Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2006, 02:58 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Thought you guys might like this!

Go to this link for great lighting options. not a dealer but the source will get you started!

PFO LIGHTING

thanks,

Rick

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 10/06/2006, 06:42 AM
Always Learning

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 10/06/2006, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

amphiprion, what model did you have? Sounds like beashay and his boss had the PC version. It seems all fires/smoke shows have been PC version?
Old 10/06/2006, 07:26 PM
SPS Captial of PA

It doesn't really matter what version it is. Both models use the same PC ballasts and electrical components! Switches tend to be faulty as well as electrical connections being done poorly. The only difference is the addition of more cheap parts. Example: Another cheap ballast, socket, and electrical components. Just more to burn!

POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP=CHEAP LIGHTING

CHEAP LIGHTING= HOMELESS REEFER

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 10/06/2006, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

I bought my lights I did 3 months of research. just about everyone claimed that there light burned there house down. In all the research I only found that 2 people who had there lights fry. And if you really look into it there are more fires with very respectable aquarium supply companies, such as power strips, chillers, heaters, etc.

They did have a big problem with the old ballast's so if you do get one make sure it's the 2007 version 4 ballast.

and if you can please do some research on the lights and you will See what I'm talking about.

either way.. good luck.

and unless you get the info from someone that has actually owned one, please take the info with a grain of salt. Most are just stories like I had a friend who had a friend who knew someone who's house burnt down and killed 50 people dew to the lights.

I've been a electrician for 20 years and I have a electronics degree. the problem with the old ballast's was that they used plastic capacitors which get very hot, they melted. Now they use metal capacitors just like all the others.

Just do some research.
Old 10/06/2006, 07:53 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by atvdave
I bought my lights I did 3 months of research. just about everyone claimed that there light burned there house down. In all the research I only found that 2 people who had there lights fry. And if you really look into it there are more fires with very respectable aquarium supply companies, such as power strips, chillers, heaters, etc.

They did have a big problem with the old ballast's so if you do get one make sure it's the 2007 version 4 ballast.

and if you can please do some research on the lights and you will See what I'm talking about.

either way.. good luck.

and unless you get the info from someone that has actually owned one, please take the info with a grain of salt. Most are just stories like I had a friend who had a friend who knew someone who's house burnt down and killed 50 people dew to the lights.

I've been a electrician for 20 years and I have a electronics degree. the problem with the old ballast's was that they used plastic capacitors which get very hot, they melted. Now they use metal capacitors just like all the others.

Just do some research.
I just bought the newest 20" model with electronic ballast. Shouldn't this be safer than the magnetic with capacitor?
Old 10/06/2006, 08:00 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by FLricordia
I just bought the newest 20" model with electronic ballast. Shouldn't this be safer than the magnetic with capacitor?
and I forgot to add. PFO also uses plastic capacitor which did melt in a friends 2x400wt ballast. Didn't catch fire and got a repacement capacitor at hellolights, so I would have to agree with you, all plastic (dry) capacitors are rated for no more than 105c. And after much research come to find out there are only a few co. that actually make the capacitors that light manufactures put into their ballasts, same capacitors, different label.
Old 10/06/2006, 08:12 PM
Unregistered Member

don't get that lighting, take a look at this http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=689775

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 10/07/2006, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

I have sold a number of these systems, (in my old store) I have had about 40% of the ones I sold not work out of the box or have had issues with them that are major (non working lights, ballasts that don't fire all the time, only 1 working light etc etc etc) 2 of the metal halide systems have caught on fire ...like fully on fire not just fried wiring but smoke and flames and done major (like thousands of dollars) damage to a customers home! When I contacted them (aquatraders) and threatened a lawsuit they said they could prove that the customer installed it wrong and that they were not at fault they had not even see the light!! umm.. it has plugs how can it be installed wrong? They will not warranty them nor will they give out replacements. I have been fighting them for 6 months and so far nothing....In short you get what you pay for....is your house burning to the ground worth the extra money?...thats what I thought.

THEY SUCK!!! PERIOD.
30 gallon seahorse
30 gallon octopus
30 gallon dwarf cuttlefish
12 gallon nano with fuge
Old 10/08/2006, 08:50 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
don't get that lighting, take a look at this http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=689775
I'm going to give it a try. The old models did have the mag. ballasts and the models that have just come out have ELECTRONIC ballasts.
Personally I have used Odyssea lighting for some time. Guess I am one of the lucky ones as everything is still working fine.
Old 10/09/2006, 12:33 PM
Moved On

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=946613
Old 10/09/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Meh. I see threads like this all the time. And every time one comes up, it usually has three types of responses:

1. "THEY'RE CRAP! I HEARD THEY CATCH ON FIRE! I HEARD THE WORLD WILL IMPLODE INTO SUPERDENSE MATTER IF YOU PLUG ONE IN!!!!" (about 75% of posts)

2. "I have one and though I have some issues with it (the bulbs, fit & finish, etc) I overall like it and find it worth the price" (about 23% of responses)

3. "I've had one and did not like it for various reasons (fire, melt, etc)" (about 2% of responses)

Take it like this:

The ones that have no personal experience or have not owned one of these lights can be completely disregarded. That leaves roughly 25% of the responses left. Of the responses that actually have owned one of these lights, 8% of them have had serious issues with them.

It's not a huge number, but 8% is still a pretty high failure rate. Personally, I have one 150W MH fixture, and have been overall satisfied with it. However, given the choice (if I can find the $$) I would go with a higher quality light.

But they're not the flaming deathtraps that all of these "OH MY GOD!!! IT'S AN AQUATRADERS LIGHT!!! RUN!!!!" type folks make them out to be.
Old 10/11/2006, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

well all i can say is i bought 3 lights in the last 3 months
the newer one AQUARIUM LIGHT 48" JEBO 260 POWER COMPACT W/ FANS LEGS
very happy well built for the money indead.
bought a Satellite 2x40w 20" nice light. well built, fans a little loud
then i bought a 48'' Power Compact Hood LIGHT AQUARIUM lunar 4 65 hood from aquariumlights on ebay
cause they say how good they are ameircan made not like the cheap china ones i figured what the hell ill try, as for the lunar led its a dam rope light that kinda ****ed me off
this is one piece of s**t of a light live and learn
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1
they jebo light is far better built light ,,the cheap china one and for aquatraders never had the experiance,, dont plan on it
enjoy your fishies
Old 10/11/2006, 06:50 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by UCanDoIt
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=689775

The are down the street from me, very poor quality control. Do a search on Reef Central and see the fire hazzard some of these has caused. They've changed their names a couple of times, but still the same poor quality control company.

These are made in China and almost doesn't seem like anyone checked them before putting them on the container ship to USA. When I was in there last, the technician was working on 3 returns and there were a number being sold as refurbished as they were repaired returns. Some have been lucky and had good luck.
HEY GUYS, IT'S NOT THAT AQUATRADERS IS 100% BAD ALL THE TIME. It's that their quality control is almost as if there isn't any QC. So, if you're lucky to get a good one, no problems. but if you end up with a bad one, good luck to you. Customer service isn't consistent as well. Sometimes they're nice and other times it's almost as if they want to throw you out.
Old 10/11/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

now u guys have me confused what does that have to do with what they sell
im sure they arent building these lights jebo is a seperate company there is plenty of people that sell the same thing aquatraders sells
u guys make it sound like they are the manufacture of the light
one thread on here was talking about sueing them what would they be doing suing the store that sells them and not the company that makes the light
so kinda sucks there getting such a bad rap cause i see guys paying a average of 20 to 30 dollars more for the 48 " pc light
so they do have good prices
sounds like they need better custormer service and try not be such a greety little buisness
Old 10/11/2006, 07:14 PM
Moved On

Aquatraders is the exclusive importer of Jebo (renamed to Odyssea) products from China. Aquatraders has also gone through several name changes as well, but still the same owners.