Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Herb

[QUOTE]Is this the evidence you were looking for? I thought it was pretty self evident...QUOTE]

That's been available for a while and I'm certainly not knocking that which has been provided, it's pretty high level and much of it is anecdotal. Looking at some of the marine based papers, most of the authors do admit that they don't truely understand the underlying mechanisms to a comfortable degree.

Quote:
but if you need proof...[/
Yep, I want the WHOLE story, including the results from the bacterial sampling that was performed.
Somene must have gone the whole nine yards!

Quote:
skewing of alkalinity
increase in sulphate
potential reduction of tertiary electron acceptors (Fe, Mn e.tc)
potential production of hydrogen sulphide
are just a side effects ?
How do you deal with the side effects ? do they exist ? do the manufacturers make them clear ?

Quote:
And BTW, the process works the same in saltwater as in fresh, only not quite as fast.
This seems to get stated rather alot, SAME noway, SIMILAR possibly, the environments are simply too many miles apart.

Tony,

Quote:
I don't even test anymore.
so all must be well then , No seriously, coupled with the rest of the stuff you do, It's probably all good There is no doubt that Nitrate reduction occurs, just asking that you keep the potential side effects in mind.

Apologies for what may appear to be pettiness, but I simply feel a more complete understanding would be of use.
Old 11/04/2005, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Not to disturb the very interesting discussion on the chemistry side of these filthers.
As somenone said, these are common practice in europe.

And they work. Takes a lot of time to get startet, then they work for a long time.
Loks like this:

http://www.reefs.dk/nitrat_filt.htm

Yould find a lot on German On-line shops. too.

Last edited by Lars m; 11/04/2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11/11/2005, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_..._biodenitrator

Mark
Old 11/11/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Ok lets try agian

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...denitrator.asp

Mark
Old 11/11/2005, 12:52 PM
Moved On

I made one. I have many eheim cannister filters left over from the freshwater days...so I took a 2217 and made a recircualting loop for it so the pump just feeds itself. Then, in this loop, I added 1/4" quick-connects for the inlet/outlets. Its pretty much a calcium reactor without the CO2 input....which it exactly what the korallin is. The quick recirculating method seems to be the best idea however...to keep big buildups in possible toxic gasses broken up.