Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Richmond Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 08:57 AM
Mother won't be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by LB
It's definantly a gamble! My thought is that under a power outage the impellar should be under water since the sump will fill and the level will be equal in the line. I've no idea I checked around and noone seemed to know for sure so I just decided to try. Will save alot of room if it works if not I get to buy more fittings and do it over---It's a win-win!!!

I have a problem with my return pump when I get air in the line during a water change (if I am not careful). It will lose suction and not prime itself. So to get it going again I jam a mag-drive pump into the inlet in the sump and get it going again...not the best situation but it only happens on very rare occasions (like if I drain the sump completely)...that might work for you as well if you needed to resart the pump after sucking air.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Alright, I've been in the bed for 2 days and I finally made it back under the house to plumb the chiller and this time I remembered the camera.

Here are the 4 piers and supports that I built

Photobucket

Here's the chiller in it's new home!!

Photobucket

And here is my 400w ballasts mounted in a metal tool box for a little added protection.This saved alot of room and heat putting them under the house!

Photobucket

I also did a dry run(or wet) of the pump and it worked fine as long as the sump is full(which is where I usually keep the water level under a power outage).I may add a check valve just to be safe but only as a backup(in case something changes the water level(ato fails,ect). I have the rest of the plumbing mocked up and it just needs to be glued,but I've felt so bad it is'nt done yet.Maybe today and I'll get some pics when it's done. I'm so close to at least firing the pump it's killing me! Later
Old 12/21/2007, 11:17 AM
Mother won't be happy

Don't you just love hanging out in a dank dark crawl space

Nice to hear your pump config will work!
Old 12/21/2007, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Looks good...I'm suprised you mortarred everything together...the supports for my house are just stacked... Looks good though, and I definitely like the idea of the ballasts under the house...maybe I'll have to try this idea if/when I upgrade...

Question about the plumbing under the house though...don't you have any worry about freezing? Although, I suppose with the water constantly moving it can't freeze...I was just questioning because I'm thinking that when I get my RO/DI unit I may run 1/2" tubing under the house all the way to the ATO tank so that I can keep the ATO reservoir filled...and just have some sort of valve or what-not right after the RO/DI unit so that I can mix salt water by turning of the ATO fill...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 12/21/2007, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Reefer
Looks good...I'm suprised you mortarred everything together...the supports for my house are just stacked... Looks good though, and I definitely like the idea of the ballasts under the house...maybe I'll have to try this idea if/when I upgrade...

Question about the plumbing under the house though...don't you have any worry about freezing? Although, I suppose with the water constantly moving it can't freeze...I was just questioning because I'm thinking that when I get my RO/DI unit I may run 1/2" tubing under the house all the way to the ATO tank so that I can keep the ATO reservoir filled...and just have some sort of valve or what-not right after the RO/DI unit so that I can mix salt water by turning of the ATO fill...
I have about 50ft of 1/4 line running to my sump and it has never frozen.It runs pretty frequently as to not change the salinity too much so this may help.If you pipes dont freeze up I would'nt think you'll have a problem
Old 12/21/2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neptune777
Don't you just love hanging out in a dank dark crawl space

Nice to hear your pump config will work!
It's depressing how much work that it took to pop off 2 or 3 pics.My daughter thinks that my room is under the house
Old 12/21/2007, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LB
It's depressing how much work that it took to pop off 2 or 3 pics.My daughter thinks that my room is under the house
Guess you could consider the crawl space your "equipment room" as if you had an in-wall build!! Just a really dark, damp and dank room!!

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 01/04/2008, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Ok, I've got the plumbing finished and leak tested,fixed leaks,leak tested,fixed leaks--you get the idea.Yesterday I drained the well water,stacked rocks and filled (almost) with saltwater(better for fish imo).Today, Finished wiring the canopy and cleaned the laundryroom floor with ro/di!! That's my update!!

Now! After I finished all that I decided to spend some time on a creative aquascape. I by no means am attempting to copy from anyone(Especially anyone who just posted pics of there idea),because that would just be wrong!!! This idea (that became a reality today) was thought up over 57 years ago when I was at my favorite watering hole. I still have the original napkin with the sketch (and some other unidentified stains) to this day!!! Again this idea is absolutely original.

Photobucket

Ok! I'm Done here are the real pics. The back is totally open so the fish have 4 or 5 inches all the way around(hard to get pic). This is way different than I'm used too but I think it will be cool !

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 01/04/2008, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

No Love? Or is everyone mixing table salt in diet coke!
Old 01/04/2008, 08:46 PM
Mouth Pipetting

Quit being so impatient for compliments . . . it looks good.

Is that the "new" MJmod? I just ordered two and I'm waiting to get 'em in. One of my DIY ones was giving me trouble so I killed it earlier this week.
Old 01/04/2008, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Almost had me with the deer head! looks great . are you staying bare bottom? what do you think about bridging one of the gaps so that fish can swim through? but again it looks good as is
Old 01/04/2008, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Montgomery
Quit being so impatient for compliments . . . it looks good.

Is that the "new" MJmod? I just ordered two and I'm waiting to get 'em in. One of my DIY ones was giving me trouble so I killed it earlier this week.
You love giving compliment and you know it!!!

The mod is sureflow I've had it a couple weeks and just hooked it up yesterday! The instructions say that the prop will hit the stop and it will make noise and it did.Last night it was so loud that I almost chuck it, but today it's been quiet.The box said it has to break in,I don't know this is my first mod.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxtriggermanxx
Almost had me with the deer head! looks great . are you staying bare bottom? what do you think about bridging one of the gaps so that fish can swim through? but again it looks good as is

Thanks My plan is for corals to bridge the gaps so right now it kind of looks unfinished to me also. I've never left so much open area before but I want to still have some open space a couple years from now. we'll see

I'm not sure about the bare bottom is ok right now but I was planning to add sand.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Dave, I was just playing with you a little, with the deer head.Just wanted to make sure my post didn't read like I was serious! I'm looking forward to seeing those tiki's in person!

By the way, how much do you charge to quarantine fish my tangs all have ich again I think once I get all the corals in the new tank I'm goin to qt the fish while I still have the 90 up.Two tanks is a pain though! Qt could be a good side biz if you did'nt have to soak up any losses
Old 01/04/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Looks good LB! On the SureFlows: If it rattles a lot when they turn on, rotate the shield a little and try it again. That moves the stopper. As you try it, you'll get to a point where the propeller hits the stop and then starts up without all the chatter.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rick s
Looks good LB! On the SureFlows: If it rattles a lot when they turn on, rotate the shield a little and try it again. That moves the stopper. As you try it, you'll get to a point where the propeller hits the stop and then starts up without all the chatter.
It wasn't so much on start-up,but just ever once and awhile it just started rattling almost sounded like it was vibrating on the side of the tank! I restricted the output with my hand and it would stop only to start again later. It's fine today not a peep!
Old 01/05/2008, 07:05 AM
Mother won't be happy

Quote:
Originally posted by LB
Dave, I was just playing with you a little, with the deer head.Just wanted to make sure my post didn't read like I was serious! I'm looking forward to seeing those tiki's in person!

By the way, how much do you charge to quarantine fish my tangs all have ich again I think once I get all the corals in the new tank I'm goin to qt the fish while I still have the 90 up.Two tanks is a pain though! Qt could be a good side biz if you did'nt have to soak up any losses

I thought it was pretty damn funny LB. I love and welcome all tomfoolery in this club!

For me a QT is a must and I think I have it nailed down now. Doing it in the 90 sounds like a solid plan! What will you use for the layout?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

For me a QT is a must and I think I have it nailed down now. Doing it in the 90 sounds like a solid plan! What will you use for the layout? [/B][/QUOTE]

I haven't got quite that far yet!!Might pick your brain when I get closer!
Old 01/05/2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I like how open the aquascape is LB

Couple suggestions, and these are certainly just IMO

Things are a bit on the symmetrical side (for my tastes anyway ), I would like to see a little variation in height between the left mound and the center mound, and maybe a change in distance from the front glass. Working a bit of a shelf/overhang on one of the side mounds would look good too I think.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr294
I like how open the aquascape is LB

Couple suggestions, and these are certainly just IMO

Things are a bit on the symmetrical side (for my tastes anyway ), I would like to see a little variation in height between the left mound and the center mound, and maybe a change in distance from the front glass. Working a bit of a shelf/overhang on one of the side mounds would look good too I think.
The side pic does'nt show the dist. from glass well! The rock you see is the closest to the glass(I put it there for bright zoas), hard to get in a 2d pic. I'm with you on the symmetry but I still have a few rocks and a lot of corals some on rock. I was trying to get the left and right mounds to be taller and more irregular and the center slightly shorter,but I only had hard-headed rocks. I always struggle with the rocks but the more I look at it the more I like it. The pics don't show very well, It's designed to be seen with a beer in hand,and in person
Old 01/05/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LB
The side pic does'nt show the dist. from glass well! The rock you see is the closest to the glass(I put it there for bright zoas), hard to get in a 2d pic. I'm with you on the symmetry but I still have a few rocks and a lot of corals some on rock. I was trying to get the left and right mounds to be taller and more irregular and the center slightly shorter,but I only had hard-headed rocks. I always struggle with the rocks but the more I look at it the more I like it. The pics don't show very well, It's designed to be seen with a beer in hand,and in person
You name the time I'll bring the beer
Old 01/05/2008, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

You bring the beer I'll make TIME !!!!