Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Steelerfan's 120g construction & set-up. (Yes I know, another 120)

Well, first of all let me start off by giving credit to those who deserve it.
1. First and foremost, I want to thank God for allowing me the strength and determination to tackle something like this and the funds to be able to purchase it all.

2. My wife, for putting up with me and this crazy hobby and for complaining more than I would like (regarding all the mess I've been making), but less than I thought she would.

3. My 4 yr old son, for loving fish & corals as much as I do and giving me another excuse to go to the lfs. (Honey, our son wants to see fishes again! (hehehhe)

4. Marino420td, for the inspiration to make something nicer and out of the ordinary. (I can only hope mine comes out half as nice as yours)

5. My brother, for helping me in many ways with the construction of this stand.

6. Sam (Holyscoly) for helping me set-up my current tank and yes, you will be helping me set-up the new one as well.
And for just being a great friend.

and
7. Felix (Zoos/reefsavy) for all of your advice and QUALITY support. And I'm sure he'll be helping with the new set-up as well (he loves all that stuff)

Now on to the show.

My current tank, a 90g mostly lps & softies

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Dayami/IM000459.jpg

The whole thing started because I was not happy with my current stand (it is extremely short, which means you have to bend down in order to see the tank)

I was originally going to have a new stand made (same style as lfs, just taller) until I saw a thread by Marino420td and the new stand he had created. (absolutely gorgeous)
I immediately mentioned to him that with his permission, I was going to steal his design and he said, "go ahead, the reason I made this thread was to inspire people"
And boy, did he ever.

Then I realized, if I'm gonna go through all the trouble of making a new stand, might as well upgrade.

Well I was all set to begin when I realized not only had I never made anything like this before but I didnt own any tools.

So, off I went to the local HD and purchased some clamps 2x4's and this table saw which I purchased for $99.00.

[/IMG]

All I can say is make sure you take correct measurements. I measured everything about 3 times and came up with a game plan. Then when it came to it, I noticed that some of my measurements were off. (back to the drawing board)

I also noticed, my saw was not cutting straight. (back to HD for more wood) (hahaha)
After a few adjustments we were on our way.

[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...i/IM000403.jpg[/IMG]

The first couple of steps

I had never really used clamps before but let me tell you, they sure have come in handy.

Here are the first signs that this thing is starting to come together. It is shown here with all 4 corners and top supports.
On top as well as in the inside, will sit a 3/4 sheet of maple.

Originally I was going to use pine wood (to cut costs) but was advised by various folks to go with maple. (they say pine seems to warp over time)

I decided that eventhough treated pine is beautiful I would place the treated side towards the inside. That way the inside will be nice and the outside could be stained darker.

Other angles

[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...i/IM000443.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the inner construction, pretty much completed.
I have followed Marino420td's design to a T. And eventhough I do feel the 2x4 supports are a bit much (at this point the stand weighs a ton, I can only imagine how much it will weigh once I have put on the outer skins) it does make me sleep better knowing that it is rock solid and It should hold whatever weight I decide to put on it.

I dont have to much time to work on this, (work & family take it all) but I will try to update as soon as I can.

I have already put the top cover on and will begin the first sanding. I have this Thursday off, so I know I will be hard at work trying to get ahead and snapping additional pics.

So long for now.

"Hancock. Sound like a bird, flying around" (Quote from Scarface)

"Click on red house for my tank build thread"
Old 10/10/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking job!!
Old 10/10/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

lookin good im glad im not the only steelers fan on here the season is far from over
Old 10/10/2006, 11:18 PM
reef obsessed

That stand looks solid!
Old 10/11/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, and yes drummerreef, it is extremely solid.

Old 10/11/2006, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

By the way, I noticed some of the pictures did not post so I will try and get those up as well.

Old 10/11/2006, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Man that stand looks like it could withstand a hurricane.

I'm originally a pittsburgh guy (south hills). You're right... the season is far from over.

Dr. Kurt
Old 10/11/2006, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

If you don't mind a suggestion. You might want to add a couple more studs and a few more triangle braces. It looks like the stand as it is now could only support a 100 gallon tank. And a car. Oh and a full cement truck, and possibly a cubic foot of dark matter from the inside of a black hole.
Old 10/11/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Hey Steeler fan, how did you post your pictures in your post? I got mine uploaded to my gallery but can't figure out how to put in the post itself. I built mine much like yours, which could hold an entire house on it. Great job so far.

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

120 gallon reef dual overflow, SPS, LPS, softies, Deltec AP600, H&S Cal Reactor, phosban reactor, closed loop
Old 10/11/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

another opinion for you Steeler fan. I used pine on mine to keep costs down and then was told by my kitchen cabinet maker (after the fact of course) who just so happened to be at my house fixing a cabinet that my grains were running in two different directions and that I could not stain it because of that. So now I have to paint mine black. He also told me that you can't have any cut edges exposed because it takes stain differently than the front of the board therefore making it difficult to match the stain. If you do want to stain it, he told me to make sure the grains of all the woods run the same way and to not have any exposed edges of wood that you cut. Hope this helps

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

120 gallon reef dual overflow, SPS, LPS, softies, Deltec AP600, H&S Cal Reactor, phosban reactor, closed loop
Old 10/11/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aharrow
Hey Steeler fan, how did you post your pictures in your post? I got mine uploaded to my gallery but can't figure out how to put in the post itself. I built mine much like yours, which could hold an entire house on it. Great job so far.
Thanks aharrow for all your advice. I certainly will try my best to make sure the grain goes in the same direction, it may be a little hard for me though considering pretty much all the pieces have been cut already and I am just waiting to put it all together.

As far as posting pictures, I had to upload mine to photobucket since you can only post a picture that comes with a url address. It was a little time consumming to say the least. (that and as you can tell the first couple did not even come out)

Old 10/11/2006, 03:43 PM
Moved On

HEY REY I WOULD LEND YOU MY TOOLS TO WORK ON YOUR STAND BUT IM AFRAID THEY WILL BREAK JUST BY TOUCHING YOUR STAND.
LOOKS LIKE YOU WILL BE MOVING THAT STAND BY YOURSELF WHEN YOUR DONE WITH IT LMAO. BTW DONT BUILT THE CANOPY LIKE YOUR STAND OR YOU WIL CRUSH YOU TANK LOL.
Old 10/11/2006, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Here is the picture of my current tank

Old 10/13/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Well, I was hard at work on Thursday just like I said I would be. This thing is taking a little longer than I had hoped. The good news is I am starting to see it develope now a little bit more.

Here is a picture of the stand with the top and first face connected.

This thing is starting to get a little heavy. I am forced to use a hand truck in order to move it around. I tried moving it around with out it and nearly threw out my back.

Initially I was going to use comercial grade staples to join the ends together, but after seeing my mentor use a pocket jig and seeing pop up more frequently I decided this was the way to go. I picked up mine at Lowes for $20.00. Word of advice, if you plan on using one of these, make sure you have a little spare time on your hands.
Not only does it take some time to drill the holes but it took forever for anyone at Lowes to even know what I was talking about, let alone find one.

However, I am glad I decided to stick with it (took 3 trips to Lowes in order to find it) as I really like the way it looks (nice and neat)

Here are a couple of shots with all 3 faces attached. Slowly but surely we are starting to make alittle progress.

Not only is it extremely hot out, but the weather seems to be playing a little game called, LET ME SEE IF I CAN CONFUSE AND **** OFF STEELERFAN, every 15 minutes or so it would start sprinkleing and I would have to cart the stand back in doors.

The rain would then last about 5-10 minutes and the sun would come back out. This went on for just about the entire day.

Here we have the first shot of the moldings that will adorn the stand. (I am starting to get excited as I am able to get alittle tease of things to come.

Man. Although really nice, these moldings are a pain in the arce.
Every time I cut one, either I cut it the wrong size or angle.
I really need to start getting the hang of this or this is really gonna get expensive.

All and all I like the way things are going. I know I would have paid alot less had I decided to go with a regular lfs stand but I feel once it's done it will be completely worth it.

Besides, had I done that then I wouldnt have been able to do a thread and share it with you guys.

Old 10/13/2006, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Well, here is the first pic which gives us an idea of how the stand will look. It has taken alot for me to get to this point, but WOW, I am really starting to get excited.

Well, all in all it was a very long, tireing and trying day. I awoke this morning sore all over.

My wife however is really starting to get excited about the stand as well. She initially was alittle skeptical on wether or not I would be able to build it.

Unfortunantly my next day off is not until Sunday, but I will try and get a little work in on Saturday.

So what do you guys think so far?

Old 10/13/2006, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Now eventhough the stand and canopy have not been completed, I wanted to share a couple pics of a few items that will make up some of the equipment.

First of all my Euro-reef.

Or as a friend of mine says "You just cannot comprehend the quality of this protein skimmer"

I decided to go with a Panworld pump to run my sump/refugium

And last but not least, a little guy who needs no introduction;

I actually just placed an order for a 2nd Tunze which hopefully wont take to long to arrive.

I figure with both Tunze's and the panworld running I should be getting about 3900 gph or so.
Not only do I hope that will be sufficient but I hope it does not kick up to much sand.

Well guys, That's all the pics I have for now but I should be posting more between Saturday and Sunday.

Old 10/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot. I placed an order for the doors today. Now eventhough I am not there yet, I figured might as well save some time.

They will be solid maple, raised panel and untreated so I could stain them. I will post pics of them once they arrive.

I really thought I was going to get away cheap until I ordered the doors and the price of the stand and canopy doubled with tha addition of the doors. (oh well) we all know to well this hobby is not cheap.

Old 10/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Moved On

looking good brother i really like it so far i think its going to be really nice. i just think you might kill the look of it with a 16 inch canopy id rather see you go with a 12 imo.
Old 10/13/2006, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

No way. 16" will be just fine.

Old 10/13/2006, 11:18 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Sweet job. Along for the ride.
Old 10/13/2006, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

looken good.
Old 10/14/2006, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Lovin the tank styling and trim, looks really solid. Can't wait to see this thing develop. Oh, and by the way, GO CHARGERS (gee I wonder where I live)!
Old 10/14/2006, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

fantastic work on the stand, things are really shaping up!
Old 10/14/2006, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chirocato
Sweet job. Along for the ride.
Thanks, Ive been following yours as well, and may I say its looking awesome. When can we expect to see your tank?

Old 10/14/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Well, I tried working on the stand today, but it's hard when you dont get home from work untill after 5:30 and you have to make time for the wife and kid.

All and all, I did manage to get about an hours worth of work in. Unfortunantly, when you are cutting moldings, you take more time getting measurements than actualy working.

Well, here is a picture of all 3 moldings that will adorn the stand.

I really like these moldings and was extremely happy that everything was going smooth today. (Hey, maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this)

Well, tomorrow I think we will be going out as a family so I am not sure how much work I will be able to get in, but we shall see.
Incredibly enough I dont even think I will be seeing my game tomorrow.