Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Coast of CA Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2006, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Local food...

Has anyone local here ever tried to harvest food from the ocean? Would adding fresh crab meat, copepods, chopped molusk meat (like mussels and what not) be a safe thing to consider? Living just a couple blocks from the beach had me thinking it might even be healtier for my fish to give them some food fresh out of the ocean.

I currently am feeding my butterfly mysid and brine shrimp with Selcon occasonally, but people are telling me I should add other foods to his diet.
Old 10/24/2006, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

I use to feed hermit crabs and mussels to an octopus I had. This was about 20 years ago though.
Old 11/04/2006, 06:18 PM
Official Bear of the Reef

What fish do you have? I'm planning on raising phytoplankton and maybe zooplankton. I'd suggest you do the same. Here's the site I'm using: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...02/breeder.htm
I had another site on favorites, but the page couldn't be found.
Old 11/09/2006, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm more interesting in going down to the local tide pools and harvesting 'pods to suppliment my fish food with. Growing my own plankton seems kind of silly if I could just go harvest some from the local beaches.
Old 11/12/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

In the book 'Breeding Orchid Dottybacks' by Martin Moe, collecting wild plankton was the only way he was able to raise the fry succesfully. I have also collected plankton using a bright light at night. most of what I collected was zooplankton and my purpose was to see what it would turn into, mostly blennies.
Old 02/12/2007, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

In reply to:

"I'm more interesting in going down to the local tide pools and harvesting 'pods to suppliment my fish food with. Growing my own plankton seems kind of silly if I could just go harvest some from the local beaches."

----

Just be sure that there are no CA DFG officials around. I was once yelled at for taking a cup of water with some sand in it.

If you get a permit, you're cool.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/refuges.html