Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2006, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

To seaclone hater pres...

can you give me your story on why you are so anti seaclone?

i just recently got one for free from a friend....

i noticed a big diff in skimate color.... compared to my cheapo jebo skimmer.... and my cyno is clearing up also...

so what gives man? it seems to me so far it's a good skimmer
Old 09/18/2006, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Sure, I just could never get the thing to work very well. I hated the airline clogging up with salt every few days. I did not care that it required constant adjustment. I did a load of work to mine and got it to work some what but it still needed a lot of adjustment, but it did not look like a Seaclone anymore. It was pretty noisy too. It overflowed when ever I did a water change.i new there had to be something better, I seen an ASM at my LFS and wow what differance.But hey if it works for you go with it, but there are a lot better skimmers around now a days. best of luck to you.
Old 09/18/2006, 01:21 AM
reef obsessed

It's about the worst skimmer ever made, besides the Skilter. You'd notice even more difference if you put one of the big boys on the tank. But hey, if it works, then more power to you.
Old 09/18/2006, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I would agree with drummereef the first time you see a real skimmer in action your opinion is likely to change. Good skimate should make you want to puke when you dump it.
Old 09/18/2006, 01:32 AM
Moved On

Location: From NYC, currently serving time in Hattiesburg, MS
At times, we all have an axe to grind. Currently, I'm grinding my axe in regards to SeaClone's apologues. To get right down to it, SeaClone knows that performing an occasional act of skimming will make some people forgive -- or at least overlook -- all of its contemptible excesses. My take on the matter is that it thinks that the most homophobic troglodytes you'll ever see are easily housebroken. However, it would love to see most reef tanks morph into small, algae covered North Koreas in which the livestock or a member of any macro-algal species who dares to defend with dedication and ferocity the very rights that it so desperately wants to abolish quickly finds himself in a heap of biological trouble. SeaClone has done inestimable damage to everything around it. Let me explain. The baneful nature of SeaClone's working systems is not just a rumor. It is a fact to which I can testify. While I haven't provided anything in the way of a concrete plan of action, it may help us focus our thinking a little better when we do work out a plan. For now, we must build a tank overflowing with compassion and tolerance, without a SeaClown therein. I will really be happy to have your help in this endeavor.
Old 09/18/2006, 01:42 AM
Registered Member

affan, you can be president for a while if you want LOL ROCK ON.
Old 09/18/2006, 01:53 AM
Moved On

Location: From NYC, currently serving time in Hattiesburg, MS
Nah, I'd much rather be the Veep
Old 09/18/2006, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

I look for it in your SIG. REEF on
Old 09/18/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

If dialed in right seaclones can actually be a decent skimmer, but the problem is you need to CONSTANTLY mess with it to keep it skimming properly.

With a good skimmer you should be able to set it up and mostly forget about it, other than cleaning it everyonce in a while and emprtying the collection cup of course.
Old 09/18/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I agree with everything everyone has said so far. My Seaclone was nothing but hassles. I upgraded to Euro-Reef and the difference is unbelieveable. Now I won't even bother using the Seaclone on my nano.
Old 09/18/2006, 02:21 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by DSMpunk
If dialed in right seaclones can actually be a decent skimmer, but the problem is you need to CONSTANTLY mess with it to keep it skimming properly.

With a good skimmer you should be able to set it up and mostly forget about it, other than cleaning it everyonce in a while and emprtying the collection cup of course.
I heartily disagree.

If totally dialled in, the seaclone can approach a not-so-horifically-awful skimmer, but it in no means comes even close to decent.

It just simply isnt big enough, and doesnt pull nearly enough air to be decent. As to an earlier poster, the Jebo I run on my seahorse tank absolutely smokes a seaclone, and it cost $39 new.
Old 09/18/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

I have a friend thats ran a seaclone for years. its never broke. and the only mod hes done thus far is changing the powerhead. his skimmate looks the same as what those from asm produce. and it smells god awful. but on the other hand, my cousin has the same one with the same powerhead, and it sucks.
Old 09/18/2006, 03:39 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by NCreefwannabe
I have a friend thats ran a seaclone for years. its never broke. and the only mod hes done thus far is changing the powerhead. his skimmate looks the same as what those from asm produce. and it smells god awful. but on the other hand, my cousin has the same one with the same powerhead, and it sucks.
The problem is, the ASM would be producing more than the Seaclone's cup could hold in 8-10 hours.

Every time I actually see one of these super tricked out Seaclones taht teh owners claim work well, I'm reminded that these people have never seen a real skimmer (and NO, a remora is not a real skimmer).
Old 09/18/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: To seaclone hater pres...

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan_unsane
can you give me your story on why you are so anti seaclone?

i just recently got one for free from a friend....

i noticed a big diff in skimate color.... compared to my cheapo jebo skimmer.... and my cyno is clearing up also...

so what gives man? it seems to me so far it's a good skimmer
You've just gone from a '79 Pinto to an '85 Yugo.
Old 09/18/2006, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Don't use the airvalve that come with the maxijet but instead use the airvalve for the airpump. you can purchase one for around $2.00 at your LFS. you don't have to dial for the right setting if you use the airpump's airvalve. I changed mine and it works. it doesn't produce anything close to ASM skimmer but i'll take it for now. Hope that help!!!

$
Old 09/18/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If totally dialled in, the seaclone can approach a not-so-horifically-awful skimmer, but it in no means comes even close to decent.
Well, i had a seaclone on my 75 for about a year and by decent I mean that it pulled out a cup of dark brown stuff about every other day. I updgraded to a remora pro 2 years ago and it skims out more stuff without messing with it all the time.

But then again you said a remora isnt a real skimmer either...

I am upgrading to an ASM G3/G4 soon though, so then I can see what a "real" skimmer pulls out for a better basis of comparison.
Old 09/18/2006, 05:45 PM
Team RC Member

The seaclone the lfs runs on their 75reef tank skims pretty good. Not as good as say a coralife super skimmer but it still skims.
Old 09/18/2006, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

The local big box has a bunch of cheap HoB skimmers on a nearly empty SW tank. The only one that pulls stuff up consistently is the Saline Solutions air-driven skimmer; it pulls out enough crap that the Prism and SeaClone can barely get any foam to form, let alone into the cup.
Old 09/18/2006, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

well it's been 2 days with-out even a half of a cup of skimmate produced... but it's BLACK stuff, no where near what my jebo 180 could do....

i can not defend or comment on other skimmers, as a pretty much broke #$$ college student i'm going to continue to use the skimmer... and maybe hang the seaclone on the display and eventually when i get my sump place the cheapo jebo in it...

does anybody have a comment on if this is even worth the hassle?

could two crap skimmers make a decent one?
Old 09/18/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I think you could get a RO NW 110 for about a hundred bucks.
Old 09/18/2006, 11:35 PM
Aquatic Philosopher

"could two crap skimmers make a decent one???"

No, you still have two crappy skimmers =D

Now I have a Remora Pro and I want to know why it isnt a real skimmer? I love my remora and it fits my system perfectly.

Now I am a poor college student as well but I finally put the money together and got the remora pro and it his done wonders, if anything I am going to have to spend less by doing less water changes so it might actually pay for itself.

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University
Old 09/18/2006, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
I think you could get a RO NW 110 for about a hundred bucks.

that's how much the dude spent that gave me the seaclone
Old 09/18/2006, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

my ER (when i had it running) used to pull this crap man, i swear! the stuff was so thick that it never made it to the collection cup. the liquid that acctually made it was dark green of course, but from where the water level in the skimmer stopped, all the way up to the cap would be covered in like a 1\4" thick layre of puke green stuff (s**t... would be the best way to describe it) it was absolutely amazing! i love that skimmer! its the ER es5-3 rated for like a 100+g tank. i cant wait to get that thing back up and running again!
as for the seaclone, ive never even seen one! i dont even know what it looks like!
Old 09/19/2006, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

The RO NW 110 is a whole differant animal. It is a needlewheel style skimmer with a decent pump. Its well made works very well and is very affordable. Look here www.octopusskimmer.com
If you ever get to where you want to upgrade its a lot more skimmer than the seaclone.
Old 09/19/2006, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

So what does everyone suggest for a good skimmer?