Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/31/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

orca skimmers

how are they, and would this model perform better than the aqua euro classic 400?

http://protein-skimmer.com/shopping....itemdetail.asp
Old 03/31/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

I just got a recirc. built by him.(glue drying for return plumbing)
These are built like tanks, much thicker than say an octopus, don't know how nice or thick or what type of acrylic is used on the A.E.'s.

They use true unions and a zero clearance cup on a union. Coned neck riser as well flanged with nylon bolts.

He will do any mods you want him to do as well and his speciality is cutom built.

It' ll be running tomorrow so I will be posting an initial thread on first thoughts. I've used many skimmers before, many...but this is the nicest. We'll see how it performs.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/31/2007, 06:11 PM
clownfish fan

cant wait for the results matt looks good
Old 03/31/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

While I am sure it is better built, the ORCA units look like high quality skimmers, I doubt it could come near the efficiency of the classic 400, it is just too big and has three pumps.
Old 03/31/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

How would you know that? Bigger doesn't mean better
The pumps and set-up have more to do with recirc. nw's.
Not saying the A.E. is or isn't more efficient....but at what cost? Does it skim as well? Because that's ALL that 'really' matters. 20-40 watts will not even be noticed on most set-ups.
Also, I'm running external and have four legged pets and drunk friends on weekends around and it would take a deliberate kick from a person to break this which gives me 'peace of mind'.
Not to mention, who's going to use a 10" skimmer body on <100g?

That said, I know only a little bit about thew A.E.'s and haven't even fired this bad bot up yet. And how much is a A.E. 400 shipped? Now how about already mesh-modded and sent with extra fittings to play around with if so desired?

Skwirl...you can't go wrong either way....but call him(orca) and ask what he can do for ya Those couple skimmers on his site are basically ones people order then don't end up getting. Mostly he's custom.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/31/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Foot in Mouth

I'm sorry...just realized he was comparing a standard single nw to the AE400 classic. That skimmer you have linked probably will not skim as well as a AE400. It will be smaller though, so depends on what size sytem it's for. But you should e-mail them and hear some prices for different set-ups.

Old 03/31/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

i have a 155bowfront, with 2 sumps. all together there is about 180-200gal water vol. it is fowlr, but may be reef in a year. i dont want to change skimmers if i go reef. i want to be able to keep sps if desired. at the moment i have a rather light bioload, but i like to push things, so i doubt it will be that way for long. i dont have room as of yet for the ae400, but can make room in the weeks time it takes for any skimmer to get here, so i dont mind the size at all. i already have a euroreef cs8-2 on the way, but i dont think it will be strong enough to run my tank. my last skimmer was an mrc mr2 which skimmed like a madman, but was louder than i liked, and i like the "set it and forget it" quality about the nw skimmers. i could spend $350 on a skimmer, but not more than that. what are my options? is there anything that will outperform the ae400 in that price range?
Old 03/31/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

EAGLES
I know I get frustrated too because it is so hard to acurately quantify which skimmer is better than another. From what I can tell (never saw one) the ORCAS are great, and very well built, but if you have cash constraints you could get an octopus or aquaeuro, hell you could mod an odyssea or via-aqua200, and get something that skims as good for a lot less cash, but at the cost of build quality, ease of use, your own personal time etc. Right now it is probably hard to beat the euroaqua on a cost/performance basis, unless you want to seriously mod a really cheap unit. In fact the best cost/perforamance basis is most likely a DIY unit, if you have the skills and patience to build it
Old 03/31/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

my ability to write run on sentances knows no bounds........
Old 03/31/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

For 200g, they would make something larger than that, i think.
Like a double aquabee or such.
That is the size mine is(~75 total gallons), but recirc. that is meshmodded, bore out venturi and pump output and 1.5" gate valve on the output, unlike pictured, being gravity fed from overflow T'd.

Mine will be running tomorrow if you can wait a couple days I can give you a solid review.

how much are the A.E.400's shipped?

Old 03/31/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

kodyboy...I agree, but it looks nice as well as being built better which on an external skimmer is pretty important along with the peace of mind. As for in-sump...I completely agree with you.

But the cost of a lesser built Octo or AE shipped and then modded is probably not much less, no?

Old 03/31/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
my ability to write run on sentances knows no bounds........
same here, lol, but you're a teacher

Old 03/31/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S

how much are the A.E.400's shipped?
it will be 278 shipped to my door. what about the euroreef cs8-2? its nowhere near it huh?
Old 03/31/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

what pump does the cs8-2 use? what's the dimensions on that skimmer?

Old 03/31/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

efficiency isn't 4 pumps... maybe very clean water but not efficiency
Old 03/31/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

I may be a teacher, but of biology not English
Modded they may or may not be anywhere near the cost. Mesh modding an aquaeuro classic 400 would probably cost $5 and take 10 minutes, but allow it to blow away most 8 inch diameter/24 inch tall units if not larger. Even in stock it proably is better than most units if not all in the $280-290 range....shipped!
As an external I totaly agree on the aestheitics, is that not what an aquarium is for in the first place!
Old 03/31/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

skye you are correct, I meant ability to skim, not efficient use of wattage/pumps etc.
Old 03/31/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
what pump does the cs8-2 use? what's the dimensions on that skimmer?
Pump is is a sedra kds5000 and it is 24"tall with a 8" diameter reaction chamber. i dont care at all about effecient use of wattage. i just want it to skim like crazy. i really want something that will come close to the mr2, but with no beckett. i just want a cup full of dark nastiness.
Old 03/31/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

any of the skimmers that you mentioned would skim, orca, aquaeuro etc. If you do not want a becket (why not if you like them?) then get the aquaeuro classic 400, the orca http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopp...itemdetail.asp
recirc skimmer or the aquaeuro recirc 265 all would work and do well on your system. The orca costs more, but is better built.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Matt lets see some pics I am on the fence myself.Didn't you get a bermuda skimmer as well.
Old 04/01/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

who me? no i didnt get a bermuda. i was considering them as well, but the one i think i would need to compete with the others im considering would cost quite a bit more than the $350 i can afford.
i didnt like the beckett because for a while i had a euroreef next to it. it did not perform anywhere near the mr2, but it was consistent without me touching it. i needed to adjust my mr2 at least once a week, and alot of times twice a week to keep it skimming like that. i dont expect a nw skimmer to perform like that. i dont see how one could. there is so much air thought the beckett. they are a lil loud as well if you run em wide open like i did. so the ae400 is it?

Last edited by skwirl; 04/01/2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04/01/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

hey eagles.... how did you like the bermuda stuff?
Old 04/01/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Best venturi skimmers i've ever used...second best would be a Schuran Jetskim 200 with an Eheim 1260.
My feelings: (this is for an sps with med.-heavy bioload)
Arch. - up to 75g
3C - up to 125g
5C - up to 200g
8C - up to 350/400g

Old 04/01/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

best venturi? ok i have to be getting on your nerves by now, but rate skimmers for me. on skimming ability, silence, and set it and forget it factor for my setup and price range $350>
Old 04/01/2007, 11:23 AM
I am a super nose picker

Hey EAGLES what made you decide to buy a skimmer from Shawn.He is a very nice guy.He is in the process of building me a skimmer with the dart NW pump.This skimmer will be a beast.When you order a skimmer from ORCA you get great service plus he asked you questions about your system to figure out what your tank needs.You use the epumps that you want plus he can mesh mod them for you.I can't wait to get my skimmer from him.I don't think his build quality will compare to other builders.I don't know about MR 2 because I have heard they have a good build but they also don't make NW style skimmers.I do know that Shawn will take the time and build you a good quality skimmer that is made in the U.S.A not china or korea.His prices are very fair and I think you do get alot more from him than you would buying a mass produced skimmer off the shelf.