Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2006, 12:53 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

Unhappy I've Decided To Get Outta The Hobby For A While, It's Taken It's Toll On Me.........

well folk's here's my sad story, after a long ten years or so and many water change's and water spills all over the house, the wifey nagging that im spending too much money, coral's withering, corals living and thriving i've decided to step back from the hobby of reefing for a while, hence a move to a newly purchased home i've decided to just sell the reef off and take a break for a while, i really cant tell you pal's of mine here on reef central if i will ever get back into it or not? im very disheartened at the thought of this whole ordeal although it must be done in order to pursue other things in my life as im blooming like a flower in my education and career. i just wanted all the reefcentral staff and members to know you guy's and gal's are awesome and this board is very cool and very helpful, im just gonna step back for awhile and see how thing's go from here on out... if you look on the used equipment forum you will see that i posted my whole tank for sale... again i just wanted to say thanx everybody, oh and one more thing for the reefcentral staff, please dont move me on because i just might still be posting and helping others on this board still as i always will even though im between tank's and taking a break, happy reefing everybody i'll be seeing you all hopefully soon...
Old 07/17/2006, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

well you may be between tanks and all but the knowledge and understanding of the hobby that you have learned here will be forever. I dread the day in which i have to move my tank let alone the day ill have to get rid of it. sorry to see you leaving this wonderfull hobby (black hole of money).lol
Old 07/17/2006, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

you will be back.

I took a 7 year break and am back stronger than ever.

Take care. Whatever you do don't forget to have fun!
Old 07/17/2006, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I sold up when I got married & had to move house etc..., always thought about it though, fifteen years later I came back!
What the big surprise was though, how much everything had changed in the meantime! Under gravel filters was the latest technology when I had been doing it first time!! Keep colorful SPS? Forget it!!
Old 07/17/2006, 06:58 PM

thanx all...
Old 07/18/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Good luck with your endeavours and I hope you find your way back to reef keeping. You know, a small 30gal cube is really easy to take care of... eh? Come on... you know you want one.

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 07/18/2006, 02:40 AM
Always Learning

Good luck, hopefully you will find your way back.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 07/18/2006, 04:46 AM
Registered Member

I don't think you can ever really leave this.

BUt take cares
Old 07/18/2006, 05:44 AM
Registered Member

It's temporary ChAoTiCrEeFeR4U, this hobby is like an opiate LOL . You'll be back . Best of luck in between tanks though .
Old 07/18/2006, 06:15 AM
TRC Leader

Enjoy your break. You'll feel refreshed and full of vigor when you opt to set up a new tank, better than before.

You have no need to worry about being "moved on", as that is reserved only for those that are banned due to inappropriate posts and lack of cooperation. Even without a tank, you still have knowledge and experience many can benefit from. Stick around, and say hi once in a while.
Old 07/19/2006, 12:40 AM

you guy's are awesome and the best, thanx for the kind word's...
Old 07/19/2006, 01:46 AM

Well I went through the same thing... wife nagged harder than ever, mortgage payment getting tighter, my son growing faster (needing more money, LOL) So what did I do? I refi'd the house and upgraded to a BIGGER TANK!!! If the going gets tough.... UPGRADE!

Anyways, good luck to you. hope to see you back soon!
Old 07/19/2006, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up hahaha

you are so very enlightening xtm, will consider it...lol
Old 07/19/2006, 10:00 AM
Alpha One

A break is needed once in a while, but if you are truly passionate about the hobby you will be back. Take some times to gather thoughts and ideas of how to create new and improved tank from scratch.

Good luck and hope to see you back here soon.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 07/19/2006, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Just setup a nano and have a little piece of the ocean =)
Old 07/19/2006, 10:15 AM
Proud Father

Your name looks very familiar to me for some reason. I think we have talked in the past and maybe even over at NR. Either way, good luck in whatever you do. I took a short year break and now I am setting up a system that should blow my others away.

I know how wifes can be, if she knew how much money I have spent on my racing quad or my tanks, she would kill me, then divorce me...in that order! lol

RC will welcome you back with open arms once you return, because YOU WILL RETURN...muhahahahaha

Mike
Old 07/19/2006, 02:14 PM
Flips"R"us...U?

ChAoTiCrEeFeR4U,

You will be missed here on RC....you'll be back though someday. Saltwater is very addictive..lol.
I just got back from hawaii three days ago and I love taking vacations more often but cannot due to my reef tank. I ask my brother to watch my tank when I'm away but cannot ask him all the time since he has other priorities..so, I'm thinking of "retiring" from the hobby soon.
Good luck!!!
[O] f
[S] weetness
Old 07/19/2006, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

I bet you WILL be back.

Anyone wanna bet against me for my 75G setup?
Old 07/19/2006, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

I was out of SW for 8 years, one day I just gave it up, too much work, not enough success and the inability to ever leave my house for more than a day finally got to me and I called it quits.

Then one Night about 2 years ago I walked into a restaurant with some friends and saw that they had a fantastic 180 gal tank, I got lucky enough to be seated close to it, and spent the next hour looking at the Tank in a trance, I could feel the urges building, then one of my friends said "hey I remember your Tank", it was smaller but was much nicer looking than this one, and he started telling the other people at the table about my old Tank, the more I heard the more I needed to get back another tank, well it took about 1 year after that encounter to swing it with the wife and the Wallet but I am back, and one day you will be back.
Old 07/19/2006, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Bah Carlos, I don't belive it I saw the look on your face weekly for a few years, it was true "coral passion" . Definitly take a break if you need to, but remember, we're always here to come back to. Heck, I'll kick down a feed/frag package if and when you decide to return.
Old 07/19/2006, 07:22 PM
Madrepore Zealot

Cool post Robby.

ChAoTiCrEeFeR4U, you ever do time in Lemoore? I lived there for 7 years when I was in my 20's. Awesome. I snow skied and surfed in the same day!

Keep your rock whatever you decide.

Charles
Old 07/19/2006, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Charles, Carlos works in the prison system, he's not in "the system"
Old 07/19/2006, 08:01 PM
Madrepore Zealot

HS - It does read like I'm looking for a cell mate---No worries there mates!

Ca recruits heavily from the Armed Forces when folks get out of the service for the corrections field. I was only wondering if he was a squid at NAS Lemoore.

Jambo Gresham!
Old 07/19/2006, 09:46 PM

haaaaaaa, you guy's are frickin hilarious and very cool, love you all, peace...
Old 07/19/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

F that stuff. Get a nano. Shake it off, buddy.