Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/22/2004, 01:00 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Well,
I am a 5 time member now.
Just got my MRC FMC 24-6.
Pics of it can be seen here.
Old 06/22/2004, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

anyone with mr-1 skimmer

I am setting up my mr-1 and want to know if the gen-x 6000 pump can be used externally because i do not have enough room in my sump for both pump and skimmer
thanks
and how would I do it if it is possible
please be as detailed as possible
and andy is on vacation so I can't call him
thanks
Old 06/22/2004, 03:05 PM
Fish Addict

Beats me. Do you have a bulkhead to plumb the pump to? Over the top plumbing for skimmer pumps bites.
Old 06/22/2004, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

yeah the pump can with a bulkhead because it says it can be used either internally or externally but would I just run one end the inlet with tubing going into my sump then the outlet to the skimmer in the sump
Old 06/22/2004, 06:49 PM
Fish Addict

That ain't gonna work real well. You've got no way to prime the pump.
Old 06/22/2004, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I'm dying to share this with someone and my wife just isn't as thrilled as I'd like her to be. I just upgraded the pump on my MR-2 from a MAG 24 to an Iwaki 70 RTL and I can't believe the difference. I used to run the water level at about 4.0" up the first riser with the MAG, now I'm running it about 2" below the first riser (yes the water level can't be seen when you shut off the air input). I'm getting the fluffiest "gunk" that I've ever seen....I can't wait to see what I collect through the weekend.

The only bad thing is the skimmer is LOUD!!!! I can't even hear the Iwaki running it's so loud. Good thing I have a separate fish room in the basement or my wife would kill me.....she already commented on the incredible noise.

I thing the Iwaki 70 might be a little overkill for what I have now, but I had a second bulkhead drilled so hopefully I'll get a second injector soon.

Thanks for listening...........I'm now a believer that you really need a serious pump to get the full benefit of a beckett.

I love my MR-2!
Old 06/22/2004, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I agree, it is amazing what a serious pump will do on a MR2. I put a small sequence 750 on mine. I have an older MR2 and it has a 1/2" pipe thread on the inlet to the injector. I had an old beckett laying around so I made a DIY housing with a 3/4" inlet and this thing is like a different skimmer. Huge improvement. Right now I have it in the garage curing rock for the new tank so the noise isn't a problem, but when I set the tank up in the family room I will have to dial down the air until the noise is tolerable or go back to the Mag 18.

Derek
Old 06/22/2004, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

It's official, I got my MR-2 today!

Just hooked it up but it is not dialed in yet. Boy is it bigger than I expected but really nice. I have not decided where I will put it yet. I have a 55 gallon as my sump/refuge but it is a little cramped with all the macro and LR. Right now I have a sheet of plexi sitting on top of the 55 with the MR-2 on top of that and the Gen-X 8500 sitting in the 55 pumping up to the MR-2.

Any suggestions? Where do most people put theirs? My 55 is NOT drilled. I thought of keeping it on a shelf next to the 55 with the gate valve level with the top of the 55. What do you think?

Mike
Old 06/22/2004, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Derek,

it also may have something to do with curing the live rock. Fresh live rock is loaded with organics so if you throw most any type of skimmer on there, you will most likely get "better" results...

Just my 2 cents.

Peace,
John H.
Old 06/22/2004, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

John,

I ran with the Mag 18 for 2.5 weeks on the live rock before changing over. Change over took about an hour, huge difference in the volumne of fine bubbles in the skimmer. Unlikely the difference was due to something other than the pump and the increased injector input size.

Derek
Old 06/23/2004, 06:34 AM
Reef Addict

lesniewv i also went from a mag 24 to iwaki 70rlt so i know just what u mean but instead of getting a second injector i got a 12 inch Riser & it works AWesome.
Old 06/23/2004, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

I found that when you add the second injector, the same amount of water is proccessed through the skimmer because your still using the same pump, but the air is doubled because of the second injector. Massive improvement.

-Terry
Old 06/23/2004, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Is there a reason installing an MR-2 would cause my water to cloud up? I installed it last night and now my water is completely cloudy.

Mike
Old 06/23/2004, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE:

I think I know what happened. Two days ago my bubble tip anemone climbed into the overflow and got sucked into my pump from the old skimmer. I think I stirred things up and there were some pieces floating around or stuck in my macro algae that got loose and caused the water to get cloudy.

Does this sound correct? If so, I am going to do a partial water change.

Mike
Old 06/23/2004, 04:12 PM
A. Millepora

I'm in the club now too. I just set up a MRC CR-2. Very nice product.
Old 06/23/2004, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Alright.....I need some opinions. The wife is only so generous with our money, so I'll need to choose between one of the two possible upgrades. Getting both and keeping my hopes up for a happy marriage is just not an option right now (Iwaki was a very generous and welcomed gift!).

What are the opinions between the following:

(1) Second injector
or
(2) Larger riser tube (essentially making it an MR-3).

I'd like to hear from anyone that has done the upgrade and has a baseline to make the comparison. I'd also like to see if the noise level goes down with a second injector compared to driving a single really hard.

I won't be making the upgrade really soon, I just want to get some feedback and opinions.

Vinny
Old 06/23/2004, 06:56 PM
Fish Addict

2nd injector before larger riser--make more bubbles before increasing contact time. JMO.
Old 06/23/2004, 08:03 PM
Reef Addict

moondop i think that depends on the pump IME i had to keep my gate valve allmost all the way open with the Iwaki 70RLT i noticed so many bubbles in my sump that could have been in the skimmer so it made more sence to get a 12 inch riser & close the gate valve more then 1/2 way & it was a big inprovement but then again i had the room for the 12 inch Riser that is JME with the Iwaki 70RLT dont know how it would do with other pumps.
at least i know i can also put a second injector & upgrade my pump as i add more water volume to system.
Old 06/23/2004, 08:13 PM
Fish Addict

Uhm, I think an Iwaki 70 is overkill for a single beckett--betcha you could Tee off the 70 and get even more foam running through 2 becketts. I agree you get a lot of bubbles that way. I ran a double beckett MR3 with a GRI 520--worked well.
Old 06/23/2004, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I bought my MR-3 with 2 injectors and it's driven by an Iwaki 70. It produced so much foam that I bought a 12" mixing chamber extension because it needed more height. As it's set up now, the throughput flow, amount of bubbles, size of bubbles, mixing chamber height, and air adjustment range are in balanced unision on my system. JME

-Terry
Old 06/24/2004, 06:28 AM
Reef Addict

I have alot of fine bubbles in my Skimmer i see no need for a 2nd beckett Yet but i see ur point moondop ( why must u put ideas in my head ) i do think it's a big pump for one beckett but i fill my cup every 2 days & i also feed heavy every other day im looking on adding 150 more gallons of water volume to system so maybee then i will have to get a 2nd injector.

before Riser

new 12 inch Riser

Old 06/24/2004, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Steve68,

I see that you are using 1" flex spa that runs up to the a reducing fitting (3/4" * 1/2")? So, let me get this sequence straight... you've got 1" fitting, 3/4" glued into that, and the 3/4" fitting reduces down to 1/2" (or is there a 1/2" reducing fitting in the 3/4" fitting?)?

Does this setup work very well for you? I can see how it would restrict flow less.

Peace,
John H.
Old 06/24/2004, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

steve68,

Oh yeah, one more quick question... how high are you running the water level in your skimmer? It looks like it's way above the injector... in the last picture with the 12" extension.

Thanks,
John H.
Old 06/24/2004, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Is it normal for the skimming to fluctuate so much? I have an MR-2 that I just hooked up. Last night it was skimming great. Only thick dry foam. This morning I checked it and my sump was 15 gallons low. The skimmer sucked it all out and now the bubbles were only half way up the second riser.

Is the optional waste collector a good option? I think I need it.

Mike

Last edited by mmcaleer; 06/24/2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06/24/2004, 09:01 AM
Reefin Maniac

Yep I think so.
Keeps from the skimmer sucking out all the water and a chance of a flood that could be very very stinky. There is a carbon chamber to help with the odor. The little ping pong ball closes off the air outlet causing the skimmer to shut down but allowing the water to still flow through the skimmer box.

I have spilled the the waste and it has a heck of an odor especially if it is warm and a bit humid in the house. My whole house will smell.