Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/04/2007, 08:08 AM
I am a super nose picker

the problem is they probably won't sell them to you for that reason the DIY.Why risk making less money.ATI and Tunze probably sighned some kind of agreement on those pumps.It may be a year or two before you can get them (for a decent price) I don't see the sales of ATI slowing down anytime soon.In fact it will still be hard to get them 6 months from now.From what I have senn very high demand.They are stating to sell slowly in Canada but hard to get Demand drives price.Even at $220 per pump its not cheap.The dart Orca sells for $269 now thats a pump.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:19 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, thats a pump, but its a 3600gph pump that only does about 3000lph. The Tunze/ATI does 1000lph of air at less than 1/3 the wattage, and with a very low water throughput (1500lph). So even with three ATI/Tunze pumps, their water throughput would only be about 4500lph, or around 1000gph. I doubt that the Dart has that low of water turbulence to go with the air it does pull in.
Old 04/04/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

e-a-g-l-e-s did you ever set it up or take pictures?
Old 04/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

New skimmer should deliver monday They sent me pic's of my actual skimmer,
4.5od riser, body 8.5od 28"hgt reaction chamber,1/4" U.S.A. cast acrylic, 3 aquabee pumps, flanged coned riser, machined union, lifetime warranty on craftsmanship. Like waitin for a new car to deliver

Last edited by smackwater; 04/07/2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

how much was that skimmer? its sexy as h*ll
Old 04/07/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Sure is a beaut! The union looks sweet. I wonder how they made the venturi ... it looks like just a coupling with an air line connected, but I'm curious to know if there is somethng special inside.

I would be tempted to change out the ball valve they use for adjusting the feed for a small gate valve. My skimmer valve is already becoming difficult to open/close.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

You'll have to e-mail them about prices, sorry.
If your serious. I will tell you it was somewhat comparably priced to DAS EX3,

Smackwater
Old 04/07/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
My skimmer valve is already becoming difficult to open/close

RandyStacyE Do you have to adjust your skimmer often?

The plumbing for the aquabees looks alot like the replacement parts sold for the DAS Skimmer
[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/..._Large__2_.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by smackwater; 04/07/2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

No it seems to run pretty steady. When I do want to remove the cup I typically just shut off the feed completely (which lowers the level) and I remove/clean/replace the cup. I think it's easier this way and I don't have to shut off the recirc pump.

I've just been finding that my valve is becoming a PITA. I don't like to force things and doing so tends to wiggle the Uniseal more than I would like to.
Old 04/07/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Wow that is one nice skimmer. I like how the riser is larger a round than what you normally see.

Quote:
Originally posted by smackwater
New skimmer should deliver monday They sent me pic's of my actual skimmer,
4.5od riser, body 8.5od 28"hgt reaction chamber,1/4" U.S.A. cast acrylic, 3 aquabee pumps, flanged coned riser, machined union, lifetime warranty on craftsmanship. Like waitin for a new car to deliver

Old 04/07/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

RandyStacyE
how bout putting a valve on the other end of you inlet where you dont have to miss with the one at the skimmer and it will always be tuned to your liking. close it, open it nothing should change

Smackwater
Old 04/07/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

minireef30

Orca has two choices 3.5 and 4.5od the 3.5 was not recommended with 3 aquabees per orca systems
Old 04/07/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smackwater
RandyStacyE
how bout putting a valve on the other end of you inlet where you dont have to miss with the one at the skimmer and it will always be tuned to your liking. close it, open it nothing should change

Smackwater
That's true ... that would work.

Only I sized the feed plumbing to where I can run the valve wide open and I get 2 times my system volume gph rate. So that leaves me with only needing one valve ... and my ball valve is a PITA

I'm just thankful that I don't have anything worse to complain about
Old 04/07/2007, 12:54 PM
I am a super nose picker

Yes Hahn thats the great thing about those ATI/Tunze pumps very low wattage but 3 pumps will cost you close to $700.I would pay that kind of money.Will Tunze sell you the pumps now is the question?Would be nice to make a RC skimmer with those pumps at almost no wattage.I don't think they will be selling the pumps since its hard to get your hands on the Tunze skimmers.They were supposed to be sold in March but I haven't seen them yet.
Old 04/07/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skey44
e-a-g-l-e-s did you ever set it up or take pictures?
No pics...but it looks similar to the 3-aquabee pump one.
Difference is mine has the 3.5OD riser and 1.5" output.
I'm feeding it from one of my overflows and it already filled the 7"x3" cup (although i was skimmerless for about 10 days -- but I did a 10% water change every 3 days including the day I got it up and running which messes with surface tension and negatively affects skimming for a little while.

Sexy & built like a tank!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/07/2007, 02:05 PM
I am a super nose picker

Very nice skimmer Smackwater.You will be very happy with it.Eagles get off your lazy but and take some pics.How would you compare the Orca VS the Bermuda.I know they are two differant styled skimmers
Old 04/07/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Steve

this is the skimmer I'm replacing. been 3days since cleaning.

This things a work horse. and will be going right back on, if the NW lets me down.

Works out I'll be selling it with the pw150. a little noisy and power hungry but as you can see I have the noog. 8yrs tuning this skimmer.

I'm going to miss her.

Smackwater
Old 04/07/2007, 06:49 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
Yes Hahn thats the great thing about those ATI/Tunze pumps very low wattage but 3 pumps will cost you close to $700.I would pay that kind of money.Will Tunze sell you the pumps now is the question?Would be nice to make a RC skimmer with those pumps at almost no wattage.I don't think they will be selling the pumps since its hard to get your hands on the Tunze skimmers.They were supposed to be sold in March but I haven't seen them yet.
Oh, sure, Ive seen the Tunze listed online a couple places now for about $230. The thing is, back when ReefGeek told me that they would be selling the pumps alone (then they retracted the idea), they said about $130 per pump. AND, the ATI has a slight lph advantage over the Tunze. The real thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on these pumps though is that I dont know how they will handle back-pressure from being mounted on a taller skimmer. As is, every skimmer thay are on they are in no more than 18" of water depth... pretty shallow.
Old 04/07/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
Very nice skimmer Smackwater.You will be very happy with it.Eagles get off your lazy but and take some pics.How would you compare the Orca VS the Bermuda.I know they are two differant styled skimmers
I do not have a camera right now, sorry. I am lazy though, but not that lazy.

I cannot give a fair comparison yet because it is so new....but it uses less watts and freed up a bunch of room in my sump. It is pulling like crazy and a long time(10+years) hobbyist came by today andstated how there are so many small bubbles and they are 'pressurized' like a DD or beckett....but it had some catching up to do so it's hard to judge just yet.
Couple more weeks and i'll get a in action pic and my reviews....but i'm guessing they'll be very good

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 04/08/2007, 12:34 AM
I am a super nose picker

Eagles if the bubbles are small, yes it should be good.More than likely you will get some good skimate going soon.Hahn I do think thats the problem with those pumps.They aren't very strong(or at least don't look powerfull).I do think unless you mounted them higher in the body but tryed to extend the intake of the pump,but then back pressure will still be a problem more than likely.If there is a way to mount them higher on the body but extend the intake to minimize back pressure would it be possible to use them on a bigger ,higher body.The Bubble master works well in 6 to 8 inches of water.Can you make an RC model with these pumps.Like the DAS skimmers.Using the ATI pumps like the way Orca used the aqua b pumps on its DAS type skimmers.Is the pump beefy enough to handle back pressure
Old 04/08/2007, 12:46 AM
I am a super nose picker

Tunze pumps will sell for $255
Old 04/08/2007, 05:09 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Ive seen them as low as $230... still, alot for a 40watt pump.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:20 AM
I am a super nose picker

I think so aswell.They have to make some kind of profit.You can buy the 400 model from reefnut for that price.For the cost of one pump you can get an entire skimmer.It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy 2x 400 models and have them in a 400-500 gal system.The skimmers will cost you less than 1 skimmer.If I sell my Tunze 9020.I will get a brand new 400 model just to have as a spare skimmer.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:35 AM
I am a super nose picker

from looking at the new Tunze line it it looks like the tallest skimmer is either "22 or"27 so like you said I don't think you can use those pumps on tall skimmers.The Tunze line won't be out till Sept or Oct.I do think they missed the boat on this one.It will be very hard to beat ATI.For one Tunze is alot more expensive.I like Tunze but for what you pay its overpriced.I think it will be very hard to compete with ATI skimmers for what they can do plus what they are selling for.Since the pump is the same and ATI is running more air,plus Tunze 2 pump skimmer $963 Tunze 3 pump skimmer $1623 Those prices are on the Tunze web site.How can you charge close to $700 more for a 3 pump skimmer.Yes the body is larger wich is more cost.I for one don't think that Tunze is using "1/4 cast acrylic.I see from my 9020 its very cheaply built.Its a decent skimmer but not worth what I paid.It was to bad that when I bought it the ATI came out on the market
Old 04/09/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

New skim arrived this morning.

How long should I runn vinegar through it?