Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2006, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Dedicated circuit for the aquarium?

Okay I have an electrical question here, first off I want to run a line in my basement specifically for two receptacles to power my aquarium equipment. The problem is that I don't have an open spot in my service panel. With that said can I replace a single 15 amp breaker with a double 15 amp breaker to supply this additional line with power/protection? The reason I want a dedicated line is to eliminate the stereo/TV, electric space heater, and aquarium equipment being on the same circuit. So basically, is adding a double 15 amp breaker allow me to add a line without having to buy a bigger service panel?

Come on I know there are some electrical guru's out there!
Old 06/20/2006, 08:09 AM
Proud father!

I'm by no means a registered electrician, etc etc so take this for what it's worth.

When I investigated putting in split 15 amp breakers I was advised by an electrician friend that it's best to use the split breakers for circuits you know will have "occasional' loads. For example, a bedroom, hallways, etc. The split breakers can apparently heat up a bit from large continual loads like an aquarium.

In my case with a near-full breaker box I freed up some room two ways:
1) Ran a 60 amp subpanel to the other side of the basement; this gave me PLENTY of room and I've already run another aquarium circuit off it.
2) Combined a few lower demand circuits (washer and freezer in laundry room had separate circuits) into a double breaker. Using the freed up space I put in a 15 amp full size breaker for my aquarium circuit.

Hope that gives you some ideas...
Old 06/20/2006, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Hmmmmm....I can see if I can combine some lower demand circuits. Actually, I think I can, the sump pump I know has a single 15 amp breaker and another item. I am now sure what the other dedicated 15 amp is right off the top of head. Thanks for the idea.

Anyone else?
Old 06/20/2006, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

I consolidated as suggested above and ran a 220/40A feed to a subpanel in the garage to run my tanks, tablesaw to build the latest tanks, and another fridge so I can enjoy a beer while watching the tanks.

This worked for us...
Old 06/20/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

You could consider adding a subpanel off the main panel. In other words a mini breaker panel. This would allow you to get more slots to add circuits.
Old 06/20/2006, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

You can buy piggybacks .. I quess thats what you mean by double .. Piggy backs work fine. I dont really like them but they are safe to use.. But I agree I would not run them at max 8 hours a day.. But you could move two of your less used circuits onto a piggy back and move the tank wire to the now empty single 15 amp breaker.. This would be the simplest way and still very safe.

FWIW I had about 5 piggybacks in my panel for several years.. Never had anyproblems with them.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 06/20/2006, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Just a question...why a 15A breaker instead of a 20A breaker for a dedicated tank circuit?

- Michael
66 qt rubbermaid sump
Old 06/21/2006, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Update, I was able to move some circuits around and got a 20 amp dedicated breaker now for the tank.
Old 06/21/2006, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Cool...as a fellow co-worker would say, "when in doubt, make it stout!!!"

- Michael
66 qt rubbermaid sump
Old 06/21/2006, 10:37 AM
30 year and over club

I am an electrician (almost 40 years) You can put those mini or pigyback breakers anywhere. They are rated like full size breakers and can be run the same as any breaker. You just can't run both new lines off one of them because you need two phases. It is a little complicated but you can use them and get someone who knows what he is doing to move a couple of wires around in the panel for you. If you want to do it yourself and you think you can do it without getting electrocuted then you can do it two ways. One is to use 4 wire romex, (with a ground) BX or use pipe and run one line from each part of the minibreaker and use a seperate neutral for each circuit. The other way is to use one neutral for the both circuits in the same romex but then you will have to move around some wires in the panel to get both circuits on different phases.
I did say it is a little complicated. Someone could draw a diagram for you to make it simple.
Be careful.
Paul
Old 06/21/2006, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

hey paul B, I think you get the longevity award for longest running tank !! wow
Old 06/21/2006, 01:23 PM
Real Cool Guy

I had a electrician install 2 - 20 amp circuits for my 240 gallon tank. He figured up all of the pumps and lights and chiller and almost thought I should add one more.
Old 06/21/2006, 07:19 PM
30 year and over club

Sullyfish, thats because I'm old.
Old 06/21/2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with a full panel. I ran a piggyback 20 Amp circuit - one services the tank and the other a misc appliance outlet that is rarely used that was already at 20 amp. On the ciruit going to the tank, I installed a recept before the 20 Amp GFI recept. That way if the GFI ever trips, I have a powerhead that is always plugged in to the 'upstream' recept that is circulating water.

Next project, subpanel for the garage and power tools....