Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2006, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

Please help....MH DIY?

I was told it's possible to make my own MH's. Can anyone please tell me what specific part's are used, or where the post is? I can't find it. My lighting is to low and I'm about to get a 125 in a couple of month's. There will be a canapy on the 125. I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

This is the message I got about it...
"It's a Home Depot Metal Halide lighting fixture that the guys talk about on Reef Central... They are like $35-40, then they just swap bulbs to something that is very usuable.

If you can find the info about these, this may well be your best solution, as it would provide you with the best of the best in terms of lighting, at a bargin basement price. It could also be used on a new system, so it's not something that would go to waste.

I think it's like a porch light fixture or something, and I do know that it uses a DE (Double Ended) bulb, and is generally replaced with something in the 14-16k range.
Old 11/20/2006, 08:52 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

From my experiance in this hobby so far, MH is the antonym of "Bargain Basement Price"....

... I used a 300W Halogen fixture from Wal-Mart and just replaced the bulb clip and put a 150W DE Halide in it...

Even with the DIY on the fixture, I was still a good ways away from "cheap"
Old 11/20/2006, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I think he meant cheaper as compared to buying a new one. I don't think there's anything cheap about this hobby LOL I like doing the DIY stuff too so thought I'd check out the option's before jumping in and buying one first. Thank you for your response.
Old 11/20/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Bare core and coil ballasts can be purchased at any good electrical supply such as graybar, and the sockets and bulbs from anywhere that has 'em. Figure 150 bucks total investment for a 250 watt halide on the cheap including the bulb in most cases.

just don't expect it to be near as nice as a pendant, or a custom hood with enclosed ballast.

If you're gonna screw it into your canopy and no one can see it, then it does the same thing so go for it.
Old 11/21/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

www.mojosfeef.com

There is a $100 diy mh on this site.
Old 11/24/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Wow I expected it to cost more than that. Thank you all very much! This will be a neat project for me.