Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

i dont see the froth in the ain chamber as the 250 does. i barly get the spill over. mind you i get a darker skimmate. i just wish the thing pulled more out. i dont have an airmeter to test the airflow with. maybe i can try and get my hands on one....
Old 07/17/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Well,
I did some further mods on the QO 3000 and I have surpased my goals. It is not hooked up to a skimmer yet but I am getting between 50-55 scfh at 27 watts in about 9 inches of water and is quite. It will start up on its own after a few miss fires to. Will post pics of the "Quite Master" when the mod is done.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Sorry I am an idiot at typing, quite=quiet
Old 07/17/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Dude, Do you have pics of the mod and the air readings?
Mike
Quote:
Originally posted by dudedudedude
Well,
I did some further mods on the QO 3000 and I have surpased my goals. It is not hooked up to a skimmer yet but I am getting between 50-55 scfh at 27 watts in about 9 inches of water and is quite. It will start up on its own after a few miss fires to. Will post pics of the "Quite Master" when the mod is done.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:15 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Well,
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT.

Sorry.

I was saying a year back that the QO 3000 would be a great skimmer pump, and people were telling me they'd tried it and been unable to get good results.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

I will post pics tonight.

Rich: you were the one that gave me the idea about 6 months ago. I got the sicce multi 2500 and realised it was the same thing as the QO 3000 and could be made to perfrom like the PSK-2500. In its current state it takes a few clicks to start, though, however I think with further modification of the venturi I will get it to start instantaneously
Old 07/17/2007, 11:09 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

awesome thread, i cant wait to see your "quiet master" dude
Old 07/17/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

In its current state it takes a few clicks to start, though, however I think with further modification of the venturi I will get it to start instantaneously
Does it start when you blow air into the line? This is a common problem with the meshmod. Wish someone could figure it out...
Old 07/17/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I have not tried that as I keep the airline attached to my Dwyer. If it doesnt start up given the configuration I am using I just over the water intake and it starts then, but this new mod seems to evnetually start on its own in a few seconds. Given that I dont need 50 scfh, I think I will get it to instantaneously start up by redusing the intake diamter a tad, bringing the ariflow and watts down a bit.
Old 07/17/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

over the water intake= cover
Old 07/17/2007, 02:18 PM
DIY Junkie

YES...I think now even more that I could get a QO 5000 to 100SCFH...I really need to scrounge some cash and buy one to play with. Dang babies taking all of my money LOL
Old 07/17/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think I will get it to instantaneously start up by redusing the intake diamter a tad, bringing the ariflow and watts down a bit.
Your talking the water intake not air intake right?

less diameter = less initial water resistance on the meshwheel at startup?
Old 07/17/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Correct, I was reffering to water intake.
Old 07/17/2007, 05:20 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Well,
Please post a linky here. Well... thats it then... the PSK 2500s are dead it seems. BTW, what is the diameter and depth of the QO 3000's volute (same as the PSK or smaller)? How is it noise-wise? It seems that the 1" outlet really helps out alot though. Good deal.
Old 07/17/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Correct, I was reffering to water intake.
reduce the water intake = reduce the SCFH (air , lpm) , try to reduce it to a point that the pump will start up alone but not loose the air .

LA-Lawman :

you can mod your pump to get more... but the skimmer will flood you will need to extend the neck . i was able to extend more 8" without problem and i could more because the skimmer was at 7" depth in 9' dept i need more big neck and i don't have place for that here it's the picture :

Last edited by mavgi; 07/17/2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07/17/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

so are the volutes for the psk and the QO3000 the same? anyone compare these pumps directly?
Old 07/17/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Sicce rate = 500gph
quite one rate = 780gph

dudedudedude test the pump and got 50-55 about 25LPM at 9" depth but not connect to skimmer , when the pump will connect to skimmer the # will fall down and the watt will increase (it's not correct # yet) it's also depend on what size of skimmer and how the pump will connect to it , it's can make big different . more then that the pump pull more water then the Sicce and i am not sure and i hope dudedudedude will test it on skimmer and verify that but on small skimmer there it's option that it will flood and the option to play with the water level will be hard. the Sicce for sure more stronger and can pull more air with lower GPH. need to test the pump on skimmer and to get the real result like that it's will be more correct and we can know how the pump real perform.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:30 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Actually, I dont think its much stronger... its still 40 watts. It just has a larger outlet at 1"
Old 07/17/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Actually, I dont think its much stronger... its still 40 watts. It just has a larger outlet at 1"
what not much stronger ?
Old 07/18/2007, 01:14 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Well, its 40 watts... thats the power and its strength therefore, unless the QO pumps are just made to be less efficient, but I sort of doubt that considering their higher output. That is what allows it to move more water. Chances are that it gets this only by having the larger outlet... meaning it is a higher flow, lower pressure pump (once again, depending in the volute dimensions, if those can be confirmed). Otherwise, its pretty much the same pump it seems... the output is just larger in diameter to get the more flow. I bet they are same power... just the QO 3000 is more efficient.
Old 07/18/2007, 08:17 AM
One Good Friend

I saw a thread on the equipment forum that pointed out these are the same pumps on the tunze recirc's...........
Old 07/18/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

the fact the QO can pull 25LPM in 27 watt it's great and the cost of the pump also great and i think it's better then the gen x4100 but no better then the Sicce , i think when the pump will connect to a skimmer the result will be near to 18LPM and if i connect it on the BM250 it will be even less then that with the sicce when 2 pump connect to my skimmer i pull 25LPM on each one without problem and it's big different also this less then 30 watt .

the foam that this pump will build with this # and flow rate will never be the same as the Sicce and when i test the GEN x6100 with moded shroud i was able to pick more then 25LPM but the foam was never the same as the Sicce , when i reduce the outlet the pump increase the watt but reduce the air to .

with the sicce i pull more then 25 LPM when the pump not connect to the skimmer body, i was able to get 35LPM at 7" depth but it was hard .

the new one will pull with the controller 82 SCFH 40 watt use and better venturi , i believe when they will mod better....(with the alloy mesh the pump pull 92SCFH ) they will come easy to 90 (with the regular PF4) and even close to 100SCFH with no more then 50watt (but it's need to be tested to confirm that).

i believe if on the QO the shroud will be moded the pump will increase more 5LPM and this can make big different when the pump will connect to the skimmer body , again to confirm that 100% it's need to be tested .

i want to see when dudedudedude will connect to a skimmer what the # will be, how the pump build the foam & the skimmer size this will let us to know more correct how the pump perform .
Old 07/18/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
still waiting
Old 07/18/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mavgi

the new one will pull with the controller 82 SCFH 40 watt use and better venturi , i believe when they will mod better....(with the alloy mesh the pump pull 92SCFH ) they will come easy to 90 (with the regular PF4) and even close to 100SCFH with no more then 50watt (but it's need to be tested to confirm that).
I assume the controller is external to the pump? any chance it will be sold separately?

i believe if on the QO the shroud will be moded the pump will increase more 5LPM and this can make big different when the pump will connect to the skimmer body , again to confirm that 100% it's need to be tested.
[/QUOTE]

so the shroud is bigger on the psk2500?
Old 07/18/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to let you guys know of one draw back to QO 3000. Had this pump as a regular return pump and it always had start up problems. Start up problem progressively got worse with usage. If you're turning your skimmer on and off this might not be the pump for you. I hope others have better luck with this pump then me.