Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2006, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Black and white maxima clam

I just got this gorgeous clam from Rommel. Isn't she gorgeous?

James
Old 10/31/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

wow, very nice. we never see anything like that up here in canada
Old 10/31/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

man...those things are so rare...ur probably the 2nd person i've seen on reef central with one
Old 10/31/2006, 07:12 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Nice one, Naka! I was eyeing that one when I was at his place, Saturday.
Old 10/31/2006, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

looks to have pm just like alot of the other clams that are in that tank,it will be ok as long as you treat it. sweet clam good luck.
Old 10/31/2006, 10:11 PM
Boomer gave me this

pm, are you on crack?
Old 10/31/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

No sure that it's got pm, but a closer pic would help. There is a tiny section that's showing the shell, could be just the clam reacting to something else. I wouldn't say capefear is on crack, its observation is a good one.

So, can we get a closer pic? Please!

by the way awful looking clam. If you don't want it, I'll be happy to take it out of your hands. After all, since when did black and white became colorful? (Just kidding of course)

Omar
Old 11/01/2006, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

just look at all the other clams in the tank they are in bad shape, your clam came out of that same tank.
Old 11/01/2006, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

thanks everyone. I'll take another closeup picture later today.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
Nice one, Naka! I was eyeing that one when I was at his place, Saturday.
Thanks Karl!

James
Old 11/01/2006, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capefear
just look at all the other clams in the tank they are in bad shape, your clam came out of that same tank.
Come on. The clams in Rommel's tank are not in bad shape. They are very healthy! Judging the health of clams by just one picture isn't right. Just a little bit of perturbation (flow, light change, etc) would make the clam looks like its mantle is receded or curled.
Old 11/01/2006, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

i dont think it's pm either. it almost seems as if pm is the new terndy disease. I know its real and is out there, but, it seems everyone screams pm at the drop of a hat.
Old 11/01/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Re: Black and white maxima clam

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
I just got this gorgeous clam from Rommel. Isn't she gorgeous?

James
I wanted this clam when I saw it !! But you beat me to it! Sigh! Congratulations on owning a great specimen!
Old 11/01/2006, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

looks like it's just reacting to the large shadow moving over it.
Old 11/01/2006, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

I've had pm. It's not pretty. Really hard to get rid of if you have no other tank. I lost about 6 clams to pm. It spreads quickly if you don't take care of it. I believe the protozoan also falls onto the substrate and will infect other clams that come near it. If it is Pm i would treat it and put it in another tank like a QT that has adequate water quality and lighting and let your main tank resolve the remaining protos. I don't think they live without a host very long.
Old 11/02/2006, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Congrats! I would love to see (better buy ) something like this here in Germany
Old 11/02/2006, 09:50 AM
404 errors turn me on

All I can say is you better be on the next tank tour.
Old 11/03/2006, 12:31 AM
Boomer gave me this

pm is very pinched looking, (obviously) sometimes the edges fold up, a little retracted like the photo doesnt look like pM at all to me. Just to say "PM like all his clams" is just trolling. your looking to ruin this guys new purchase, dont be jealous, just say its nice and crawl back into the hole buddy
Old 11/03/2006, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

I think he was referring to Rommel's tank, which is just odd as saying Naka's are infected. I've seen Rommel's in person, and the wholesaler he got them from, no PM at either place
Old 11/03/2006, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

What an awesome looking maxima! Truly a show piece in a great looking tank! Capefear's comments IMO are sad because he is a major supporter of another vendor. The object of the tread is to enjoy a beautiful clam from a happy owner. I would love to see more pictures! Would make a GREAT sceen saver! Thanks for sharing!
James
Old 11/03/2006, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

I have to agree w/ most of you here. Rommel's stuff is top notch. I've purchased several clams, sps, and lps from him, and never had any problems. I'm looking at the clam right now, and I don't see any problems.

James
Old 11/03/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

first of all i am in no way looking to ruin this guy's purchase, it is a beautiful calm i have 2 zebra maximas myself. i hope it is a healthy clam and wish him the best of luck with it. i just would not want to see this guy pay all that money for a clam that came out of a tank filled with sps and lps where there is alot of water warfare going on and maxima clams do not take kind to that. if your eyes work you can see that there is something going on with most of the maximas in that tank. and to you reefkoi no i do not use drugs or drink alcohol either.
Old 11/03/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
first of all i am in no way looking to ruin this guy's purchase, it is a beautiful calm i have 2 zebra maximas myself. i hope it is a healthy clam and wish him the best of luck with it. i just would not want to see this guy pay all that money for a clam that came out of a tank filled with sps and lps where there is alot of water warfare going on and maxima clams do not take kind to that. if your eyes work you can see that there is something going on with most of the maximas in that tank. and to you reefkoi no i do not use drugs or drink alcohol either.
I am sorry. Water warfare?? I guess my eyes don't work either. Or is it alcohol???

There is NOTHING WRONG with putting clams in a tank with SPS and LPS !! Sounds like unfounded attack.
Old 11/03/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

yes water warfare, and if you try a walk in clinic you might be able to get a free eye exam.
Old 11/03/2006, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

guys capefear as already stated its an observation from the pic... why would everyone think hes trying to put naka down for buying it... damn... to me it looks like a possibilty.. hey anything is possible how about u post some more pics of that beautiful clam so we can see it better... just a thought....
Old 11/03/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
yes water warfare, and if you try a walk in clinic you might be able to get a free eye exam.
Just a wolf in a sheep skin. You really care if naka bought a clam that is sick?? Give me a break. You have been bad mouthing ultimatefrags for quite a few threads now. Just admit it. You are simply trolling.