Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Is ODYSSEA metal halide lighting any good?

Is ODYSSEA metal halide lighting any good?
Old 10/02/2006, 03:36 PM
Always Learning

No, there are enough horror stories to keep me away.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 10/02/2006, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboSnail8898
No, there are enough horror stories to keep me away.
Can you show me some of the threads about them? I cannot do a search option. This is the only forum that I have been on in which a member cannot do a search on certain topic.
Old 10/02/2006, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Mine works perfectly fine. No problems at all.

even had good coral growth with them
Old 10/02/2006, 09:24 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

mine works fine, but im chanign to an aqualight asap

if i were you id save up for longer to get an aqualight, youll be much happuer, instead of spending money on one, then changing, its cheaper

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 10/02/2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

i have one too.. no problems well worth 100 bucks guys are paying to much on ebay
bulbs are worth 40 bucks alone even if a ballast go bad u can replace it
and for fires or a short well thats why we have circut breakers
but u must have a cover or a fan blowing on it u dont want evaporation water getting in the light
any light will short out
Old 10/02/2006, 09:51 PM
Always Learning

CyberGuy- If you want a quality lighting system then spend the money on a Aquamedic or IceCap retro with spider reflectors.

Old 10/02/2006, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

after doing a lot of research before I purchased mine I only found 2 people who had there ballast fry, and they where the old type ballast. There are many people who claimed that they are bad but most (95%) of the never owned one.

As long as you get the new ballast -- ver. 4 you should be fine. and a note, other very popular ( and pricey) aquarium brands have fried also..
Old 10/02/2006, 10:04 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Mine has been working great. The latest model has an improved ballast. I keep mine elevated with a fan on it.

The fixture itself,I upgraded the fans and it runs cooler then my old PC fixture.

Yes, there are better lights out there, but value/cost ratio is great with these.
Old 10/02/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

i kinda jumped the gun i didnt see metal halide thought it was the compact fixture
sooo i like turbo snail idea icecap and spider is they way to go
i have icecaps running for 4 years now` 660 and 2 250 electronic been very happy

build a canopy
Old 10/03/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Look at this MH light. It is version 4 and has multiple plug-ins.

It is cheap...only about $150.

I want to get the four bulbs Tek 5 system but it costs about $300.....twice as much as this Odyssea MH.

Tough decision.
Old 10/03/2006, 01:20 AM
Always Learning

You can buy it, but you will end up replacing your lighting and wasting the money you spent on it.

Old 10/03/2006, 01:25 AM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

I had a Jebo PC fixture ages ago. In short, it was junk. Junk bulbs, junk ballast, junk reflector, etc.
Old 10/03/2006, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

i got one of the 36 " models for a 29 gal tank so far it has been very good up 2 mounths
Old 10/03/2006, 09:51 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Had one start a fire at the store
Old 10/03/2006, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

It's cheap. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for
12gl Aquapod
New "custom euro" 90 gallon under construction!
Old 10/03/2006, 11:07 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Amphiprion
Had one start a fire at the store
Just like the Geissman's do at a store near me?
Old 10/03/2006, 12:17 PM
GO DUCKS!

all i have to say is try contacting them... the only contact information on their site is a disconnected phone number. good luck if something goes bad and you need a replacement.
Old 10/03/2006, 02:49 PM
Moved On

FWIW, I have one for over 2 years now and it works perfectly for me. I even like the colouring from the 20K bulbs a lot too.
Old 10/03/2006, 03:08 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I just got the Odyssea 48" 4 x 65W PC lighting fixture from Aquatraders without any problems. I worked right out of the box.
Old 10/03/2006, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

heh kinda funny how much people bag on this company. Do the math, there is nothing better out there for the price. Just because it is made in China don't bash it. They sucked in the beginning, but as with any new biz, they cleaned up the bugs and are now producing quality stuff. I am not a fan of the 20k, not enough power, but I have great growth with the 10k.
Old 10/03/2006, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

For me personally I will never buy another Odyssea product.. I have had mine for a month and last night I heard a noise looked around smoke coming out of the top that smelled of burnt wire and rubber. Went into to work today where I just got my boss into saltwater and had him order the same thing.. 48' 4 65w and tell him mine burnt up well.. his isnt working either and he has only had his for two weeks.. NO more Odyssea products for me. A waste of money trying to save.. We both purchased ours from different places.. he got his from Aquatraders so we will see how well they will work with him. Beware...
Old 10/04/2006, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

"heh kinda funny how much people bag on this company. Do the math, there is nothing better out there for the price."
Do the math, your house burning down - 100 dollars you saved = you still being in the red...
Or do the math of how much per month your lighting costs you after it only lasts 6 months and you have to buy a new one.

Cheap lighting is one of the biggest mistakes new people make. After a year of reading about reefs I can say I have a way better understanding of lighting, and to a new person, Id never recomend a cheap brand like odyssea.

Same reason why Id never recomend a rio pump or a won lcd heater. A device known for high failure rates do not belong in your reef.
Old 10/04/2006, 12:27 AM
Always Learning

It amazes me that people advocate Odyssea products. I don't want my light to just not burn my house down. I also want it to have good intenisty and color. I have had my IceCap system for over a year now and never had even the slightest problem. I would be very surprised if I did in the next 5 years. Simply put, Odyssea products are a risk and not worth the saved money.

Old 10/06/2006, 02:52 AM
SPS Captial of PA

I have a cheap jebo PC light I use on my seahorse tank. I hate it. I have seen the Odyssey or whatever they are out there and thought about it, but...

I have to advocate for PFO light fixtures. I love them. EXPENSIVE? YES!!!!!!!!!!!! but service with it is always great. I had a capacitor go bad in a MH ballast. I called and it was mailed and in my hand in less than 5 working days. That's service! I have other PFO fixtures too, and never had a problem with them. The only drawback is the "PRICE". IMO price is moot when you get the best, and not have to worry about killing your tank, burning your house down, or electrifying yourself by touching it and having something malfunction. By that point in life, you really would have wished you bought a good(scratch that) a Great lighting system that cost twice or three times more and not have the hassle, the death of the tank, or the burial of a family member who unexpectedly died from trying to feed your fish. Oh and if that's not to boot, you had to bury Sparkie the three legged dog, and Sylvester the cat in the back yard because the house burned down all because you were trying to save a little "$"

JMO

Rick

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS