Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2006, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Question Christmas Tree Worm Rock?

Just like the title says. I have read whatever I could find on this symbiotic relationship. But, I can never seem to find any good care information. Can anyone who has successfully kep these long term chime in and help me out? Thanks.
Old 09/10/2006, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 09/10/2006, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

I don't know of anyone who has been able to keep them for over a year or so. I actually got a christmas tree rock with my live rock but it didn't last more than 6 months. I think they probably need better conditions than our tanks provide. But if I had to guess:

1. Good conditions to keep the coral alive. This includes strong light, good flow, low organics, and adequate Ca/Alk for building.
2. Something food wise for the christmas tree worms. Whether thats phytoplankton or zoaplankton, I don't know. I didn't provide this for my tank which may be why mine didn't make it.

Anyway they are very pretty but dificult to keep, especially long term. Hopefully someone else will offer better suggestions for care.
Old 09/10/2006, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I've read that they now believe that the Christmas tree worms live off the slime the coral gives off and that why you have to keep the coral alive.
Old 09/10/2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Crabby
I've read that they now believe that the Christmas tree worms live off the slime the coral gives off and that why you have to keep the coral alive.

I'm not sure about that. I've had one Christmas Tree worm rock that arrived with about 15 worms and 95% of the Porites coral already dead, that was nearly a year ago and all the worms are growing and still doing fine.
Old 09/10/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

thank you everyone, hopefully others will chime in. these are absolutely beautiful and I would love to do a species specific tank. i want to make sure I can keep them successfully though.
Old 09/10/2006, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

I have kept them for quite some time now. I think they are a beauty to have in your tank. I feed my tank both cyclopeeze and phytoplankton. The number of christmas tree worms on my rock has only grown. My rock is about the size of a soft ball. I've only had my rock for 4 months but have had a friend who is going on two years with his rock and it looks the same as the day it was purchased and put in his tank. I guess the lifespan and quality of the christmas tree worms and rock really depends on the quality of your tank and how well you keep it up.....Good Luck to you
Old 09/10/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

how much light and flow does your friend have? and what size tank is it and does he have a skimmer? thanks.
Old 09/11/2006, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

bump