Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Clams and T5s

I recently upgraded to a new lighting fixture, the orbit Nova T5HO(8x54w) on my 55g. My LFS is getting in a shipment of clams today and wanted to get one, but before I did I wanted to make sure my lights are ok for one. Not sure what kinda what kinda I want to get yet. Will most clams do ok under my lighting? I was thinking either a maxima or crocea.
Old 09/28/2006, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

I have two croceas' and they are doing fine under only six t-5 bulbs. Go to my pics and look at the blue.
Old 09/28/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a 4 bulb setup on my 55 and my croceas look great!!! How do they get 8 bulbs in 13 inches??? I hope it has individual reflectors.
Old 09/28/2006, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbittner
I have a 4 bulb setup on my 55 and my croceas look great!!! How do they get 8 bulbs in 13 inches??? I hope it has individual reflectors.
Novas don't have individual reflectors, but since it's an 8x54w it should be enough light. I run a 4x54w Tek hood on my 55g and keep 3 croceas and a derasa happy with it. They claim the individual reflectors almost double the light intensity, so 4x54w with individual reflectors shouldn't be more intense than 8x54w without individual reflectors.
Old 09/28/2006, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

You have to buy the eight bulb hood. The 2x54 retros will not fit stacked togeather.
Old 09/29/2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Last spring I posted a question about people keeping clams LONG-TERM under fluorescents of any type.

After over 1,000 views, there were only 7 replies, and none of them had croceas if I remember right.

Not all clams are created equal. It seems that a few "tough" individuals of a species can make it under less light - but most can't. I assure you that for every success story - there are lots, and lots of failures that nobody is writing about.
Old 09/29/2006, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by critterkeeper
Last spring I posted a question about people keeping clams LONG-TERM under fluorescents of any type.

After over 1,000 views, there were only 7 replies, and none of them had croceas if I remember right.

Not all clams are created equal. It seems that a few "tough" individuals of a species can make it under less light - but most can't. I assure you that for every success story - there are lots, and lots of failures that nobody is writing about.
And yet here we are at 60 views and 3 crocea success stories in this thread.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Mine are about 6 months in my tank and as beautiful as the day I got them from Barry. t5 are not your everday fluorscents (amazingly bright). Individual reflectors concentrate the evergy of the t5 bulb into a smaller spot easily doubling the intensity (probably more). Next I'm going to try LED.
Old 09/30/2006, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

"And yet here we are at 60 views and 3 crocea success stories in this thread."

And 50 something people with nothing to say...

Yeah, I was thinking - where were these people when I was asking around? Curious, indeed. The question I posted was made sticky by the moderator for a couple of months.

Anyway, details please. How many people have done if for over a year, and how far are the clams from the bulbs? Do you see shell growth?
Old 09/30/2006, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

I have shell growth. As for t-5 success? Most people might have MH and clams. I don't know. Mine have been in my tank for 9-10 months. Only problem I have is a nippy flame. My clams are 20" from the light right on the bottom.
Old 09/30/2006, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Hey critterkeeper- a quick note on your questions. I guess a little insight is a better description. I look at T5 posts, because I happen to be a bit of a skeptic. T5's are apparently a very suitable sources, despite my skepticism, and many have claimed tremendous success. I read these posts to learn what people have to say. I have no experienec with T5, so I cant give any insight. Hence, a view, but no post.
Old 09/30/2006, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm only at about 2 months with my croceas, but my tank itself is pretty new. I started it last February. I do see shell growth on 2 of the 3 croceas. The other one is larger, and I think maybe they grow less quickly when they get bigger. My croceas range from about 8 to 12 inches from the lights, which sit directly on top of the tank.

I, too, think the reason for all the views but not many posts is that most people in this forum are running MH and are just curious about this thread. Also, there are probably some prospective clam owners doing some research by reading this forum. I think if people have tried and failed to keep croceas under T5s, they wouldn't just read this thread and not comment. They'd probably speak up about it to warn others not to try it.
Old 09/30/2006, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the replys...I asked b/c I know that T5 are just becoming more popular here in the US and there is not a whole lot of information on them yet with some of the more light demanding corals and things like clams...I was hoping to get some input from someone whos had them a while! The shipment of clams got canceled this week...so they will be here next week...so I have one more week before I have to pick one!
Old 10/01/2006, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Good luck reefer brother hope it works for you too.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

"I think if people have tried and failed to keep croceas under T5s, they wouldn't just read this thread and not comment."

I wish that was true, but I disagree. Nobody likes getting flamed.

Again, 1000 something people looked at my post and a half dozen said they'd done it. Add the few here and what do you have? Still about 10 people...

I think that's a long, long way from convincing, but I know human nature is to hear only what you want - which is why people still try anyway. Apparently Bret has already ordered his clams...
Old 10/01/2006, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by critterkeeper
"Apparently Bret has already ordered his clams...
Did you even read the whole post!!!?? The shipment fromt he LFS got canceled...I didn't order anything. I posted here b/c I wanted to hear of other people keep them under T5s or not and Like I stated before, T5s have just become popular here in the US in the past year or so, so I wanted to hear if anyone has had long tern success with them. There is a LFS here that keeps all of their SPS and Clams under T5. Does that mean I am going to do it? No. I always post on here to see what other people think...and the reason why there are so many views and little post IMO is b/c people are curious! They want to know as well. So critterkeeper...Thank you for jumping to conclusions...But I don't think you posts are needed in this thread anymore unless you have some experience with clams and T5! Have a great day!
Old 10/01/2006, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

i am reading this post every day becuase i am investing 500 bucks in an imported t5 setup from fuana marin thats brighter than my friend 2 400 watt MH, and i also know 3 of my friends that have maximas and deep blue croceas in their tank under under t5, one of them does more sps than anyone i know and his growth is great!
so to answer you gusy -yes people come who are curious, and yes in my very humble experiance- clams can be done
Old 10/01/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

For those of you keeping clans succesfully under T-5s, are you using acrylic/glass shields and how close is the fixture to the water? Thanks,
Old 10/01/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

"The shipment of clams got canceled this week...so they will be here next week...so I have one more week before I have to pick one!"

Sounded like you'd placed an order and they hadn't come yet... Please forgive me for misunderstanding, and also for not agreeing with everyone here.

Best of luck to you. Please be responsible and be sure to come back here and tell everyone how your clams are doing in a year. Same to everyone else, too. If several people do so, then opinions will change. So far we're up to about 12 or so...

BTW - anyone here can come to my presentation "Genetic Diversity and Lighting for Tridacnid Clams" at the Oceano Conference in Phoenix Oct. 21 (http://www.sioceano.com/schedule.html) and hear a full explanation of what I've found over the last two years of research if you like.

James Fatherree

Last edited by Reefcherie; 11/15/2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10/03/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck H.
For those of you keeping clans succesfully under T-5s, are you using acrylic/glass shields and how close is the fixture to the water? Thanks,
I'm using a sheet of acrylic (1/8" I think) between my lights and my tank. The lights sit directly on top of the tank, clams range from 8 to 12 inches below the lights.
Old 10/03/2006, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

my lights are 4" off the surface and I do not use a shield between the water and the glass. I do have waterproof endcaps. I read somewhere the icecap end caps can be underwater and not get water in them (so I try not to worry)
Old 10/03/2006, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

I often wonder what the % of reef keepers use t5. I wonder if it's like a Mac computer. The people who have them love them and if anyone changes they never go back.
Old 10/03/2006, 07:53 PM
I am Nano

I have a maxima under my T5's. I have the 4 bulb, 216 watt fixture over my 75 gallon. He is less that halfway down the tank, and he is starting to look dull. He is also developing small patches on his mantle where there is no color, or less color. I'm going to move him up in the tank, and then i'll post back in a week or two.
Old 10/04/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

How old are your bulbs??? Do you vent them??? Are there dark spots on the end??? What bulb configuration do you have???
Old 10/04/2006, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I have had my crocea over a year in the sand bed with 4-54 T-5s on a 75gal I will be adding one more set of t-5s