Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation I just accidently picked up some chlorine

Ok,I was just outside around my pool filter walking around,and I noticed these white blocks.I decided to puick them up,and I notcied that they smelled like the pool water,which is probably chlorine scented,lol.

Well I remembered from science class last year to wash your hands after you pick up chlorine,so I came in and washed my hands with warm water and soap.But now my the palms of my hands are all red and sting a little,is that bad???What should I do???My parents wont be home for like another hour,and its harder to type now because it stings.please help.

If you only have one hand will second hand smoking affect you?
Old 11/11/2006, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

for some reason, i cannot find much info. the only thing i keep seeing is frostbite looking damage to skin. if anything, call your local poison control center.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:47 PM
Team RC Member

Do you have any Amquel in the house? That fishtank preparation will neutralize it. Flooding your hands with lots and lots of water will help. Needless to say, don't rub your eyes and don't reach into your fishtank.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:50 PM
Team RC Member

PS, those chlorine tabs are used for pools, generally, if I understand you correctly about what you picked up. They will not do lasting harm unless you touch your eyes or the like. If you don't have Amquel or Safe, just turn on the cold water and stand rinsing your hands [soap is useless here] in water for the next while, between checking RC to see if anyone has a better idea.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

It will sting for a little while, sounds like you received a mild chemical burn from the tablets. Water will help to some extent but the actual chlorine is long gone. Kind of like burning yourself on a hot stove, remove the stove and it still hurts. When your parents get home see if they have any Preparation H or similar cream. It is a topical and will help with the pain.
Old 11/11/2006, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

also, maybe keep your hands moist, don't let them dry out, unless the effects have worn off.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 11/11/2006, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Ok,they dont sting anymore,but there still a little red,I should probably get them wetter though,becasue there pretty dry right now,they dry out in like 2 minutes after washing thm with water,and I havent put my hands near my face,or in my tank,so I think they will be fine.Im going to go wet them.

Old 11/11/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

hope everything gets better for ya there we had this same thing here me and my room mate were in the hot tub i usally keep a tablet in there and didn't know it was on the seat for a day so i moved it and she sat right where it was until it started burning there was a real nice perfect bright red bumpy circle right on her butt. i was very amused but she didn't think it was too funny. but went away in like 6-7 hours
Old 11/11/2006, 03:56 PM
Team RC Member

If your mum has any aloe-based hand cream or Keri Lotion, that might help, at this point.

Old 11/11/2006, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Having been a poolboy in the past I used to handle those all the time. The kicker is that they are really low in PH something like a 2. Some guys did have some reactions so they ended up wearing dishwashing gloves with them. I never had any problems with burns but I could smell the chlorine for days on my hands.
Old 11/11/2006, 09:19 PM
Moved On

ummmmm, not to be rude, but maybe tell mom and dad to check the yard more often, not sure why chlorine tabs should be just " laying around"...............i know i hold my breath when i get them out of container to put in pool...........never had a reaction tho
Old 11/11/2006, 11:30 PM
no pig 2 big

Pee on your hands!
Old 11/12/2006, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoggn
Pee on your hands!

Ha ha that would be a good reply to just about any question.
Old 11/12/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Oh,well we have people that come and clean our pool,and they came that day,I guess they left the chlorine tablets there for me to pick up,lol. Ill try not to pick them up again,but if i do,ill rememebr to pee on my hands,lol.

Old 11/12/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

I used to get "chlorine rash" from swimming. The best antidote I ever found was rinsing with a milk bath followed by a product called "bag balm" that is used for cows with chapped boobies. The milk eased the burning and the bag balm helped reduce the redness, burning, and dryness.

Chlorine can and will really dry out the area affected. Use a good moisturizer. And the milk works wonders to neutralize the burning sensation. Soak your hands in a bowl of milk, rinse with cool water (no soap), then apply the balm. You can find it at your local Walgreens or related pharmacy. It is sold where they sell lotions and cocoa butter.
Old 11/12/2006, 09:43 PM
Moved On

lol, we called a kid in high school bag balm , man i havent heard that one in a long time....................sometimes we called him that , other times milk toast ...........................and watch out for the new blockbuster balms, they go off if you hit them juuust right........................huh huh haha haha haaaaaaaaaa..............see if anyone can get where thats from
Old 11/12/2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roons
lol, we called a kid in high school bag balm , man i havent heard that one in a long time....................sometimes we called him that , other times milk toast ...........................and watch out for the new blockbuster balms, they go off if you hit them juuust right........................huh huh haha haha haaaaaaaaaa..............see if anyone can get where thats from
thats pretty funny
high school kids can be soo cruel sometimes
ib
Old 11/12/2006, 09:52 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by MyCatsDrool
I used to get "chlorine rash" from swimming. The best antidote I ever found was rinsing with a milk bath followed by a product called "bag balm" that is used for cows with chapped boobies. The milk eased the burning and the bag balm helped reduce the redness, burning, and dryness.

Chlorine can and will really dry out the area affected. Use a good moisturizer. And the milk works wonders to neutralize the burning sensation. Soak your hands in a bowl of milk, rinse with cool water (no soap), then apply the balm. You can find it at your local Walgreens or related pharmacy. It is sold where they sell lotions and cocoa butter.
If you can't find bag balm in the pharmacy take a stroll back into the pets section. Bag balm is one of those things that has a 101 different uses, also use it on doggy feet.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71