Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

I love the OceansMotions, big and bulky it's not. Changing the blades out is a 2 sec. process. The thing is the scraper dials in to the tightest corners to scrape any coralline algae or in a 3-way corner or flat on the glass. Was easy to put together and put it to use once I got it, in fact having a 31"deep tank it would have to be the single best "how would I live without item I have" for my tank.

Old 11/04/2007, 12:34 PM

Hey Hahn...I have used every single one listed in this discussion and NONE of the scraper attachments have worked on my coraline. I have DIY'd several as well. Keep in mind that my tank is 35" deep so this is a serious issue for me...

For regular cleaning I use the wooden ones...Tiger Sharks to be exact. They are very strong magnets but I have found that they, and any other magnet, should be removed between uses. The felt pad does wear away quickly and this really POs me. And removing the remnants of the old pad, well, it ain't easy.

The Therme does cook the coraline off very well, but the area it covers is very small, making this a tedious way to spend the day. And EVERY time I have used the Therme scraper, the little lip has caught something and scratched my tank. I would only use this rig to "soften" up the coraline before using another type of scraper to finish it off. Plus, the Therme has a dead-mans switch, so you have to hold it down to energize it, which doesn't work well for in-wall tanks!! I have to jamb a fitting on the switch and rubber band it down. And BTW, I have never gotten the Therme scraper to work like it does in their videos. The cooking part does, but the scraping art...not working for me at all.

Since I think you have some tools laying around , you might try a long piece of acrylic that has been run on a jointer with a fresh blade. This works very well at cleaning off the coraline, but you have to be careful on the upstroke to not catch anything between it and the glass.

I would be very interested in any DIY scraper you build that is effective. I cant tell you how many different ones I have built with little success.
Old 11/04/2007, 12:35 PM

OK, except for that one.
Old 11/04/2007, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Hey jnarowe,
I also have a 36" deep acrylic and 3/4 thickness. The only way I can clean coraline off the bottom of the tank is to leverage the kent scraper with the plastic blade, but my arm is cooked at the end, and it's not completely gone.

In your opinion is the Therme not my only option? If the algae is cooked it should come off easier than scraping away with the 36In long kent scraper.
Very curious on your opinion since you own a therme and have a 36in deep tank...
Old 11/04/2007, 01:19 PM

I actually use a shorter Kent scraper that is fitted with PVC pipe. The pipe is more rigid than the scraper so it seems to work better than the longer scraper.

Cooked algae does come off way easier so you expend less physical effort scraping, but IMO, it does not save any time since it's an added step. I have to lay on a plank on top of my tank to scrape the viewing pane, so believe me, I have tried a lot of methods. One thing I forgot to mention, is that Mighty Magnets does have a scratch removal kit that works well. It's a little spendy, but the grits included are extremely hard to source. They are even finer than what Micro-Mesh has on their site.

Have you tried using acrylic?
Old 11/04/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

I bought their acrylic scratch kit a year ago and still haven't braved enough to use it. I have a few scratches that I 'd like removed but... what a chicken...

If I decide to do it, I was told that I should start with the middle-of-the-road grit and go to the finest.

My question... off topic of course, but why not start with the finest grit and if that isn't sufficient then move up one?

Also what do you mean by:
"Have you tried using acrylic?"
Old 11/04/2007, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

BTW, did I mention that while i'm scraping I have to balance on the top step of a 4 ft ladder...

Old 11/04/2007, 03:09 PM

Starting with the finest will just over sand the glass. You have to be very careful when sanding acrylic to only sand enough to get the job done. Otherwise you can screw up the optics of the pane.

What I meant by using acrylic was using a piece of acrylic that has had the edges run on a jointer. This gives you a very flat scraper surface and it can be a lot wider than the typical scraper. I use a couple of different sized pieces for different areas of the tank walls. Long for the deep parts, and short and wide for the top parts.
Old 11/04/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

SSSWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT Setup!
Old 11/04/2007, 03:16 PM

that doesn't look dangerous...maybe you should be holding onto a 220V wire to keep your balance?

My reef buddies have a hard time containing their laughter when I slide the plank over my tank, get into swim trunks, and crawl across my tank. Then I get into battle with a crazy coral-eating maroon and keep an eye on my overly friendly foxface. All the while getting a major sunburn...