Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2006, 01:43 PM
Moved On

Sixline

I recently saw a sixline at my LFS and I'm curious to know more about them. I have a MCF and a domino damsel (soon to be out ) in my 75g I'm curious to see what I feed them, will they work in my tank.. ETC ETC.. thanks in advance guys
Old 10/06/2006, 01:43 PM
Moved On

srry for the duplicate!!!
Old 10/06/2006, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

I've had a 6-line since April and he's my favorite fish. They're very active and curious fish. He swims all over the tank and weaves his way in and out of the rocks. Mine loves Nutra Fin Marine pellets. He will also eat Brine Shrimp, Mysis and Marine Cuisine. Once the Domino is gone, he'll probably be fine. I'm drawing a blank on MCF.
Old 10/06/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I have a 6-line in my 120. Seems hardy. JD
Old 10/06/2006, 02:43 PM
My Life for Aiur!

MCF-Maroon Clownfish
Old 10/06/2006, 03:06 PM
Moved On

Haha yeah GSMCF= Goldstripe Maroon Clown Fish
Old 10/06/2006, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

They are pretty & active fishes but can be agressive to anything with similar feeding patterns. For example if you're going to add any sand sifter species it could become a big problem with the 6 line. But perhaps with a 75 gallon tank they might all fit in if you're careful. Start off with the smallest one you can find. Ohh yea, they eat like pigs
12gl Aquapod
New "custom euro" 90 gallon under construction!
Old 10/06/2006, 03:51 PM
Moved On

Forgot to mention my watchman goby, could this be a problem?
Old 10/06/2006, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Nope, at least not in my tank. My Yellow Watchman is unfazed by the wrasse and I've seen him make a quict dart at the wrasse to chase him away. My watchman is also big enough to eat my 6-line

Quote:
Originally posted by xbambamx
Forgot to mention my watchman goby, could this be a problem?
Old 10/06/2006, 06:11 PM
Moved On

will a six line eat my camel shrimp or skunk cleaner shrimp?
Old 10/06/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Mine doesn't I have 2 cleaner's and they have all their limbs and antenna intact
Old 10/06/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Mine killed 2 skunk cleaners :/
Old 10/06/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I had a six-line in my 75gal and he was one of my favorites. The guy I bought him from said he got him to help with a flat worm problem, but he never ate them. I had a flat worm problem that he cleared up in about a week. I only lost him because I traded some rocks in at my LFS and never saw him since. I think he had hidden in one of the rocks I took out of my tank.

I will replace him and recommend them. He never bothered any of my shrimp or other inhabitants. I give the six-line
Old 10/06/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

They are great for eating pest inverts. I bought one to eat all the zoo nudis I had. I think he eats them and the eggs, because after I have removed a few big ones, they are all gone and all my zoos have recovered. They have also been known to eat pyramid snails and flat worms, and dont touch anything good in your tank (at least I dont know of anyone who has had a problem). Just make sure it eats at the LFS first, this is the hardest part about 6lines.
Old 10/06/2006, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

I love my 6 line. He's very social. He hasn't bothered my sleeper gobi and he's visible. I haven't seen him eat Danichi. I feed them frozen mix and he ate some shrimp. He's doubled his size in a month.
Old 10/06/2006, 07:25 PM
Evan in colorado

Very beautiful fish and very hardy. they will eat ANYTHING you feed them. I just give mine flake food.
Old 10/06/2006, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Be very careful with them around shrimp. Been known to eat them. Beatiful fish none the less.
Old 10/06/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Just added a sixline two weeks ago to my tank with yellow tang, clown, lawmower blenny and bengai cardinal. He's one of my favorite and the others don't care he's there - though they all have territories the sixline is allowed in all of them.

He's eating very well after a day adjustment period. Flakes, pellets, mysis, brine shrimp, zooplankton so far. Hasn't yet touched the flatworn. I only have one.
Old 10/06/2006, 08:15 PM
Unregistered Member

they are great fish, and are very active. i have had mine for more than a year and have never had any problems with him.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 10/06/2006, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

My sixline has gone carpet surfing once already in less than a year.
Fortunately I was right there when it happened.
As with most wrasses, make sure you don't have any gaps in your lid if you don't want to find them stuck to the floorboards.

Mine has no problem competing for food with damsels and clowns and is much less nippy than either species.

I love this fish and definitely recommend it. I have a cleaner shrimp that it does not bother but 3 pepps have dissappeared. Also, I wanted to put a mandarin in this tank but I don't think it would survive, the 6L is on the prowl for pods, etc all the time.
Old 10/06/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Watch the six line with shrimp. Mine ate two peppermint shrimps. Other than that he is a beautiful fish and very active. Seems to be a hardy fish as well.

Marinemom
Old 10/06/2006, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

"Forgot to mention my watchman goby, could this be a problem?"

Depends on the size difference between the goby and the 6-line. From preceding posts from others, two things come to my attention. If the goby is the bigger than things tend to be in ballance. Or certain 6-lines might be mellower but not as a general rule.

My 6-line and jester goby are the same size. So even though the 6-line was my last addition it kicked the goby into hiding. My maroon clown also the same size held it's ground then some more with an occasional ripped fin: Six lines have powerful jaws. To my pleasant surprise it does not bother my peppermint shrimp. But mixing shrimps with wrasses, in general, is still a toss up gamble.

My entire nano community will soon be transfered to my new 90gl tank. Hopefully it will give my jester goby more breathing space Plus there will be a few more fishes to distract the 6-line.
12gl Aquapod
New "custom euro" 90 gallon under construction!
Old 10/07/2006, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

My 6 Line is awesome. I have 90g and he was my first fish. At first he was very shy and would never come out. I bought a clown fish and he started coming out and hanging with the clown. They are a strange couple to say the least. They hang out a lot and dance together whenever I get near the tank. He will puff up real big and sticks that bright yellow fin up in the air.

I got a Yellow Watchman two months or so ago. The Watchman ignores everything in the tank and they ignore him.

My 6 Line must eat everything because he is getting fat. I've seen him eat a couple of bristleworms. I had a few green flatworms and they disappeared fast. I also have no amphiolds left. If it is small and moves, he eats it.

I definately approve of the 6 Line even if he does eat all the pods.

I definately wouldn't have a Mandarine with my 6 Line in the tank.