Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Nina's still in the dark. Said it was cold, down to 40 in the house. She's turning on her oven for short periods of time to take the chill out. Her SIL is going to take her to town so she can have a shower and at least get cleaned up. Still sounds like it may be days before her power comes back on.

aweee- that just sucks eggs... what more does she need on her shoulders

Christy

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/10/2007, 12:47 PM
Team RC Member

Good for that, the SIL, I mean. HOpe her pipes hold up. I'm sure she knows to create a trickle flow.
Did she get the horses in?
Has anybody heard from Uh_oh? I hope he's not in a snowbank--worried about him AND Nina.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

he's fine

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/10/2007, 12:49 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Someone please tell her that using the oven for heat is very very dangerous. CO(Carbon Monoxide) can kill if allowed to linger in the house in large quantities.
Old 12/10/2007, 12:57 PM
Moved In

She knows that, she's not leaving it on for very long periods. She told Uh Oh not to come. She has Gary's family close by, so she's not totally alone. George just showed up to gravel her road for her when we hung up. It's just all hitting her hard for obvious reasons. She will get through it. She was planning on going to work tomorrow, to keep her mind busy, but that will have to wait till she gets power.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Isn't that the way that things usually seem to go. Shortly after my mom died, I would drive by to check on the house, and everything seemed to be fine. One night I drove by and thought it was odd that the attic window didn't have frost on it, but didn't get out to go in to take a look. A few days later, my son kept asking about a toy that was at grandma's house. Finally, frustrated that he kept asking about it, I went over there and when I opened the front door, you could see my breath. OMG! The back door had blown open at some point, the furnace had gone out (probably from constantly running), the toilet tank had cracked from being a solid cube of ice, & the bathtub had about 10-12" of ice in it. It was actually warmer outside than it was in the house! I could here a hissing sound in the basement, which I knew was running water, and when I opened the basement door, the other side of the door looked like a old freezer door with a good 1" of frost covering the whole other side, and water streaming on the basement floor because the frost plate had burst off the water meter. I called all the appropriate people and then persisted to stand there and bawl...me and my 6-7 month's of pregnancy!!!!!! Hubby was on his way to Chicago and could do nothing but listen to me sob on the phone!!! The poor men that showed up to fix the watermeter and the furnace, looked more scared that I was going to go into labor. Get everything fixed and get home and my oldest son barf's all over our brand new bed, while I was on the phone with my husband.

Some days, I swear it just seems that we get hit when we're the most vulnerable!

Hang in there Nina! It will get better and we are all sending warm thoughts your way! Wish I could be there to help you out!

Melting!
Old 12/10/2007, 02:53 PM
Take a number

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus70
I'm on the phone with him and he just got off the phone with a very stern and maternal Nina. Warning he better not make the drive or that fall out the window will feel like a ride at Disneyland.
And he's afraid of a little old lady??

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 12/10/2007, 02:56 PM
Ha! I finally hit 500!

Uh-oh, Nina and everyone else affected by this, take care and we wish you well.

Am I the only one whose heart felt a little warmer hearing the Nina had threatened Uh-oh? It makes me feel better every time I hear Nina say something that sounds like her old self!

Mythbusters
Old 12/10/2007, 06:43 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevomac

Am I the only one whose heart felt a little warmer hearing the Nina had threatened Uh-oh? It makes me feel better every time I hear Nina say something that sounds like her old self!

yup, that warmed the cockles of my heart, it's been a little while since we've heard...

Quote:
mizz neeners

"yer gonna die"

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/10/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Well I got to say when UH_OH told me about Nina i kind of knew he would want to run over there. ( He's kind of like that). But I'm glad Nina had the brains he doesn't to tell him not to go.

I'm happy Nina is OK and people are talking to her.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:33 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus70
Well I got to say when UH_OH told me about Nina i kind of knew he would want to run over there. ( He's kind of like that). But I'm glad Nina had the brains he doesn't to tell him not to go.

HEY ! I don't need any brains !! Err.. I mean...She doesn't have my brains...I do ! Or...hey...Shut up Tarkus ! You're not the boss of me ! ! !

And as for Nina.........I will call her shortly........Well actually I will call her Nina but I will call her in a few minutes and find out exactly what the score is on the power coming back up and if it's not up by morning------------> Come Heck or High Ice; I'm headed out there with a generator ! ! !

She's not the boss of me either !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 12/10/2007, 08:36 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH
HEY ! She's not the boss of me either !

ROTFLMAO Yeah say that to her face and I want to see video of it.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aliie
ROTFLMAO Yeah say that to her face and I want to see video of it.

lmao- meee tooo

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/10/2007, 09:23 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

nevermind !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 12/10/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

i'm back. we are still ok. lost power for a while and the phones have been on and off. now it's mostly just raining. we'll see what it looks like in the morning. the wife wants to go to work! stupid girl!

Old 12/10/2007, 09:44 PM
On "The List"

neeners just posted in the "nina" thread, her power is back on!

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/10/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

the loungers to my rescue once again! we got our power back about 45 minutes ago. we were told this morning that it could be 8 to 10 days and that really took the wind outta my sails but i guess the gods of electricity took pity on us out here in the darkest boonies on the planet.

uh_oh paid attention for once...i did NOT want to have to worry about him on the roads, the roads were downright dangerous, accident after accident, hundreds of people off in ditches. it wasn't pretty! i will talk to him soon about the generator. that is something gary and i discussed numerous times but never had the chance to just DO it.

this is worst than the ice storm of '77. everything and i mean EVERYTHING was coated with a half inch of ice. i sat in the dark and listened to trees crashing down around me. debi is right, all of the trees gary and i planted and babied over 10 years are destroyed. some may come back but it'll take years.

the horses were covered in ice, tails frozen solid. they have 2 barns they can get into if they choose. for whatever reason (translation...they aren't the brightest lights on the tree), they chose to stand out in the freezing rain and they were shivering cold when i fed them sunday morning. they are dry now and seem fine but we are supposed to get more freezing rain tonight, tomorrow and wednesday.

i gotta back up a little...before the freezing rain hit, we had a rip snortin' thunder/lightning storm that lit up the sky! it was just weird!!

i have been hunkering down at night with the dogs. i rummaged through gary's dresser and found his good thermal undies so i have been toasty warm while under the covers. it was getting up in the morning and having the house at 40ish degrees that was not pleasant. i had so many blankets on last night, i couldn't turn over in bed.

walking outside is treacherous. thankfully, i have chains and spikes for my shoes and boots and i don't go anywhere without them.

no running water is the pits. i have not eaten anything other than a hamburger bun because i confess, i wasn't prepared for this storm. that canned pedigree, chicken flavor, was startin' to look and smell pretty darn good. i have not turned water on yet. gary's brother was here and said it looks like the water pump might have an ice sliver in it somewhere. it's trying to pump up but the pressure isn't where it needs to be just yet. he has put an electric heater in the pump house, we'll see where we are in the morning. hopefully, it didn't freeze.

i have to tell you...crocheting by flashlight isn't so bad. i had a pretty decent book to read so i crocheted for a while, read for a while. the hours crawled by. i would look at the clock at it would be 5:30, dark everywhere. i would look at the clock what seemed like hours later and it would be 5:45. it was torture. with no t.v. and nothing to occupy my mind, my thoughts never strayed from gary. that was really tough. but, i made it and hopefully mother nature won't dump on us again. the forecast isn't lookin' too good. *sigh*

oops, i just remembered the 5 line rule. oh well.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:08 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by Nina51
the loungers to my rescue once again! but i guess the gods of electricity took pity on us out here in the darkest boonies on the planet.

uh_oh paid attention for once....

i had so many blankets on last night, i couldn't turn over in bed.

that canned pedigree, chicken flavor, was startin' to look and smell pretty darn good.

i have to tell you...crocheting by flashlight isn't so bad.

oops, i just remembered the 5 line rule. oh well.
I only see 5 lines
Old 12/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Cancer Sucks

Great to hear from 'ya Nina!

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Movin On Up

Glad things are ok.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/10/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

yay! nina!

we aren't very grocery prepared either, but i'll share the 20 cans each of navy beans and great northern beans with ya.

Old 12/10/2007, 11:17 PM
Moved In

Yay Nina, glad to see you with power...

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/10/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Yay Nina, glad to see you with power...

Sooo were you able to see her withOUT power??? wooaaahhh you have some super mod powers then

glad to have ya back Nina

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/11/2007, 12:44 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

OKAY Shopping List for Nina:

FOOD !
Push Button Start Generator
Plumbers Heat Tape to keep the pipes from freezing !

Brain donation for dunderklumpin horses !!!

anything else........?

Old 12/11/2007, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH
OKAY Shopping List for Nina:

FOOD !
Push Button Start Generator
Plumbers Heat Tape to keep the pipes from freezing !

Brain donation for dunderklumpin horses !!!

anything else........?

xtra gas for her generator...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?