Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2006, 07:00 PM
Not that way, minions!!

Exclamation Help!!! Ulcers on side of Green Wolf Eel!!

My wolf eel has 3 large ulcer-like patches on one side of his tail end. One patch has actually destroyed the end of his tail. I have no idea what this could even be. He spends so much time in the rockwork that I noticed it for the first time today, and it looks terrible. Right now he is in quarantine, and I'm treating him for bacterial and fungal infections using MelaFix and Pimafix. Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? I could really use some pointers on how exactly to deal with this, because I've never seen anything like it. It would break my heart to lose this fish; he's my absolute favorite and I've had him for nearly a year. Tank specs were as follows: Nitrates 5ppm, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0ppm, pH 8.2, sg 1.022, temp 78 degrees. If anyone can recommend a better treatment or tell me exactly what is going on I would thank them from the absolute bottom of my heart!!! Help me save my fish!!!!
Desperately yours,
Jason
Old 08/12/2006, 09:15 PM
Moved On

Hi Jason, sorry for your being upset about your wolf eel Know this that treatment alone is never enough for the best treatment in your case is higher water quality over all to do more often water changes in this case.

Quote:
My wolf eel has 3 large ulcer-like patches on one side of his tail end. One patch has actually destroyed the end of his tail. I have no idea what this could even be.
I not find this so strange at all for here is a little of an idea of the problem in keeping any marine species and specially with over stocking or poor maintenance of a tank.

Ulcers may result from many causes like trauma, stress, burns (chemical or thermal) or viruses for they could become contaminated with bacteria in which will/could spread from there and through the blood to other parts of the animals body. Like one thing I agree with is that any animal species can develop this ulcer over pressure points where bones lie right under the animal skin where it can easily be rubbed and abraded.

You need too administer antibacterial medications.
The best treatment includes the oral antibiotics chloramphenicol and I might believe that furazolidone may help as well.
but over all; Improving water quality, reducing stress, and decreasing the risk of injury are all very important in reducing the incidence of ulcers.

Buddy ><{{{{">

And a PS. Jason, you got this at its early stages it seems, you have a great chance in reversing this problem, you need to not be lazy about it and do all the best for the tanks water quality, Good Luck
Old 08/12/2006, 09:49 PM
Not that way, minions!!

Thanks for the info on the meds. As to the water quality, the tank gets a 20% water change once a week, it has a skimmer, I run carbon, it has a lot of macroalgae in it, the only inhabitant was the eel (which sounded about right for 40 gallons), it gets 10X turnover per hour, and...oh wait a minute...I see...the 5 ppm nitrates in the first post was supposed to be .5 ppm. That explains the water quality thing. As to reducing the risk of injury, right now he's in a quarantine tank with no rock, just a giant clump of caulerpa to hide in. So, he won't get scraped up on that. I think if he starts healing up ok I may remove most of the liverock from his tank and put in a nice, soft seagrass bed. I have the feeling this may all have started with him scraping himself up on the rocks. In any case, thanks again for the advice.
Old 08/12/2006, 10:42 PM
Moved On

Quote:
As to the water quality, the tank gets a 20% water change once a week, it has a skimmer, I run carbon, it has a lot of macroalgae in it, the only inhabitant was the eel (which sounded about right for 40 gallons), it gets 10X turnover per hour, and...oh wait a minute...I see...the 5 ppm nitrates in the first post was supposed to be .5 ppm. That explains the water quality thing.
Jason, water quality is somewhat tricky for please not misunderstand me for nitrates will not do this thing you have. Also the water quality I speak of is not just to do with your water testing.

For as well, it takes me much time to type things, so I will try to be brief. I years ago had 10x turnover or better and this I have to say is somewhat of a miff in having a better tank, over all that is for my twin eel tanks have a turnover rate of about 5.5 and as well, you a turnover rate of twice that and so much smaller a system for the twin eel tanks I speak of are a 70 and 130 gal tanks with a 40 gal sump and as I said, I a turnover of 5.5

The other thing for you is that I wouldn't` keep a wolf eel forever in even a 40 for the larger the tank for this species be the better, it needs much room to do well over all as well a healthy diet. Also it requires lots of hiding places and if you mentioned something of L/R before, then please ignore that comment.

I see his in a QT, he needs some items to hide well like pvc pipe and not have the tanks lights on for in so small a tank with no place to hide will only add to its stress.

Eels (even that the wolf eel is not a true eel in the sense of the word) and L/R goes together, they need it.

Sea grass and so will only add to one more thing, "Bacteria" for in all life to do with in the oceans and on land, there be bacteria. It could had been from the rocks if it was added to your tank right out of the ocean, but I would have to doubt that.

Buddy
Old 08/12/2006, 10:53 PM
Insane Reefer

What is your feeding schedule and types of foods offered?

Definitely keep the LR...

Ed
Old 08/13/2006, 09:56 AM
10 & Over Club

in my opinion your best course of action here is to get this wolf eel out of the main tank an into a quarentine tank so you can treat w/ more potent antibiotics. Those ulcers wil get worse if you don't stop the pathogen. Thats said I do not find melafix and primfix as effective, they are herbal remedies and inconsistant. Consider a full spectrum antibiotic, I like the nitrofurazone based AB, primarily becuase of their water solubility, but also consider SW maracyin II. ALso remember if you treat the main tank you'll be treat larger gallonage, and you'll have to stop using carbon and your skimmer, so a Q tank is the best solution.
Old 08/13/2006, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys, but he didn't make it through the night.
Old 08/13/2006, 01:06 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, but he didn't make it through the night.
I am very sorry of the lost of your wolf eel, but I thought it was that your wolf ell wasn't as bad as that for I can show you photos to where that of a green moray eel has ulcers all over its body and was still alive.

Of course the wolf eel is far smaller in size and perhaps the infection was far greater then you left me too believe. In any case if you any further desires to own a wolf eel, please do think in having nothing smaller then a 70 gal tank and completely setup prier to buying the eel.

For I have too believe that the stress the poor fella was under, was far greater then you even thought for as well, you not mentioned anything on if its breathing if was different from before this over taken your eel.

It was the same thing for myself with my male dragon, when he caused the L/R to shift and had then trap him on both sides of his body and not from above. He later was flat on his back appearing totally stress out with his breathing even slowing dangerously.

Now I used that Melafix for two reasons in treating this eel, for one was that it is safe with L/R and the second reason was I not wish to stress this eel any further then he has been.

There be few other reasons as well for I would also had to remove more then 80% of the tanks L/R. For FMarini is correct that you`re not find the melafix or primfix as effective, Not in cases for ulcers anyway.

In any cases for fish in a health risk situation, the hobbyist needs too prevent any stress on that species.

My male dragon is always showing himself and he is acting as all is normal, he or the female hasn't feed in more then two months, but as I always said that I'm not worried about that, I had offered the male food yesterday and he shook his head from side to side that he not wanted it. So now I will wait until Friday or Saturday and see if they any desire to feed.

Buddy