Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/20/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

New 210g - Portugal

Hi there,

I currently hold a 55 gal at home

and a nano in the office

I´m moving into a new home, which means, of course, a new aquarium

The set-up of the system is the following (hope to get the conversions right):

1 -Display
In-wall with 79"x 21"x 29" (200x55x73cms)

Lights
4x150w HQI (10.000k) + 3x80w T5 (1 of 6.500K e 2 of 20.000 k)

Circulation
Tunze Turbelle kit TS24: 2 x Turbelle 6100 (4 to 12.000 lts/h - 1056g to 3160g) connected with multiciontrolar 7095
Return pump with 8 inflows

Sugarsize Sand bed with 1 to 2"

2- Sump
53"x20x15 (135x50x40cms)
Return pump (to be tested, may be replaced) Pentair quiet one - 6.000 lts/h (1585g)

3- Refugium (above the display)
26 gal
DSB sugarsize - 6 to 7"
Macroalgae: Chaetomorpha (+ Gracillaria, if I can get it)

Live rock: around 440lb (200 kgs)

Heating/cooling: 3 x 300w Jägger / A/C of 9.000 BTU´s

Skimmer: Schuran Jetskim 200

Kalkstirrer: Deltec KM 500, with peristaltic pump Knop 2,8

Calcium reactor: Schuran Jetstream 1

4 - Q.Tank
24 gal

Some photos:

The works

Old 04/20/2006, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

The outcome

Collecting 240 gal of natural water (2 trips)

This weekend hope I´ll finish the pipework and fill it in.
In the end of May will have to move my stock from my old aquarium.

Feel free to comment

Regards
João
Old 04/20/2006, 10:11 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Looks great. Love the tank room - very neat! So are you going to use natural sea water all the time? If I was you I'd leave out the macro on the new system. Planted systems belong in the fresh water world.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 04/20/2006, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Hi there, NexDog

How is your tank doing? Looked great last time I saw it

I´ve been using natural water for many years but I´m not shure I´ll use it all the time in the new tank.

It´s going to be filled up with natural, but in the future... I don´t know.
To carry home 2 jerrycans of 10gal every 15 days assuring 2 weekly water changes of 10% is ok, but carrying 6 is another story.
I´m not that young anymore and my back complains...

I´m not planning to use macro in the new display (except, perhaps, halimeda). I do like planted saltwater systems, but in a big aquarium...its too much work keeping them under control
Old 04/20/2006, 12:10 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Tank is coming along slowly but surely. I have 10 nice acro colonies in there and some LPS and 15 fish as of this weekend. But I'm going to slow down a bit and let things stabilise.

Looking forward to seeing uopdates to this thread.

Old 04/25/2006, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Hi there, I´m back with some new photos,

The basic equipment is already working (except lights).

The layout is pratically done. Some of the LR of my present tank (but only the part that has corals attached) to be added.

Photos taken with 2 T8 tubes of 40w:

From left to right:

1. the wall

2. "The Bay"

3. The SPS hill - (note that the skull is watching...)

4. The BTA isle

5. The Cliff

A "soup" from the DSB of my old tank
Old 04/25/2006, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

And now, backstage:

Kalkstirrer (Deltec KM 500)

Discharge of the refugium (grey) and the kalkstirrer in the centre of the display

Skimmer- Schuran Jetskim 200

The sump

And finally the Tunze multicontroller

Hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment
Old 04/25/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Love the refugium above the tank. Nice progress!
3 x phoenix 14K on icecap ballasts
H&S A150-2001 skimmer
2 x Tunze 6200/multicontroller/wavebox
Old 04/26/2006, 12:13 AM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Great aquascaping! I can't wait to see it fully stocked. Keep us posted.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 04/26/2006, 12:26 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Love the aquascaping.

What fish are going in there?

Old 04/26/2006, 04:28 AM
Registered Member

That´s a very good question...

I don´t have a closed stock list, but:
(don´t know most of the names in English)

-My current ones (all 3 years old) ´

.Zebrassoma Flavescens (YT);
.Premnas biaculeatus - female (Maroon clown?);
.Centropyge loriculus (flame angel ?)
. Crisyptera hemicyanea (yellow tail blue damsel)

- To buy in day 1:

. Premnas (male)
It has to go in the new tank at the same time the female does or she´ll kill him.

- To buy later

- 5 Anthias (bartlet or squamipinis)
- 5 Chromis viridis
- Naso lituratus
- A. Achilles or Sohal
- Cnetochaetus hawaiiensis

and...

the big question:

A Pomnacanthus imperator or... brain coral (trachyphillia, lobophillia, cataphyllia, etc, etc, )
I like them both a lot, but will have to choose.
Old 04/26/2006, 04:53 AM
Fiddles With Reef

I have an Imperator. I have a brain coral too. He nips at it sometimes but it's okay. I'm conssidering a Chevron Tang (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) but they are so bland when they reach adult.....

Old 05/07/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Nice
Old 05/08/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

An update with this weekend´s work:

To warm-up, a water change of 25 G.

Then, the works began: lighting, 1st part of the cleaning crew and the start-up of the refugium

I confess that photos were not my priority, but I still took a few:

The 4 HQI (MH) of 150w - 10.000k

The total combination of the lights: the 4 HQI + 1 T5 80w of 6.500k + 2 T5 80W of 20.000k. Refugium with 2 T8 of 18w (not yet adjusted in the photo)

Start-up of the fuge: Chaetomorpha and 2 LR taken from the bottom of my old tank

Cleaning crew: 50 nassarius; 35 certihes, 30 white legs, 30 green legs.
Yet to come 7 Lysmata seticaudata (Monaco shrimps) and what´s left in my old tank (some nassarius, hermits, ceriths, turbo´s, etc.).

Right after being released in the tank: GERONIMOOOO !!!!

And the final result:

That´s all folks ! :sbSourirb
Old 05/08/2006, 02:37 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
Looks awsome so far!

Keep it up.
I like how you used the seawater. I dont think I've seen that too often
Old 05/08/2006, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Cool Cleanin crew

Hey there nice tank u got going there. Im goin to start my first one this summer actualy. Your cleaning crew did u catch them urself or buy them? I can catch those in the river. Would it be possible for me to put it in the tank? The river is brakish meening fresh and saltwater mix
Old 05/09/2006, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Tks

TriniReefer
I bought most of the cleaning crew but its not difficult to catch them (at least the hermits and nass) here in Portugal.
As regards the river cleaning crew, I think that if you acclimatize them slowly, it might be ok. But I would also quarantine them for a month, or so.
Old 05/09/2006, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Joao,

Como estas patricio. Saudacoes do Brasil!
Sou brasileiro e tambem cidadao portugues!

In regards of Imperator - or any other large angel - and brains and other meat corals I don't think its a good option
I have a Regal angel and I'm thinking seriously in a juvenille Imperator, but my experience with Regal and meat corals aren't one of the best.
After several months living together without any picking at the corals the regal started to eat a large lime green scolymia that i had. I need to put an eggcrate box to protec teh coral but my small ocellearis started to try it as a home. Some months later I lost the coral because of the clown.
After that, the regal started to pick at my red open brain. I choose the fish and sold the coral to a friend.

The Regal angel also started do pick at my large trumpet, but I don't know why he/she stoped to pick at the coral some weeks after he started.

Very beautiful tank you're setting up. Congratulations!

Regards,

marcelo.
Old 05/10/2006, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Olá Marcelo,

É excelente poder escrever em português, por aqui, de vez em quando !
Grande abraço

Thanks for your kind words.

For me the issue is clear: an Angel vs brains, other meaty LPS corals and clams.

I´m choosing the Angel. Imperator, E. Navarchus, Pygoplites diacanthus (Regal ?) or Arusetta asfur. Possibly the imperator, but I´m not 100% sure yet.

Anyway I´ll wait for a year or so. It will be the possibly by the last fish to go in.

Regards
João
Old 05/10/2006, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Ola Joao,

Com certeza, mas nao vamos fugir do idioma oficila do Forum!

Not so clear instead, you can have an angel with corals (meat or not) and clams. I have some unusual fish (Harlequin Tusk - Choerodon fasciatus, Regal Angel - Pygoplites diacanthus and a female Genicanthus melanospilos).

I had a large derasa clam with both angels without any issue until I lost it due to an accident with a fan (droped running in the water).

If your option is the Regal put it as one of the first fishes. It's usually non agressive and can have adaptation problems if intorduced after other more agressive fishes.
IMO/ME Regals are really "shy" fish for the first months. Mine (20 months) are still a little reserved.

Juvenille Imperators are awesome fishes. Them and the Regal angel are my favourites!

Regards,

Marcelo.
Old 05/10/2006, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Hi again, Marcelo

Interesting list of fishes you have there.

Harlequin Tusk - I really like a lot. Don´t think would be a problem with corals, but I believe would be no room for shrimps and difficults times for the rest of the cleaning crew. Or am I wrong ? I would be very interested to have one, but..

Clams - I already had problems with my flame angel (centropyge loriculus) with a derasa. So I supposed would get worst with a big Angel...

Genicanthus - I think are the (only ?) really "reef safe" of all angels

My ideia was to wait for a while before introducing the Angel, giving the tank and corals some time to mature and grow. The decision between the 4 listed above is not easy... will depend a lot on seeing a good individual in a reliable LFS.

But I won´t trust having some LPS (all kind of brains at least) with these guys. I´ve either seen, heard or read to many bad experiences to go for it. It´s an expensive meal for my pocket...Same goes for adult P. hepatus (Hyppo tang ?).
Old 05/10/2006, 11:28 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Like I mentioned, I have an Emp that picks on a brain occasionally. I have a biggish Regal in QT now (3-4") and it's only eating nori on a clip. These fish aren't notorious SPS nibblers but of course some will. But even then it might be one acro out of 10. These fish like meaty LPS for sure but only to pick on a bit by the looks of it. If nibbling on a brain or two keeps them happy and if the fish nibble on one acro out of 10 then it's a small price for keeping such beautiful fish. These fish enticed me into this hobby and it's a price I'm more than willing to pay.

Old 05/11/2006, 04:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
If nibbling on a brain or two keeps them happy and if the fish nibble on one acro out of 10 then it's a small price for keeping such beautiful fish. These fish enticed me into this hobby and it's a price I'm more than willing to pay.
Hi there Laurence,

If it´s only that...I´ll gladly pay it too !
Old 05/11/2006, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I like my fishes a lot and they are my main objective in the hobby. It will limit my coral choices but I think in corals as a natural scenario/background to the fishes.

Quote:
Harlequin Tusk - I really like a lot. Don´t think would be a problem with corals, but I believe would be no room for shrimps and difficults times for the rest of the cleaning crew. Or am I wrong ? I would be very interested to have one, but..
Not the most beautiful fish in the oceans IMO, but it has an unique appearance with a tiger-like pattern, blue teeths and vivid colors. It's "curious" behaviour and always on swimming mode are a must too. It's so different that anyone looking at tank ask note the tusk and usually ask me about the fish.

In my experience behaviour of Harelquin Tusk are difficult to define. Definitively it's coral safe, except for the ones it drops or move searching for food. Not a problem if you fix your corals as recomended (what i usually don't do with my sps frags :O)). I don't think clams could be a problem at all. Even my feather dusters aren't bothered.

don't have shrimps now, but i'm pretty sure stenopus (coral banded shrimp) won't be a problem. I'll try a cleaner (large one) but i'm but I'm very apprehensive.
My tusk attacked and killed a small longnoose hawk (Oxycirrhites typus) when they are in QT but don't touch my small fishes (firefishes, ocellaris clowns (one very small) and watchman goby). I think it saw the hawk was a shrimp because of swiming behaviour and appearence of the hawkfish or maybe tusk recognized it as another crustacean eater and killed it to avoid another fish in the same niche.

I dind't see my tusk going after my heremits and snails until now and their number appears to decrease in a normal way. I now I have in my tank a mantis/pistol shirmp and sometimes I can found the rests of a heremit crab floating around. My tusk tried to kill the mantis/pistol sometimes, but it's usually deep inside the rocks.
Thats' not a big problem cause I live near ocean and I can collect my cleanup crew. Instead, it's a pleasure and I already need to dive in beach near my house 3 to 4 times a year to collect some sponges to my Regal Angel.

Even if i need to buy my clean-up crew I think it's a minor problem.

Quote:
Clams - I already had problems with my flame angel (centropyge loriculus) with a derasa. So I supposed would get worst with a big Angel...
Depends on species and flame angels are notorious to pick on clams. My option to harlequin tusk is because of flame angel problems with clams and corals. They usually pick on SPS polyps too.

Quote:
Genicanthus - I think are the (only ?) really "reef safe" of all angels
Mine never touched anything, but i read some stories about lamarcks that killed a plate coral and open brains.
They are my best bet as reefsafe angels. Unfortunately they are not as beautiful as large angels or some Centropyges.
I'm trying to find another female to make a pair with mine.

Quote:
My ideia was to wait for a while before introducing the Angel, giving the tank and corals some time to mature and grow. The decision between the 4 listed above is not easy... will depend a lot on seeing a good individual in a reliable LFS.
Probably the marine ornamentals market in Protugal is similar to our local market. Very small compared with north american and asian markets. Organisms and equipment are usually four times expensive too.
I have access to the largest importers in Latin America (all in Brazil) and needed to wait 6 months to get a Red Sea Regal Angel the size I want. Only two of our local importes take fishes from Red Sea, but in Europe the things must be different.

Quote:
But I won´t trust having some LPS (all kind of brains at least) with these guys. I´ve either seen, heard or read to many bad experiences to go for it. It´s an expensive meal for my pocket...Same goes for adult P. hepatus (Hyppo tang ?).
I totally agree, meat LPS are at very high risk. Best avoid them.

IMO Hepatus are less reefsafe with LPS than some large angels (Regal, Emperor, Majestic...) My Regal now ignores a very large trumpet I have but I gave a frag to a friend and their hepatus destroyed it in minutes.

Regards,

Marcelo.
Old 05/11/2006, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Tks for all that info Marcelo. I really appreciated it.

The idea of having a Tusk is increasing... still, I´ve read that when they reach adulthood they become much more agressive to small fishes. That might also be a problem since I´ll have two (mini) schools (5 to 7), one of Chromis viridis and one of Lyretail Anthias. How big is yours ?

It also has a lot to do with luck in getting the right individual.

To give ou an example, last year my Yellow tang started to like to eat the shrimps antennas. I lost a stenopus (!) and 2 cleaner shrimps (L. amboinensis) because of that !

Speaking of Angels, what about the Arusetta asfur ? Do you have any info on their (usual) behavior with corals ? Similar to Emperors, Regal, Majestic and ...Xanthometopon (English name ? Masked face ?) or worse ?