Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2006, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Baby Bangaii Cardinals Saved - What Now??? Help

My pair of Bangaiis just had third load of babies. He deposited in urchin. I removed urchin, then transferred babies (9 of them!) to a breeder last night & fed DT's.
What do I feed them?? I'm thinking Cyclopeeze? What do I need to know?
Any help would be appreciated ASAP.
S.
Old 11/15/2006, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Congratulations. I think they can eat BBS right off the bat. Of course you don't have BBS.
Old 11/15/2006, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanks FishGuttz,
I have frozen brines enriched w/spirulina, but not live baby brines. I have frozen mysis, nori, Cyclopeeze, flake, etc...
Will any of that work? Or what do I need to go out & find?
Old 11/15/2006, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

You should PM papagimp, he had baby bangaii cardinal right now that are doing great!
Old 11/15/2006, 12:09 PM
Moved On

contact your LFS or local club and see if anyone has newly hatched brine shrimp or brine shrimp cysts. Get or borrow a hatcher, or make one, and hatch some daily.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Don´t forget about enriching the BBS as early as you can ! Selcon or whatever.
Anderson.
Old 11/15/2006, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

I have plenty of selcon. Tried to feed cyclopeeze earlier. I think they ate. I know one did. Do BBS have to be live?
Old 11/15/2006, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Congrats Pop!
Old 11/15/2006, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

If you havent already, get some bbs on the go. All you need is decapsulated bbs eggs, jam jar, tank water, light & heat. You will need to feed them several times a day, if not more or as you are aware, they will die.
Old 11/15/2006, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Is there anything I can feed them besides BBS?????????????I would think it would be too late to start a rearing & hatching process for BBS? Don't think my lfs has BBS cysts.
Will Cyclopeeze or DT's work????
Someone?????
Old 11/15/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Cardinals are the easiest to raise because they take live BBS right from the start. I don't think anyone has raised them using another method. You might be the first.
You could get BBS in 8 hours if you turn the heat up high enough!! Don't worry you'll most likely get another chance.
Old 11/15/2006, 05:39 PM
Moved On

DT's is phytoplankton, tiny microscopic algae. The Bangaii's won't feed on it...so don't keep wasting it on the Baby Bangaii's.

Matt
Old 11/15/2006, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

I think they're eating the Cyclopeeze. Not 100% sure. Tomorrow I'll see if the LFS has some Baby Brine cysts. I don't know where else I could get them.
Will they eat frozen brines if the pieces are small enough? When do you wean them onto frozen? Will they just automatically eat it when they get bigger?
Old 11/16/2006, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

You may get lucky and they may take the eggs. Remember to pour the eggs in tank water & then syringe in, dont add directly from the bottle. I doute they will take frozen just yet, I normally get them on frozen after a couple of weeks.
Old 11/16/2006, 11:07 AM
Moved On

NO WAY - do NOT feed regular brine shrimp cysts to the bangaii babies...the hard shell will ensure that they don't get digested, and to make things worse they can't be enriched AND they could stop-up your babies and kill them.

I'd be very hesitant to do this even with Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs.

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

They might eat frozen Brine Shrimp, but they will not help them to grow as they have no nutrition to them. that is why you have to enrich the BBS.
Tom
Old 11/16/2006, 12:38 PM
Moved On

You may find frozen baby brine shrimp...it would probably "work" although a selcon soak would still be helpful...not as helpful as enriching living BBS (although they have to be first instar nauplii to ingest selcon or any other enrichment material).

The enrichment thing helps prevent shock in Bangaii larvae...not that I have personal experience with them but it's pretty well documented.

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

O.K. Here's the latest:
Going to my LFS. They have frozen BBS. They also have frozen Rotifers. Didn't know you could get FROZEN rotifers.
Which one would be best? If I don't hear from anyone before I go, I'll get both & enrich w/selcon.
They also have BBS cysts, but he said it would take 36 hrs. to hatch. Don't know how long I have.
I saved babies into breeder from urchin Tuesday nt. This is noon Thurs., but they seem to be doing well. Maybe they're eating the cyclopeeze.
Old 11/16/2006, 01:19 PM
Moved On

I could see them eating Cyclopeze..but I'd want to verify that for sure. If kept warm, as stated above, Brine Shrimp cysts can be hatched much more quickly than 36 hours...it's heavily temperature related.

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

mwp - I disagree about the eggs, I have successfully feed & raised many, many babies with a combination of hatched & unhatched decapsulated bbs eggs. Regarding cyclopeze, I have known this causing multiple deaths, so would give on the air of caution.
Old 11/16/2006, 05:10 PM
Moved On

What TYPE of babies are you feeding brine shrimp eggs to? Everyone and their mother knows brine shrimp egg shells can kill fish, and unhatched non-decapped aren't digetible.

Of course, decapped eggs (if you trust them, which I wouldn't) could be fed, but how are you going to "enrich" an unhatched egg with the appropriate HUFA's to prevent Sudden Death Syndrome that's common in Baby Bangaiis?

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

The babies are cardinals (subject of this thread) & i never once mentioned feeding them shelled eggs, as you have clearly stated the shells are harmful to fish. Ok, its not an ideal diet, but when needs must a mixture of hatched/unhatched bbs will provide enough nutriants to ensure they survive. Additionally, I have never enriched the bbs as I feel that the newly hatch shrimp & egg sacks are enough.
Old 11/16/2006, 05:55 PM
Moved On

All I can say is that it's rather well documented in both clownfish and Bangaii cardinalfish that without enrichment, shock-related deaths do occur, and that enrichment helps reduce or eliminate this problem.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 05:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dark_stranger
You may get lucky and they may take the eggs. Remember to pour the eggs in tank water & then syringe in, dont add directly from the bottle. I doute they will take frozen just yet, I normally get them on frozen after a couple of weeks.
Could be taken as a suggestion to feed unhatched eggs. For someone who's not familiar with the difference between Decapped and regular cysts, could be very misunderstood, as most shops don't carry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

FWIW,

Matt
Old 11/16/2006, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Matt, talking about enrinchment, I´ve read about enriching BBS. Is this the non-feeding stage ? If so, not very different from decaped eggs... Just writting before searching, but will do it now.
Anderson.