Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2006, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

What do PB Tangs like to eat?

I just introduced a Powder Blue Tang to my new reef set up. Also have 4 yellow tangs. I purchased Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies -- purple seaweed. The Yellows love it, but the PB just swims right by it. He looks like he's foraging for food, but doesn't eat it. Do you think that he ignores it because he's only been in the tank for two days, or is he just need interested, and if so, what can I buy that he'd like?

Thanks for your help
Old 09/24/2006, 11:34 AM
Member of SEA-T

when i first got my PBT he wouldnt eat the algae strips either. then one day he seen my coral beauty munching on it and he gave it a try. for a long time he wouldnt eat anything red, or if i used a red algae clip he wouldnt eat the algae. now, over a year later, he eats anything i put in the tank. still doesnt like the red alage clip though LOL. just give it some time, try feeding some frozen mysis, or other frozen foods. thats what mine ate the first day i fed him.
Old 09/24/2006, 02:24 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

try a green variety of seaweed, or some nori.
Old 09/24/2006, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Just keeping trying different foods til find what he will eat. Mine went almost 3 wks before I saw him actually eat anything I put in tank. Worried he was going to starve himself to death! He is now about 4 mo old and a pig. Eats anything! Especially loves green nori but will eat other colors. He is best buddies with my foxface.
Old 09/24/2006, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Try soaking in some garlic first to get his attention. maybe try a different spot in the tank. Is he possibly being frightened off by the yellows?

I have a Powder Brown that I added to the display yesterday after a month in quarantine. He has always eaten everything from the first day I brought him home...seaweed selects, all types of flake, frozen mysis, and my own blender mush. Keep trying different things.

Where did you get him? Maybe ask the LFS what they were feeding him.
Old 09/24/2006, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Mine likes plain green Nori. It has also just recently started dining on Green Star Polyps...I ain't complaining
Old 09/24/2006, 04:13 PM
reef-nut

Mine's a pig - he'll eat anything I put in the tank

He loves Nori Seaweed, I feed a small sheet every other day.

he also eats pellet food, mysis, and frozen krill I feed the anemone with. He even steels it from the anemone's mouth the little piggy!
Old 09/24/2006, 04:25 PM
a Buffer fish

mine used to eat nori like crazy with all the other tangs. But he died because he got caulifour desease on his lip. So he couldnt eat
Old 09/24/2006, 04:35 PM
Reefer

Red face

Mine eats anything I throw in there, including Neon Gobies! (The goby was too fast though lol)

Tangs like a diet that includes lots of vegies.
Old 09/24/2006, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have to try these varius options.

Fyi...the PBT is "king of the tank" (at least for now). The Yellow Tangs follow him around, and it seems to have changed the dynamics in the tanks -- the Yellow fight less with each other.

My PBT also chases a redhead goby I put in the same day as the PBT (hasn't caught him yet).

I bought both from Drs Fosters (and purchased the 4 yellow tangs from them earlier). The PBT was in excellent condition and a nice size -- I'd have to say that I've been happy with all of the fish I've ordered from them (and the prices are very good).
Old 09/24/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have to try these various options.

Fyi...the PBT is "king of the tank" (at least for now). The Yellow Tangs follow him around, and it seems to have changed the dynamics in the tanks -- the Yellows fight less with each other.

My PBT also chases a redhead goby I put in the same day as the PBT (hasn't caught him yet).

I bought both from Drs Fosters (and purchased the 4 yellow tangs from them earlier). The PBT was in excellent condition and a nice size -- I'd have to say that I've been happy with all of the fish I've ordered from them (and the prices are very good).
Old 09/24/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

PBT are the hardest Tang I have delt with. The first few days and even weeks are critical. Monitor its health diligently and try to ensure pristine water parameters. These fish can get sick very fast IMO.
Try some Spectrum pellet foods they are very good, and also I reccomend Hikari frozen mysis, Hikari Marine A for large fish, and Ocean nutrition Green seaweed selects.