Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2005, 08:54 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Great Idea about theat protection.
I'm planning flow for my 125. Also 72"
I wanna drill for a closed loop like you did. I'm just wondering if those hole Sizes will do for me. I plan on useing The Sequence Reeflow Dart for the closed loop portion. I'm also wanting to drill my two returns from my sump into the back as well, but I'm afraid that might be to many holes in the back. What do you think?

BTW, my 125 is 1/2" thick glass. I'm not sur if that makes a differance as to how many holes can saftly be drilled in the back.
Old 11/16/2005, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Doody,
I too am using the Dart for my closed loop. It will be plumbed through an Oceans Motions 4-way to the returns. I haven't bought the OM unit yet so I have no idea how well I'm going to flow with the 1"returns. I was initially going with more holes but scaled back a bit to simplify pumbing outside the tank. I think I'll be good but can't wait to test.

I also have a Dart for my sump return. Man is that overkill... I have my return valves cranked down almost shut and still have more than enough flow through my sump. I chose the Dart for my sump return as well for a couple reasons.

1. Future expansion - I intend to feed my Calcium Reator, chiler and possibly another tank in another room off it in the future.

2. Swapability - With only one pump type in the system, if one goes down I can hot swap the other in its place to limp by until I can have another shipped in.

As for number of hole the glass can support, I have no idea. However I do have a 29gal sump with 1 2" bulkhead and 3 1" bulkheads in one end. No problems so far but it has only been a couple days. I would think you could go with a lot more holes than I did in the back of a 125 but do a search on here and find more examples before you go nuts.
Old 11/16/2005, 01:13 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Thanks for the advice. Yeah a dart for closed loop and return is a bit much, but cyou have decent reasons for doing so. I was gonna use the om 4way as well.
I was gonna use the GEN-X PCX55 for the return. Its rated at 1200gph. I was gonna split this to two eductors, but not sure now. As I hear these eductors can double the output of the pump, and that might be overkill. What do you think?
Old 11/16/2005, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

I've always heard that 600 - 800 GPH flow through the sump is about optimal for a compromise between flow, bubble control and leaves the option to use a refugeum compartment in the sump… This also varies with sump size of course; this assumes a 30+ or so gallon sump. I’m no expert but I’d say that, accounting for head loss, the pump you listed is probably about right alone assuming a similar sized sump to above.

Also no harm in over sizing the pump and throttling it back (within reason) on the pressure side to allow for future expansion.

Don't know much about eductors.
Old 11/16/2005, 09:05 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Well, if I can get it under the stand, I'd like to go with a 55g sump. I might add a compartment for some macro + LR. However, if I do that, I'd just run a tee off the return to the fuge part for lower gph.

As far as eductors, do a search. It seems to me they're just a plastic nozzel at the ends of your return lines that kinda act like Seio's in the way they disperse flow. I also read they can double to triple the output from a pump. I've seen a couple DIY ones, but i've got more to learn about them.
Old 11/16/2005, 09:21 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

I've gotta dumb question. After you install the plumbing in the bulkheads, what do you do on the wet/inside of the tank? Do you run pvc from the bulkheads to point your flow, or just leave it alone at the bulkhead?
Does that even make any sense?
Got any closer pic of the inside?
Old 11/16/2005, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

This one help a little?

I ran PVC that will be covered by sand.
Old 11/17/2005, 08:10 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Hey thanks! You've been a big help.
BTW, where do your return lines from the sump come in? Through the over flows?
Old 11/17/2005, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doody
Hey thanks! You've been a big help.
BTW, where do your return lines from the sump come in? Through the over flows?
Yep
Old 12/01/2005, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

WOO HOO!

My OM 4-way showed up yesterday... happily plumbing away. As soon as the closed loop is done I'll test flow and then it's time for sand.

Old 12/02/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Good work coming along nicely.
Old 12/02/2005, 10:40 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Are you ready for LR and water yet? what's your next move?
Old 12/03/2005, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Hey Doody.

Next step is to finish plumbing this weekend. Just need to glue everything. I also need to paint the PVC on the back wall black so it's less noticeable.

Once plumbing is done, I'll run the closed loop along with the return with test water just to make sure there are no leaks, problems with flow, etc. Once I feel good that everything is solid (most likely next weekend), I'll drain the test water and start filling it with RO water, mix in the salt, add the sand and wait for the cloudiness to clear.

I think I'm going to use mostly dead base rock from a local fish place (cost and time) for the base rockwork. I'll also transfer over my 60 odd lbs of live rock from my 55gal and start watching for the cycle.

While the tank cycles I'll start working on my auto top-off and buy some lights. I'm planning to go all T5 lighting.
Old 12/03/2005, 08:53 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

What corals are you planning to keep? I wanna go sps dominated, and am debating my light system. Eventually I'll probably have to go with halides, but I'm thinking I can start off with t-5. Then I can add the halides later, and use the t-5's for supplimental lighting.
Old 01/16/2006, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

It's been a little while so it's time for an update.

I tested the flow...

Looked good to me

Then I drained and put the sand in. I picked up the sand a while back from a place that said it was southdown sand in unmarked bags. Seems like it's the right size and material. Next time I do this I will rinse the sand before it goes in the tank. I get a lot of tiny particles that stay suspended once swept up off the sand bed. Would have been nice to remove those before they went in the tank.

Next is lights...
Old 01/16/2006, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

I was pretty torn between T5 and Halides for this tank. After a lot of reading and discussing, I decided on Halides.

I wanted the most flexible setup I could find. I plan on keeping SPS and some clams as well as some rics, frogspawn and maybe even a shroom or two.

First thing I had to do was make room for the ballasts.

That should do it...
I chose to supliment the Haldies with VHO Actinics. 2 6' URI Super Actinics run on an ARO ballast.

The lower bulb sits in the 45 degree recess in the wall and points at a 45 degree angle towards the back of the tank. I installed 1/4 round shelves on each side to attach the second VHO that points strait down. Light pattern seems to have come out pretty good.

Then I hung the first of my Halides. I will have to buy the other 2 (right and left) after I go donate blood again.

And here they are on...

Old 01/16/2006, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm using 250watt DE aqualine ab 10k bulbs. The pendants are PFO Minis and the ballasts are PFO HQI.

Here's how it looks with only the one Halide and the VHO.

It's a little blue but not as blue as the photo would lead you to believe. We'll see how it turns out when I get the rest of the Halides.

Also ordered some base rocks from Hirocks. Nice stuff.

I said "Large and interesting shapes". So I got 2 30lbs rocks that are pretty cool and have lots of crevaces. I pretty happy and thinking about ordering another 60lbs only smaller.

I've got the rocks and some of the liverock from my old system setup now but the sand storm is clearing. I'll post more pics again later.

Other than that, I'm running the system watching water parameters. I did empty my sump and add a couple more baffles before my return pump yesterday but that's about it. Need more money.
Old 01/16/2006, 08:58 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

First of all, looking good. Second, stop donating blood. Sperm generates more $$$
Old 01/16/2006, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

you can also give more often, well depends on the age...
Old 01/16/2006, 10:03 PM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Do you have both darts hooked up? Does'nt look like you're getting a sand storm from all that flow. Obviously a good thing.
Old 01/16/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

wow i am aw struck to see it done blow by blow it great this is coming along quite nicly makeing me wish i owned my own house and 125 or larger to also consider doing what u are congrats and i hope u continue the post n progress
Old 01/16/2006, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Hey Doody
Think of all the money I've wasted over the years!

I do have both Darts hooked up. The one I'm using as a return is cranked down to almost nothing though.

No sand storm... though I do have to run the valves on my top two outlets of my closed loop 1/4 closed. I was getting low spots in the sand where those outlets point. I also have tiny sand particles suspended in the water, thought they were microbubbles at first. I'm going to keep an eye on them and may close the valves on the bottom returns down a little too.

Next I'll prolly paint the shelf white and clean up my wiring. I can do that for free.
Old 01/16/2006, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOX
wow i am aw struck to see it done blow by blow it great this is coming along quite nicly makeing me wish i owned my own house and 125 or larger to also consider doing what u are congrats and i hope u continue the post n progress
Thanks MOX!
I'll keep posting... though it seems a couple weeks usually go by between posts.
Old 01/17/2006, 08:27 AM
HuNkWiTbIgTrUnK

Can't wait til I get to the point of doing projects that are free. Right now I'm just working my butt off to buy all the equipment I need. Got the starboard, return pump, all my penductors, and bulkheads. I should be drilling soon. I still need alot of equipment.
Old 01/17/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Looking good now it's wet! that flow looks good as well.
As for the floating sand I found a small filter with some floss will polish the water up I did the same thing with my sand added before rinsing only take a few hours.
Keep the updates coming