Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2006, 01:01 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Do uniseals Leak?

I'm wanting to mod a skimmer that is not in the sump will the uniseals Leak?

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 12/16/2006, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

no... not if you install them correctly.
Old 12/16/2006, 11:13 AM
Weed Reefer

Agreed. I've used a lot of them and never had one leak....
Old 12/16/2006, 11:16 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Can they take the pressure of a small pump?

I want to mod a very small skimmer with a power head the size of a Maxi-jet. Do you think that will cause the uniseal to leak.

Old 12/16/2006, 11:18 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Kent you don't happen to have 2 extra 1/2" uniseals

Old 12/16/2006, 11:21 AM
Weed Reefer

Actually I don't- I just had to search the other day to find two for the phosphate reactor I'm putting together and I only found the two I needed....sorry!
Old 12/16/2006, 11:28 AM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

I want pics of your Reactor as you go!

Old 12/16/2006, 11:35 AM
Weed Reefer

Will do. I'm going to try to knock it out this week cuz I'm sick of looking at the brown fluval sitting on the floor :-)
Old 12/20/2006, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

How do you install a uniseal, and where do you buy them from?
Old 12/21/2006, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

drill hole as per instructions and pop the puppy into place... slide in pipe. Available at aquatic ecosystems

Bean
Old 12/21/2006, 12:21 AM
no time for spell check!

i use uniseals all the time and if the hole is cut clean and round they work awesome! i dont recomend using a hole saw. they cut too rough of a hole. i use a templet and a router table with double face tape to cut holes in tubes. zip zip and its done.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

I use a holesaw and debur the edges... to lazy to setup the router most of the time
Old 12/21/2006, 12:29 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah... I agree with you Bean... I cant imagine routing out 1.75" holes in a 12" cast acrylic pipe. Id rather use the hole saw, then a sanding drum to make it smooth... then flame-polish it if anything.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:38 AM
no time for spell check!

i will have to take some pics of how i do it. its faster than a hole saw and alot better hole. thre perfect every time. its a 1 min job to cut any uni seal hole i want.

han i would worry about the hole crazing from the pressure in the tube if you flame polish it. the high heat on the edge of the acrylic will cause crazing and weaken the acrylic. that is why they dont recomend flame polishing acrylic tank edges. over time the acrlyic will craze. just an fyi.
Old 12/21/2006, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

yeah spazz I agree if your setup to do it, then it will be faster. I just don't do enough holes to warrant getting "set up" to do it.

One day... one day I will spend a whole day building usefull jigs and fixtures for the router, shaper, tablesaw and drill press.... one day. I am building a beefy CNC router after the first of the year. I dunno why and I dunno what I am going to do with it... but I am building one.

Bean
Old 12/21/2006, 01:25 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Thats a dream of mine too... replace the table saw and router and most of the drill-press work with a CNC. I like that CNC thread... but I just cant justify spending $5000 on a good CNC unless It was work related or something. I mean... there is going to be a point where you get where you just dont need to build anymore stuff. After I get this 12" diameter 6' tall skimmer project out of the way... I just dont know what else there is to bother with unless I went into building stuff for others.

You get a good reactor, good kalk stirrer, good skimmer, good fluidized filters, a refugium, custom overflows/plumbing, a wave valve like weatherson... and what else is there to make?!?! Even if I went and bought most of those things from Deltec or something... it still wouldnt cost as much as a CNC.

So if you have some way of convincing me (and the woman), that a CNC is really worth it for personal use, let me know... Id love to do it... but I just cant explain 'why' very well. The spectroradiometer was hard enough.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

bah spend $1500 and build one! I am going with 800oz (or so) steppers and may order the kit mentioned in that thread... and use it to build a more rigid aluminum version some day. I will use a full size router as well.

If you just want to "play" you could build something (with steppers and controller) for $700 or so easily. No worries about a flat deck... just ensure your gantry is true and then use it to mill a sacraficial wood deck to trueness.

Bean
Old 12/21/2006, 01:57 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I suppose... I really dont need anything large... a 2'x2' table would be all I need for 90% of the pieces I would ever consider making.

I dont know about DIYing one though... Im kinda paranoid when it comes to making my own tools that spin at 30,000rpm. Im confident, but I think Id rather buy a ready-made unit, at least for now. All that programming and time spent setting it up... it would cost me more than $5000 in the end I bet.... and it would still only be a $1500 machine.
Old 12/21/2006, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

loser... loser... loser...

I can not believe you actually said what you just did! What kind of self respecting DIYer ever concedes defeat by admitting a DIY project is going to go over budget by 5x or more AND Not quite work out as planned. A real man would spend the cash, build the thing, wear an umpires vest and helmet.. and fire it up. If it sucks.... start over and tell the wife "Hey it is my hobby... geeze.. A guys asks for very little... and here he is in the midst of defeat and you can't see your way to help him through this hard time"

Back to jedi school man... back to jedi school. Have you even learned to hide the UPS boxes from eBay yet?
Old 12/21/2006, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Uniseals can leak. A AGA tank leaks, everything holding water will eventually leak. Mine leak. 2 of 4 leaked. Same hole saw, in fact it was the second and fourth that leak.

I had to use marine sealant to stop if from leaking. The leak was a drip every minute or so. Might have been how I drilled the hole, pressure on the hole saw, who knows.

I will say this, they are great, easier than threading a hole, and can be sealed if they leak. After the seal job, no leaks for a couple of weeks now.

rich
Old 12/21/2006, 02:30 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, I know. But Im starting to look at the reasons why I started DIYing... to make better for less $$$, and now, years later, I look back at all that time I spent, and how many projects were done just for the 'heck of it' that I never even needed. I never needed the swirler-stein, the maxi-jet mod, the aquaclear meshwheel, the AC802 stream, the 36"x6"x12" eco-style refugium, the extra T5 ballasts and bulbs, the nano-cube skimmer, etc. I kind of do want to check out of the DIY 'obsession', maybe just take a break for a bit. I have ballasts, pumps, and bulbs laying around that I will never even use. All of that junk and time I spent is starting to make me feel like a loser just as much as 'conceding defeat'. Its not so much a defeat as taking a 'mental evaluation of priorities'...lol.

I swore to myself when I was younger that I wouldnt end up like the pack-rats that my grandparents were, or my mother has turned into these past few years for that matter. The Grandpa died a few years ago and all their junk migrated to my mother's basement 'temporarily', and I swear if that stuff is still there when it comes my time to do the same, Im just making sure the insurance is paid up and going at the whole place with a can of gas and matches. Now I look around at all of this stockpile I have and realize that in another 10 years... its all going to be junk and Im headed for the same fate as my relatives. Tools just for the sake of making other tools. Projects just for the sake of projects. At the very least, I need to start limiting myself rather than running downstairs and firing up the saw every time I get a new idea. I have over 20 skimmers in the basement still... all complete, that I will most likely never use. Its beginning to feel like work more than fun... 'I need to get this done', or 'I cant put that away yet because I havent finished that project'...lol. I could have been drinking beers all that time!!!

Oh, and the woman doesnt mind... which actually makes matters worse. Okay, she minds me spending $1200 on a radiometer, but so much of this stuff blends in with my engineering crap that she doesnt say anything anyways. The UPS boxes just get tossed... the local dumpster divers get to recycle it.

Of course, next month I start making my new system which is 100% DIY, right down to putting the starphire tank together myself (anyone have a spare short-wave UV lamp I can borrow?). Oh, wait... no, Im having the stand welded for me though. Aaaargh... so I cant stop even if I wanted to.
Old 12/21/2006, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Umm get a grip...

No diy project ever saves money...
We all end up the packrats that our grandparents were...

I have shelfs full of eBay crap for projects that never will get finsihed. Lemme see a big Ghast vacuum pump for the joewoodworker.com vacuum press project. About $600 worth of transistors and misc parts for my monster 2kW AV amps I will never get around to build... 100+ pounds of extruded aluminum heatsink for said monster Home Theater amps... A few (well okay few dozen) smaller amps chips and torriods.... My whole automation project and it's boxes full of NEMA stuff and DIN rail stuff that I may never get around to finishing. A few dozen high end tweeters and some kick *** mids and subs for my audiophile grade HT speakers that I never get around to working on. A few assorted gear motors for the tank sunrise/sunset light mover... A 3hp induction motor for my DIYish jointer. And dozens of other things that I hide, shuffle and play the shell game with.

When my grandfather died, we were left with TWO Houses FULL of stuff.... we made enough at the auction to fly to the moon on the next x prize flight....

MY radiometer (Ok it it was a cold war era geiger counter) cost me $18 bucks at a flea market and it works!

Buck up... go buy that welder and the auto darkening hood painted up like bobafet... Tell the wife you will "be in the shop for a while" and enjoy a few beers while you contemplate how nice it is to be skilled enough to WANT to build stuff you never get around to finishing.

The only losers are the ones who let themselves feel like losers. The rest of us drink a few beers and rationalize the rest of it.
Old 12/21/2006, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

It was likely the rough edges on the hole GROSSR.... be a bit more exact next time and you will be OK
Old 12/21/2006, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Yeah, I know. But Im starting to look at the reasons why I started DIYing... to make better for less $$$, and now, years later, I look back at all that time I spent, and how many projects were done just for the 'heck of it' that I never even needed. I never needed the swirler-stein, the maxi-jet mod, the aquaclear meshwheel, the AC802 stream, the 36"x6"x12" eco-style refugium, the extra T5 ballasts and bulbs, the nano-cube skimmer, etc. I kind of do want to check out of the DIY 'obsession', maybe just take a break for a bit. I have ballasts, pumps, and bulbs laying around that I will never even use. All of that junk and time I spent is starting to make me feel like a loser just as much as 'conceding defeat'. Its not so much a defeat as taking a 'mental evaluation of priorities'...lol.

I swore to myself when I was younger that I wouldnt end up like the pack-rats that my grandparents were, or my mother has turned into these past few years for that matter. The Grandpa died a few years ago and all their junk migrated to my mother's basement 'temporarily', and I swear if that stuff is still there when it comes my time to do the same, Im just making sure the insurance is paid up and going at the whole place with a can of gas and matches. Now I look around at all of this stockpile I have and realize that in another 10 years... its all going to be junk and Im headed for the same fate as my relatives. Tools just for the sake of making other tools. Projects just for the sake of projects. At the very least, I need to start limiting myself rather than running downstairs and firing up the saw every time I get a new idea. I have over 20 skimmers in the basement still... all complete, that I will most likely never use. Its beginning to feel like work more than fun... 'I need to get this done', or 'I cant put that away yet because I havent finished that project'...lol. I could have been drinking beers all that time!!!

Oh, and the woman doesnt mind... which actually makes matters worse. Okay, she minds me spending $1200 on a radiometer, but so much of this stuff blends in with my engineering crap that she doesnt say anything anyways. The UPS boxes just get tossed... the local dumpster divers get to recycle it.

Of course, next month I start making my new system which is 100% DIY, right down to putting the starphire tank together myself (anyone have a spare short-wave UV lamp I can borrow?). Oh, wait... no, Im having the stand welded for me though. Aaaargh... so I cant stop even if I wanted to.
I've read several posts about people having their tanks crash and other misfortunes but this is the saddest post I've read to date. I know how you feel. Sometimes when I look at my little 40 gallon tank and think about how many thousands (wish I was exaggerating) of dollars I spent on it, sometimes I wish I had just traveled instead. But it's ok. You've learned a hell of a lot from doing all those things yourself and those skills will always be with you.

Just take a short break from it and actually take the time to watch you fish. Sometimes I even forget they're in there.
FB
Old 12/21/2006, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

And he has had plenty of opportunities to fight with me... and now look he is crying on my shoulder...

what a wus... something must have happened to him!

Maybe a new years resolution to do a little DIY and pick a fight with ol bean here and there is in order?