Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

MH or T5 Lights...I know its been asked

I tried to serach for this but, the search is down so, I'm going to post it. I'm looking into new lights for my 58 gallon tank. I'm a believer in MH and have always used them but, Lately I've seen a lot of info on T5. I want to keep SPS, LSP, softs and maybe a clam or 2. Basically a mix tank. I found a reto kit with 8 x 39 t5 for 279.00. I know I can get 2 250 watt MH for about the same price. If I go with the T5 can I keep the livestock I want? Maybe if I put the light loving corals at the top with the low light corals at the bottom? Any input would be good. I want to know as much as I can before buying.
Old 08/27/2006, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

MH with T5 supplements.
Old 08/27/2006, 12:29 PM
reef supply website owner

you should be able to grow them in T5s, since others have been successful. I think more important is your water params, stability, and flow. The SPS you could put towards the top of the rock work, LPS etc closer to the bottom. No reason why it wont work..you will lose out on the shimmer effect of MH but save on electricity....good luck either way.
Old 08/27/2006, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

It really comes to preference. You will save some on power with T5, but your bulb replacement cost will be a little higher. I really like the ripple effect that can only be achieved from point source lighting. I also think it(mh) looks a bit more natural than flourescent strip lighting. But you see, this is my PERSONAL opinion, go with what you like to look at and weigh out the advantages/disadvantages.
Old 08/27/2006, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

That was not a joke. I currently run T5's and my next tank will be T5's as supplements with Halides as the main source of lighting,

I read my post and thought it sounded like a joke.
Old 09/26/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

M.H. are much safer than T5s. JD
Old 09/26/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Do both
Old 09/26/2006, 11:45 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo045
M.H. are much safer than T5s. JD
Explain.
Old 09/26/2006, 11:57 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I'm switching out my de mh lights for T5HO lights. Cheaper, less heat, better light color choices. Overdriving the lights with good reflectors and you can keep just about anything at the bottom of a 24" tank.

If you can keep something at the bottom of your tank, you can keep it anywhere at the bottom of the tank with T5HO lights, the PAR is the same all over the sandbed. You can't say that about a MH bulb since there is a hot spot directly under the bulb, and fades the farther off center you get.

You have to look at the good sides of each and pick what works best for you. Simply saying T5 lights are not as good as MH is like saying that SE and DE MH bulbs produce the same quality of light, which they do not.
Old 09/26/2006, 12:03 PM
Flowalicious

"I'm switching out my de mh lights for T5HO lights. Cheaper, less heat, better light color choices. Overdriving the lights with good reflectors and you can keep just about anything at the bottom of a 24" tank. "

Sometimes theyre cheaper.

As for less heat, absolutely not. They produce about he same amount of light per watt as MHs, so waste the same amount per watt, so they produce pretty similar heat. The big difference is that the heat on a MH bulb is in a much smaller area, whereas the T5s are spread out. So Yes, a MH is hotter, but it does not produce more heat (in an equivalent wattage situation).

Sarduci, I'd highly reccomend you dont overdrive you're T5s. Just about everyone i know who has those T5 coral lightening issues uses an IceCap660 for their T5s. It is my opinion that its not an intensity issue, but some sort of spectrum issue, like maybe theyre spiking at a wavelength that is bothering the coral.
Old 09/26/2006, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I just went through the same thing. I went with the T5s. The tanks that I have seen with T5s had just as good looking corals (soft and hard) as any MH. The T5s are also MUCH cooler so you wont be boiling your water out. If you do go with the T5 you sould use 54W not the 39W. I saw a 55 gal. tank with 4 x 54W x 48in. and it was outstanding. I hope my corals will look that good. You should also look on ebay before you get it. I found my unit (a Tek. 6 x 54W x48in.) on ebay for $298. with free shipping, two days after paying $350.00 at a reef shop. As they say that is just my opinion. I just love the look of the T5s and what they do for the little world in your tank.
Old 09/26/2006, 12:40 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

I'm probably now in the overlighting camp, but I like both T5s (may CF lamps burn in heck), and my MH.
Old 09/26/2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeGee
That was not a joke. I currently run T5's and my next tank will be T5's as supplements with Halides as the main source of lighting,

I read my post and thought it sounded like a joke.
i read it the way you menat it. when i finally get my 90 rolling, it will be lit by 1) 250 DE mh and 3 or 4 54w t5ho.

but yeah, t5ho are totally capable of keeping what you want , just as MH is.
Old 09/26/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sarduci
I'm switching out my de mh lights for T5HO lights. Cheaper, less heat, better light color choices. Overdriving the lights with good reflectors and you can keep just about anything at the bottom of a 24" tank.

If you can keep something at the bottom of your tank, you can keep it anywhere at the bottom of the tank with T5HO lights, the PAR is the same all over the sandbed. You can't say that about a MH bulb since there is a hot spot directly under the bulb, and fades the farther off center you get.

You have to look at the good sides of each and pick what works best for you. Simply saying T5 lights are not as good as MH is like saying that SE and DE MH bulbs produce the same quality of light, which they do not.
so what does produce better quality light, DE or SE MH bulbs.
Old 09/26/2006, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sarduci
Simply saying T5 lights are not as good as MH is like saying that SE and DE MH bulbs produce the same quality of light, which they do not.
Could you expand on that please?
Old 09/26/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freshwaterplant
Could you expand on that please?
so which one do produce better quality light, SE or DE MH bulbs.
Old 09/26/2006, 03:26 PM
Always Learning

I run halides and use T5's as supplementation.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 09/26/2006, 03:28 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by cybertec69
so which one do produce better quality light, SE or DE MH bulbs.

You're the one whos claiming that theyre different, you have to support your point, not him.
Old 09/26/2006, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
You're the one whos claiming that theyre different, you have to support your point, not him.
you must be confused, I never claimed anything.
Old 09/26/2006, 03:59 PM
Flowalicious

my bad, I confuse you with the other guy when you quoted someone who responded to him.