Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/14/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Top off water

I was told that it was fine to use "Brita" filtered tap water for top off. Is this true? I do not have an RO filter and do not want to keep running op to the store. Let me know.
Thanks,
jdwhit
Old 06/14/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Well IMO anykind of filter is better than no filter. You may have algae problems though depending on your tap water. I would invest in an ro/di unit will save you the running to the store and it will deff pay for it self in time.
Old 06/14/2006, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

I puchased a Whirlpool RO system from Home Depot and it's been working great. The pro to this system is that it only produces 5 gpd. I mounted it behind our refrigerator and it supplies the drinking water and then I T'd it directly to a float valve in my refugium, so I'm not too worried that I'll flood the refugium. It gives me peace-of-mind that the water level is always on and the water quality is excellent. It's been running now for 6 months (time to change the filters and membrane) very successfully. I still do monthly 10% water changes with LFS (thanks Marvin) premix.
Old 06/14/2006, 08:08 PM
Moved On

i recomend you dont listen to who ever told you that britta thing lol

sure you CAN but its no where near the quality.. oyu will definitly have probloms.. imo might as well use straight tap water if all your gonna filter it throu is a britta
Old 06/14/2006, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

The britta will likely be adding things too the water in addition to taking some things out. I'd be worried about chlorine making it through. I'd use straight tap water that is either left to sit for a couple of days to get the chlorine out or is treated with something like Seachem Prime to dechlorinate it. Like Goda says, you could be introducing phosphates and other undesirables to the tank using plain old tap water. It really depends on the quality of the water in your location.

Jack
Old 06/14/2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Brita water, Is water that has been run through a 100 mircon filter and a little bit of carbon. Carbon actually Releases P04 (Phosphates) back into the water. To keep your animals alive and healthy You will need at least a Bare-Bones R/O unit. Do yourself a favor and save up to get a R/O unit ASAP!

Thanks
Aaron
Old 06/14/2006, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

FYI, i found my basic 5 stage RO/DI system for less than 100$ shipped on ebay. Its billed as a 100g a day system but it is more like a 50g a day system, but that's ok, i dont need a bunch of water all at once and the price was nice. It has a DOW labled RO filter so i know it is a quality unit, it is just from China....
Old 06/14/2006, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

not to mention how quickly you would exhust your brita. Not sure how big your tank is. But I am guessing after a few water changes, it would be worthless...