Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy URGENT: advice needed

Hi,

I filled my 90gallon tank up yesterday evening and left it overnight. When I woke up this morning I found this chip in the side of the front pane of glass :

It is on the outside of the glass, and the chipped bit is very loose and would fall off if I flicked it gently.

Is this going to compromise the structural integrity of my tank? Do I need to empty it? I don't want to end up with 90gallons of water on the floor! Or can I just leave it alone and everything will be alright?

Please advise me as to what to do.

Thanks,

Flobajob.
Old 11/01/2006, 07:22 AM
Moved On

I have a bigger chip in a 90 gal thats been filled with water for 7 years. I wouldnt sweat it too much as the silicone is doing its job.

Its nerve racking to look at but its really not hurting the structural integrity of the tank. When a tank manufacturer builds a tank there is a safety factor figured into the design. That is working for you also.
Keep an eye on it for any signs of leakage but you should be fine.
Old 11/01/2006, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. It certainly is nervewracking to look at, and it doesn't help that I also have to worry about the floor holding the thing's weight (I was so sure that it would before I started filling the tank... but now I am a bit worried it won't). I think I am going to let the tank sit for a few hours before I do anything else.
Old 11/01/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

I also have had a chip out of the corner of one of my tanks for 10 years without a problem.
It should be OK.
Old 11/01/2006, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

imo, "should" is not worth it. was the chip there before you filled or did filling it cause the chip? check your warranty and get a new one.

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 11/01/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

i have a 30g with a bigger chip that has been filled for a couple years...
Old 11/01/2006, 05:07 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

ive seen a 135 with a big chip in the bottom corner, so it had the full pressure of the water puching down on it, was fine for 2 years before the tank got changed for a bigger one

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."