Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Capital District Marine Aquarist Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2006, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

pushing my luck?

ok as i have been working extra to add to the yatch fund. this is the one i want
anyways i have also neglected my tank. I have been keeping dosing up and top off but water changes have been forgotten. its been about 1 month 26 days. now no deaths have occured. corals still appear happy. although growth has stopped and the lps arent blowing up as much. but honestly they r all fine. the only thing i see is my lps not blowing up but still maintaning size . what i mean is the occational mid day swell up that happens after water changes . but really thats it. oh yeah also my clowns stopped laying eggs. but are behaving just fine.
anyways just wanted to here what you thing about this neglect .having a small 55 gallon stocked full with coral ,light load of fish, 30 sump/scrubber, i feel im lucky that things are effiecently cleaning but can this be repeated over and over? the macro is as green as it can get...luving the trates i guess. also i have a deco clam in the sump any ideas if he consumes trates?
Old 06/27/2006, 09:02 PM
CDMAS Member

nice boat....
Old 06/27/2006, 09:06 PM
CDMAS

I have also neglected water changes. My Evap is around 1 1/2-2 gallons a day. I will soon be adding an ATO controller. Everything looks healty and normal. Has only been 3 weeks or so since last water change.

Also curious what everyone thinks of reduced water changes with increased Evaporation? I still dose, reef builder, ESV and ph buffer. I plan on doing a 40% water change this week.
Old 06/27/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

David...what will you name your boat?
Old 06/27/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

the boat will be named maria after my mother.
lakeside im on week 7 and 1/2 since a water change.
Old 06/27/2006, 09:57 PM
Moved On

LOL.... my record is 9 months, only because I didn't want to push it anymore.

You guys got a ways to go for "ZEN REEFING"......
Old 06/27/2006, 10:19 PM
CDMAS

I notice my shrooms smaller in size then they use to be. Not openning/spreading out as much. Frogspawn looks fine, Zoo's look great, Star polyps look fine. Button polyps look good.

Just my good size shroom rock, red with purple dots isn't looking the greatest. Has around 20 polyps. I also have not tested the water in sometime. Summer neglect. Fish look great.

I did get my new 6 stage RO/DI I'll hook it up this weekend. Things should improve from here on out.
Old 06/28/2006, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

Dude, I am the king of tank neglect, well maybe next to Espi.

I have a large water volume and I think my system is designed fairly well, so I can get away with it. However, as I mentioned in my other thread, the acros are the exception to me "getting away with it".

You mentioned that you plan on focusing more on acros, so keep that in mind.
Old 06/30/2006, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

vin thats really what i was speaking of. i guess im getting more comfortable neglecting water changes cause nothing suffers ,system fits my feeding stock..etc....but i really think my acro ventuer wont hold up to this neglect. heck now its close to 2 months...meant to do one today but didnt as ussual. everything lookin good. lps not shrinking at all. ill keep all posted cause i work all weekend so no water change until monday and even then it will be the 4th so i may push it aside.lol