Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2006, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

apt dweller needs water filter sugg

help I live in an upstairs apt and I'm tired of lugging water jugs up 2flights ! I only have a kithen sink and a small bathroom sink.Any ideas for making tank grade water.is there a portable RO unit for apts? I don't have access to a hose faucet.I tried tap water w/a dechlorinator but I had a problem w algae.I tried a Pur filter but the filters don't last too long.any ideas?
Old 09/06/2006, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I live in a downtown condo and just installed an RO unit under the sink. The plumbing is fairly straight forward and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 09/06/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

which type did you buy
Old 09/06/2006, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I bought an aquasafe unit on ebay. It really doesn't take too long to install under the sink, and in the long run it ends up being cheaper than trying to buy all that water anyway.
Old 09/06/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

I bought one off ebay as well, I'll check on the brand when I get home tonight. I haven't had any problems with mine, but I have heard mixed feedback regarding some of the ebay units.
Old 09/06/2006, 05:29 PM
Team RC Member

Steer clear of the e-bay units, the quality just isn't there. RC sponsors like www.thefilterguys.biz, www.purelyh2o.com or www.spectrapure.com can set you up with a much better unit. Others I would also check out are www.airwaterice.com and www.buckeyefieldsupply.com . All these vendors build much higher quality units that will both provide better quality water and last you much longer due to the better quality components and filters.