Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/23/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

new 12g aquapod have ??????

I am getting ready to set up a 12gal nano and I have read that it is better to go with natural filtration is that true? If so what is the best way to do that, do I really need to cut out pieces of my filtration? I have been doing saltwater for four years now and this is my first attempt at a reef aquarium. I have also heard that nano reefs are harder than others, is that true? Please help the lost and confused.
Old 05/23/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Nano reefs are harder than larger aquariums due to the fact that the chemical flucuation will be more rapid in a nano than in a larger. Example a fish dies in a 65g yes it will raise the nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites, but it won't raise the chemicals as fast because of the larger amount of water in the tank. Natural filtration is ok there is a space where you can place a small light over the back filtration part and make your own refugium, but filtration is for you to decide, I got my mom a nano skimmer works ok I have been dosing her tank with prodibio as well.
Old 05/24/2006, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

Re: new 12g aquapod have ??????

Quote:
Originally posted by kendi
I am getting ready to set up a 12gal nano and I have read that it is better to go with natural filtration is that true? If so what is the best way to do that, do I really need to cut out pieces of my filtration? I have been doing saltwater for four years now and this is my first attempt at a reef aquarium. I have also heard that nano reefs are harder than others, is that true? Please help the lost and confused.
if your asking these types of questions, you should do more research b4 attempting a reef setup.
Old 05/31/2006, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

I think thats what this person is trying to do.
Old 06/02/2006, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Trib
I think thats what this person is trying to do.
i digress. search function...
Old 06/02/2006, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

to bad when i run a search function i get a bandwith warning.
Old 06/02/2006, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

I run a combo of rock filtration and mechanical/chemical.

I have a good amount of rock in the display, phosban and purigen bags in one section, a chunk of the original filter material, small pieces of rock and chaeto and a big maxijet on the other end.

Seems to work pretty good. I have 3 fish and lots of corals so it is a decent bioload
Old 06/02/2006, 07:39 PM
ostensibly normal

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "natural filtration" but here are some suggestions:

Using 1-1.5 lbs/gal of live rock is a good idea in any tank, but especially in a reef tank, and super-especially in a nano tank.

If you use this, you won't need the bio-balls or sponges that come with your tank. You often hear these referred to as "nitrate factories" because they can trap detritus and uneaten food and allow these to break down to nitrates.

I do keep one of the sponges in my 12g nanocube, but only as mechanical filtration, and I rinse it out 3x per week.

Other forms of natural filtration that are very helpful can include a protein skimmer (which is great but harder to use with an all-in-one type nano) and growing macroalgae in a refugium (which is fairly easy to do in a nanocube by adding lighting to the 2nd chamber).
Old 06/03/2006, 12:29 AM
Mon Calimari Jedi Knight

I think most of us who run aquapods or nanocubes completely remove the stock filtration and just fill up one of the chambers with LR rubble and I personally filled my second chamber in my 12g NC with chaeto. I would use the natural filtration so you don't have to keep cleaning out those stupid sponges.