Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 09:32 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Magnetic scrapers

Okay guys... tell me about all the magnetic scrapers out there. I am getting sick of having to reach in the tank with the Kent scraper. I have seen mag-floats... and they are okay, but I would prefer something that has a blade attachment.

I have seen the oceansmotions...
http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/p...64277705739a53

But I remember seeing one that had a wider blade holder as well... really did a number on coralline as well. Just wondering what my options are.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

http://www.algaefree.com/
These magnets are very nice and the scrapers look to be nice.
I have a hammerhead and it works great, no experience with the scraper yet.
Jay
Old 10/04/2007, 10:07 PM
Generic Member

I got one of these and really like it. Works better than I thought it would.
Old 10/05/2007, 12:10 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Ah, the algaefree scrapers are the ones I saw in action... took care of coralline very easily. So I can just order the matching easy-blade to add on to any scraper I want...
http://www.algaefree.com/easy_blade.html
Thanks guys.

Okay, so it gets added on to any existing scraper... well... which would you get... magnavore, mag-float, algae-free, or the Tunze?
Seems MD has them all...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari..._cleaners.html

The tunzes seem to have a reputation of being the strongest... will the 220.540 for $23.98 be enough for my 125g w/ 1/2" glass? It seems like a deal compared to most. The next level up is the 220.550 for $118.68... ouch! But do the tunze's float?

So there is the magnavore 4ER for $79. Cheaper than the tunze... but is it as good? (Hoping some users can add in here). Is it really worth the extra money over the tunze or the Mag-float?

And then the algae-free... $69.95 for the Hammerhead. Honestly, I just dont like the wood on the outside... doesnt quite match my tank. I much prefer something that isnt wood, since there is no wood anywhere else on my tank.

So that leaves the Mag-Float... seems like the 350 model for 22.99 is the right size.

So, which is the one to go with?
Old 10/05/2007, 12:14 AM
Generic Member

I use the big Mag float and it works well. You just glue the blade on. I dont leave it in the tank since the blade is metal. No use buying an expensive mag cleaner for this purpose.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
I got one of these and really like it. Works better than I thought it would.
I have one of these as well attached to a mag-float. I can tell you that when you use it you don't need a super strong magnetic scraper, the razor does all the work. My tank doesn't have front access (in-wall setup) so I needed something to help get coriline off of the glass with out having to reach in from the back side. This thing works great.
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/05/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

btw I have a tunze as well and the thing is a pain in the butt. Don't get me wrong it is super strong and it does work, but it doesn't float. So when it does come off it crashes down on stuff and then I have to go fishing (I think it did come with a string, but that always seemed to get in the way).
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/05/2007, 09:05 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

My magnavore works really well. I have the 4ER on 1/2" glass. Only complaint is that the felt pad on the outside wears away very quickly. Not sure if this is what happens with all magnetic cleaners though. This is my first large one I've owned. I don't think it floats either, but it's so strong, it never separates, so who cares. You can glue a foam strip that comes with it to the inside magnet to make it float if you want.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/05/2007, 01:25 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Okay, well... the floating feature seems like it would be a bonus because the add-on blade will require me to remove it after every use... not just leave it hanging around.

I have a buddy (gopack) who swears by his reef-free (has a great-white and a hammerhead) scrapers. Prior to that he had Mag-Floats (said he had the big one... I assume the 500 model) and he said the Reef-Free is much stronger.

Hmm.... maybe the wooden thing isnt so bad... considering I would have to remove it after every use anyways...

SDguy, does the magnavore float?
Old 10/05/2007, 02:13 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

I talked to magnavore about this. Basically, he said *one* of the manufacturers actually has a patent on floating aquarium magnet algae cleaners So, technically, no they don't. But a. it really takes some work to get it to separate from the outside half in the first place and b. it has *some* air inside of it, so it doesn't sink immediately (like if you dropped a feather through air) giving you ample time to catch it with the outside half again. Plus, if you want, like I said, you can glue a floating piece of spongy rubber that comes with it to the internal half which will make it float. I've personally never needed to though...

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/05/2007, 02:33 PM
AEFW Assasinator

I have the OM one and it's okay. The scraper attachment is big and bulky in my opinion.

The Algae Free one looks promising.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

What about the Mighty Magnets? www.mightymagnets.com I've heard they're very strong.
Old 10/05/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Oh, and the pads they attach to are all apparently velcro backed so you just pull the pad off to wash it or replace.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Hahn,

I think the Algae free ones look sweet and seem to do an awesome job. my LFS has some.

I also have a big mag float i had on my 180 i can sell you this one for cheap since i no longer have a glass tank, LMK
Old 10/05/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Also jon,

CHeck out premium aquatics they are about $10 cheaper on all the algae free scrapers than MD
Old 10/06/2007, 12:38 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Hmmm.... the mighty magnets seems interesting... but the algae-free add on may or may not fit... so I would rather stick with something that I know will match with the add-on.

I like the 'glue some foam on the back' idea. Thats actually what I was thinking about the Tunze. gopack gave me crap when I suggested that. I dont know... I would consider it if I knew the magnet was stronger or better for some reason.

Hmm.... Maybe the Algae Free is the best option. I hear the Mag-Floats are very weak in comparison. And well... if the Tunzes and Magnavores dont float... well... I dont want to bother if I dont have to. Im thinking that it may not be that big of a deal, but just the possibility that I might drop this thing in the tank, I dont want to end up damaging corals and stuff by accident when I dont have to, and with the add on blade, I will most likely be removing/adding it alot. So it looks like the Algae Free is the one for me (despite the uggo wood handle, oh well, I can paint that...lol).

So whaddya guys think? Is the Hammerhead enough, or should I step up to the Tiger Shark? My glass is 1/2". It seems the 'scrubbing action' isnt as critical with the blades... so Im guessing the Hammerhead is okay for me.

I suppose, at tomorrow's reef club meeting, gopack has a couple sizes of the algae-free scrapers, so I can try them out.
Old 10/06/2007, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

Think I'm going the same route with a Pirahna float, i kinda like the wood look My tank is 1/4" Acrylic
Old 10/06/2007, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

I've owned the magnavore as well as the algae free, and I prefer the af. The felt pad on the magnavore wears out far too quickly. However, the magnavore ER series is nice because the inner magnet is larger than the outer magnet, allowing you to clean all the way up to the canopy line, where the others will leave a small strip uncleaned. Even with that though, I prefer the algae free.
Old 10/06/2007, 03:05 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, my tank has eurobracing, so I can get the top no problem, and with the extra blade attachment, Ill have plenty of extra reach.

Thanks for the input though... the algae-free sounds like a real winner.
Old 10/06/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

On my 3/8” thick glass aquarium, I use the Algae Free Piranha. It does not work on coralline algae. For coralline algae, I use the Therme Algae Terminator (http://www.therme-at.com/). You can order from Therme a magnetic scrubber that accommodates a plastic blade although I did not purchase it. There is a review of the Therme in the review section of Reef Central.
Old 10/07/2007, 01:27 AM
El Jefe de WRS

The add-on razor for the hammerhead does work very well...

I got to mess around with this one (as well as a tiger shark) at gopack's place today. It was pretty cool. I got to talk with some people today as well about what they use.

One guy mentioned that he had a tunze as well, and the Algae-Free is much stronger, and that I should not oversize the magnet like with other makers because it will most likely be too much. This was true. When I tried the tiger shark on the 1/2" glass... it was hard to move... too powerful for the glass thickness. And since I will be using the razor anyways for all the hard stuff, the magnet strength doesnt need to be 'overkill' by any means.

When I asked everyone at the meeting what they use... almost everyone said 'algae-free'... well... I suppose I have my solution! And, as it turns out, because the meeting was a joint Madison Area Reefer Society and Wisconsin Reef Society co-meeting, many people there knew the guy who makes them (made right here in Madison Wisconsin). So hey, Ill support the local economy.
Old 10/13/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I just got my Algae free Piranha on friday. I did own the mag float. what a diffrence. This is a great cleaner!
Old 10/14/2007, 02:08 PM
Moved On

I have a 72gal Bowfront, does anybody else have trouble cleaning the curved glass front of a bow tank with a magnet scraper ? I have a mag float and an considering something else....
Old 10/14/2007, 03:52 PM
Limestone cowboy

Save yourself some money and use a dobie pad. Just cut the seam pull out the sponge and replace with the wet end of the magnet.
Old 11/04/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pjf
On my 3/8” thick glass aquarium, I use the Algae Free Piranha. It does not work on coralline algae. For coralline algae, I use the Therme Algae Terminator (http://www.therme-at.com/). You can order from Therme a magnetic scrubber that accommodates a plastic blade although I did not purchase it. There is a review of the Therme in the review section of Reef Central.
Do you know if the Therme would work with the "F4" mighty magnet set up. This magnet set is strong enough for my 3/4 acrylic and was wondering if I can "adapt" the therme to it, instead of having to buy the whole set up, with their magnets and scrapers...

I read up the review on RC and looks like the therme would work well on the coraline...