Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2006, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

new salt = cloudy water ???

i just got done plumbing my 90 gallon, tested it with freshwater, drained it and added an approximate amount of salt..... filled it with RO water turned on the powerheads, sump, etc..... that was last night (about 22 hours ago). the water is cloudy? like the salt is not mixing well? checked the salinity and it is correct. the tank is 18" wide and i can barely see an object six inches back from the glass!??!

any ideas? is this normal? the salt mix was coralife.... i have used it before with no issues like this in my 40g that has been running for about six months (same source for water, same brand of salt).

i have about 200 pounds of live rock ready to go in.... should i keep the rock out of that water while it is cloudy like that?

thanks!
Old 07/21/2006, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

it should clear up

you should always mix salt in another container before adding it to a tank.

i would add [sand if using it] then half salt water then add LR then top off with saltwater and let it cycle
Old 07/21/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Always place the RO water into your mixing container first before adding the salt. Then add salt until you get to the SG that you desire.

If you add the RO water to the salt you could have precipitation until it becomes properly deluded. This will cause the water to be cloudy.

Old 07/21/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

mix salt and water outside your tank. if you mix inside it will be cloudy. But it will settle after a while.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:04 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
what type of salt is it? i had the same problem with IO

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/21/2006, 11:00 PM
nothing to say here

Weird.

When I fired up my 180 and 60 sump, I filled with RO, then added the IO salt. Cycled it for a day. It was clear from the get go.
Old 08/08/2006, 03:03 AM
Secretary, South Bay Reef

I know of a tank that's got white slime after one day of being setup with IO salt. Said the water was nealy opaque and now thinks are covered with slime... new tank.. was filled with FW ofr a few days to get an eye on the temp of the new system...
Old 08/08/2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

finally cleared up. it took about three days? i think adding the water before the salt is the proper solution.... why, i am not really sure?