Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2006, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

OT: Reefers who Snowboard

Hi Everyone, I figured, I can't be the only one who snowboards on here. My friend Phil is having a Premiere of his Snowboarding DVD tonight. PheelGoodInc's "Dirty South" is tonight at 7:30pm at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles and it's FREE to get in. I've seen some rough cuts and this video is going to be AWESOME!!! Some of the best local riders around, but they're not just local talent. These guys are blowing up and have been seen in other vids as well as a few magazine ads, such as Eli Weiner's 2 page spread for 686 clothing in the last Transworld. Anyway, it's free for anyone that wants to come and get stoked that the season's just around the corner. Here's the directions. Also, on the flyer it says go up the stairs, but actually take the elevator and go to the "G" floor.

If you have any questions on directions, mapquest it or you can call me personally on my cell 310-488-0955. See ya tonight!!! If you can't make it tonight, his video will be on sale starting tomorrow, it's only $5, he's not trying to make money on it, just trying to get the name out there. Check the PheelGoodInc.com website for more details!
~Scott aka Mouse

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 09/01/2006, 03:50 PM
Moved On

How funny....Is this the same scottkelly I met at mt high years ago? My name is proraptor on AIM I think Ive talked with you before...
Old 09/01/2006, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

that sounds very interesting...too bad i wont be able to make it. Are you guys going to buckoff on sat?
Old 09/01/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotchMaster
How funny....Is this the same scottkelly I met at mt high years ago? My name is proraptor on AIM I think Ive talked with you before...
hahaha Yep that's me. Wow small world, I totally remember you!

Quote:
Originally posted by raastamon
that sounds very interesting...too bad i wont be able to make it. Are you guys going to buckoff on sat?
Heck yeah, I'll be there! Are you going? I'll be on the snow videoing probably.

My friend Phil did all of Mountain High's videos last year, so if you guys want to see a taste of them click here http://www.mthigh.com/video/VideoVault05.6.html
"Dirty South" will be awesome because it'll have all the mountain High stuff, but also Bear, Mammoth and street rails.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 09/01/2006, 04:50 PM
Moved On

how funny I didnt know you were into reefs I havent snowboarded forever
Old 09/01/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

someone plan a reefer snowboarding trip so we can talk about corals while eating snow.
Old 09/01/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

yup, I've got a 55 gallon, transferred from a 12 Nano, so it's pretty bare. But a few years ago, I had a 125 reef that was totally stocked. I haven't boarded since the 4th of July gotta love Mammoth! lol But I don't think I'm gonna ride tomorrow at the Buckoff, I'm just going to video.

Old 09/01/2006, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

yea man... i definately watch the mthigh vids all the time... everything on there is from pheelgoodinc. you guys do awesome work... i wont be able to make it tomm since im working... i dont know if any of my friends are competing though.... im sure u guys will have fun!!!
Old 09/01/2006, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezcompany
someone plan a reefer snowboarding trip so we can talk about corals while eating snow.
Cool, once the snow starts falling, we'll get a group together and go ride.

Quote:
Originally posted by raastamon
yea man... i definately watch the mthigh vids all the time... everything on there is from pheelgoodinc. you guys do awesome work... i wont be able to make it tomm since im working... i dont know if any of my friends are competing though.... im sure u guys will have fun!!!
Yep, Pheelgoodinc. does some really good stuff Sorry, you wont be able to make it tomorrow, but we should all definitely go ride together when the season starts.

Old 09/01/2006, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

i think the name and location where i live gives thst away, but i did switch to skiing this past winter.. twin tip libs are awsome,.. used to ride & work with some of thos guys if I got the names right when i lived in big bear
Old 09/01/2006, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MammothReefer
i think the name and location where i live gives thst away, but i did switch to skiing this past winter.. twin tip libs are awsome,.. used to ride & work with some of thos guys if I got the names right when i lived in big bear
I am both envious and disgusted lol j/k I have a bunch of friends that ski also. Some of them seriously throw down too! I'm jealous, Mammoth had such an awesome season last year, I hope it's another great one. But I imagine finding fish and corals is tough up there.

Old 09/01/2006, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

hehe not to bad, 3 other reefers in town, and another couple just down the mtn in bishop. I just pick stuff up when I come south to visit the family. It works out great because I used to have this bad habit of messing with my tank on a daily/weekly basis.. now I only add stuff once every 2-3 months. which makes for a much happier tank.

ooh and I work for the mountain, and offer a coral 4 ski ticket exchange program
Old 09/01/2006, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I bet your tank is happier, but so is your wallet! Excellent, I'll have to bring some corals up the next time I go up there.

Old 09/01/2006, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

mammothreefer

i definately plan on going up to mammoth this season.... im down for the coral for ski ticket program.

When the time comes ill hit you up!!
Old 09/02/2006, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

mammoth is awesome
Old 09/02/2006, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Oh man, mammoth was crazy last year. We went up for new years and it snowed about 103 inches in 3 days. Can't say the same for bear mtn or mtn high unfortunately. Have you guys ever tried whistler? I heard the runs lasts about 45 min. We might try that this year.
Old 09/02/2006, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

just a pretender. i've got an OLD burton 165 performer hanging out in my garage....you know the type with scags...
Old 09/03/2006, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chainsaw5vent
just a pretender. i've got an OLD burton 165 performer hanging out in my garage....you know the type with scags...
wow, that's awesome! probably worth some money now. Old snowboards are becoming very collectable. do a little research, depending on year, you might have a small very hard to find board.

Old 09/03/2006, 04:38 AM
Registered Member

Been to Whistler a couple of times and both times went backcountry in a heli...it was amazing!

The runs do last forever. There's over a mile of vertical drop compared to Mt High's 2 thousand some feet.
Old 09/03/2006, 04:42 AM
Registered Member

I'm a snowboard guy and the reef thing is come in second. but the snowboard is still rule so pm me any time you go out there mountain high, mamoth or big bear. I will be there!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09/03/2006, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by energy_crisis
Been to Whistler a couple of times and both times went backcountry in a heli...it was amazing!

The runs do last forever. There's over a mile of vertical drop compared to Mt High's 2 thousand some feet.
haha, that's a little too hardcore for me. I'll stick with my jumps at bear mtn. How often do you guys go? I would love to do a backcountry run at whistler, esp out of a heli.
Old 09/03/2006, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

I used to go a few times a week when there's good conditions locally and a trip or two to mammoth or tahoe each season. It should be easy to get a few or bunch of people to share a van and cabin or room...all I need is enough space for a sleeping bag and a hot shower and I'll go pretty much anywhere.
Old 09/03/2006, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by energy_crisis
I used to go a few times a week when there's good conditions locally and a trip or two to mammoth or tahoe each season. It should be easy to get a few or bunch of people to share a van and cabin or room...all I need is enough space for a sleeping bag and a hot shower and I'll go pretty much anywhere.
AMEN to that!!

last season was actually my first season! Fell in love with it and started going every week. Mostly to the local spots, MtHigh and Bear, but I did manage to plan a trip to Tahoe and that was awesome. I learn how to hit up the boxes and rails(boardslide,50/50) and landed my first 180back off a jump on the last day! So i cant wait to get this season started, hopefully get FS down!

ramon
Old 09/03/2006, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

I went boarding a few times, and found it too painful. I am back to being a skier, and I still love it after 37 years.

Mammothreefer, we have a couple friends who work the mountain, one in kids ski school, the other lift maintenance. What do you do there?

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead--Jimmy Buffett
Old 09/03/2006, 11:43 AM
Reef slave

i already got my season pass for the year.=) summit or bear mtn. i would be down for a day at mtn high. starting the snow dance