Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Got an eel, he's awesome!

After a long debate with my fiance, she finally gave in a let me get an eel! She is absolutely HORRIFIED of snakes, so up until now an eel was out of the question, but I assured her I would get tight fitting glass tops and she finally gave in.

Anyway, I got a zebra moray. He's about 18" or so, and he is so cool. I love the way his slithers around the bottom and in between the rocks. And he fit right in with my other fish, they don't even look at him.

My only issue might be feeding him. Going to be difficult to get food past my puffers and triggers to get to the eel, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I try and post some pics tonight when I get home!
Old 10/10/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Eels have very sensitive smell sensors and know when feeding time is. Wave some food (mussel, shrimp, cockle etc.) in the water and it'll pop it's head out of the rocks and some even swim to the top of the tank. Use a skewer or feeding tong to feed it as you don't want to be accidentally bitten by an eel. As you know puffers and triggers are ravenous feeders and follow the food intently. Best way to get food to the eel is to distract them. Dangle the attached food at the water surface of a part of the tank where the eel is'nt at and the puffers and triggers will go to that part of the tank. This should leave your eel alone so quickly take advantage and put the food in front of it's mouth. If the eel is not noticing the food, then touch the eel with the food somewhere near it's head and it'll grab it in no time. Hope this helps.
Old 10/10/2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

great choice
Old 10/10/2006, 07:11 PM
10 & Over Club

great choice-excellent eels and make for fine tankmates
have you had the opportunity to read this?
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php