Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/10/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get my hands on one of the finalized "mod" kits. Very nicely done but it does make a slight hum. I have a feeling this is the nature of the beast and there is no way to get around it. The one gripe I have is that the mounting arm/brace is not included with the rest of the kit. It is available as an option in either clear or black acrylic.
Jon
Old 04/10/2006, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Any idea how much they are going to cost?? Bob

Tomorrows another day, the sun will shine again. me
Old 04/10/2006, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Not sure what you guys would pay in a group buy. I know what I paid though
Honestly I think it money well spend... cheaper than Tunze, more reliable than Seio and looks a whole lot better than anything anyone can make in their garage.

http://reefdom.com/Phreef.asp
Old 04/10/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Buy 4 or More 10% off.
The impellar and guard kit is listed at $79.99, but is being offered at a special introductory price of $59.99. If you order 4 or more, the price per item is $54.00.

The impellar, gurard, and acrylic bracket kit is $72.99. If you buy for or more, the price per item is $65.69. However:
Quote:
due to high demand, we currently have a 1-2 week lead time for all orders
Who is organizing the group buy?
Old 04/10/2006, 09:27 PM
reefaholic

Jon, are these from the 'Lutz' guy that was here on RC? His original price was $20 I think... The impellar doesn't look the same either. The impellar on this kit looks less capable than the 2 Nitro/Hammer props I have on my diy one.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/10/2006, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

That is a different kit than the one I am waiting for (that is not the lutz/triton aquatics kit).

I plan to organize a group buy on the lutz kits once my production models come in. There was a delay and I don't have my kits yet (they aren't ready).
Old 04/10/2006, 09:30 PM
reefaholic

Ah, those are the kits I am looking for. Please let me know when they are available.

Old 04/10/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

kroe, what's the difference between the two kits? Sadly, I don't have a clear understanding of how either works and the available information isn't exactly easy to consume.
Old 04/10/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I'll reply to this thread when they come in. I have been bugging him about it regularly, and he assures me they'll be here soon.
Old 04/10/2006, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

I bought one of the kits from the website listed above - I will be the guinea pig this time around - will post pics ASAP...plus a review...
Old 04/10/2006, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

The lutz kit has the same look to the guard, but the impeller is molded, it is more like a screw than a boat propeller. I don't have pics, but they can be found on this site.

Basically the lutz kit was a very nice garage project that looked professional. They work great but have some minor issues (some of the original impellers broke, some of them are a bit loud), but put out a ton of flow. The production kits should solve the issues and will be out very soon. I should be getting three of the production kits in the first batch (before the packaging is even done).

I will post pics/feedback as soon as they come in. If they are as good as the garage kits people will eat them up, if they are better quality (solve the noise issue) then they may be the best thing going for the money by a long shot.
Old 04/10/2006, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Wasn't aware these were being put out by different individuals. So far the kit in the link above has been working like a champ (we've had one on display for a few weeks now.) If someone brings one of the Lutz kits to a meeting I'll bring one of these and we can compare flow. I'd be curious to see if the Lutz kit goes up in price with the demand being so high.
Jon
Old 04/10/2006, 09:49 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Quote:
Originally posted by Obi-dad
Ah, those are the kits I am looking for. Please let me know when they are available.
I second this. Just let me know when kroe. BTW that green acro frag I got from you is finally starting to color up nicely. My MH bleached it quite abit, but it's comming around.
Old 04/11/2006, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Well if the lutz kit is close in price to the reefdom one and hums to , Ill build my own . I dont care what it looks like $60 for an impeller and a nicer looking guard doesnt seem worth it to me .
Old 04/11/2006, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

Yea price seems a bit high. More then I paid for my SEIO 2600. May wait to see what the cost is on the controller for that.

Old 04/11/2006, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I like the Seios, but these things have one huge advantage... the prototype kits I have definitely put out more than my Seio 1100, but the MJ with the kit is way smaller than a Seio 620. The 1100 is huge, the MJ with the kit is less than half the size.
Old 04/11/2006, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I fully agree on the advantage of these and will no doubt have at least 2 on a wavemaker but at that high price Ill just make my own . Although I do like the reefdom brackets over some others Ive seen and those seem on price wise .
Old 04/12/2006, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I made 2 myself. $25 for 4 propellers and the rods with shipping. The other stuff I got at lowes. It's $30 for 2 mods and I have more rods to do prolly 15 more.

1 is silent and the other is a slight hum, the peice moved in the lathe when I was drilling the rod hole.(oops)

To do the holder, I just took the old one that came with the pump and heated and bent it.

HTH
Old 04/12/2006, 07:29 PM
reefaholic

Nice. Which props did you use?

Old 04/13/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

2 each of the white ones. The ones in the first pics of the mod thread. They said 1-1/4" but they look small to me in the housing. I think the 1-1/2" would be alot better. They are only like a $1 each so I may "upgrade".
Old 04/13/2006, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

I talked to Lutz yesterday. His wife is in the hospital again, so there is a delay. The mold should have been finished today, and injection molding will start as soon as it is done. He hopes the first kits will go out next week. I'll update this thread when they come in.

I may try throwing some propellers (dburr style) into my MJs with the lutz shield and mount to see how they compare. Even if the propellers turned out better the Lutz kit would be worth it (to me)for the professional looking shield and mount.

Can't wait until the final kits show up... I feel bad pestering him about them when his wife is sick.
Old 04/15/2006, 09:45 AM
Coral Killer

Hey if any of you guys end up with or can make and extra diy kit, I would love to take it off you hands. I could use a couple but just don't have the time to dimy(do it my self). Looks don't matter because its going to be under/behind some rocks
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 05/03/2006, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Any word on the Lutz kit?

Old 05/03/2006, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

He keeps saying they'll be here "next week" I am losing hope...

I ordered some supplies to make some kits and will be comparing that to the lutz kits I have.