Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2006, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Critter ID please

Hoping I could get an ID on this guy. I was feeding DT's Phytoplankton and this creature happened to be in the water column nearby. Apparently it was interested in the food source because it began to wig out, which is what caught my attention.

Old 04/12/2006, 12:20 AM
Team RC Member

Hesionidae, by the short body, but I'm not sure re bristles v legs, and I find absolutely no info on behavior.
Try http://saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/inverts

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 04/12/2006, 01:01 AM
Invert Addict

WAs it vibrating rapidly as it swam?
Old 04/12/2006, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

I observed 3 distinct behaviors. The first, and the one that caught my attention was a twirlling-spinning-corkscrew like movement. This seem to propel it forward. The second was that it competely froze and began to drift in the currents of the tank, back and forth etc. Finally, at one point landed on the glass and made worm like movements, only to release from the glass and beginning the twirling cork-screw movements again.
Old 04/14/2006, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Still no id on this one...
Old 04/14/2006, 10:39 AM
Invert Addict

Thanks for the comments on it's behavior. That tells me it's the epitoke of a syllid polychaete worm on a spawning swim. At some point it would have burst open releasing the eggs or sperm it was carrying. Unless you have both males & females you don't have to worry about a population explosion.
Old 04/16/2006, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response LeslieH.

Actually, I do have a rather large population of small worms throughout the tank. They currently inhabit the sandbed building tubes from the substrate, as well as borrowed into the live rock. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Would you review some pictures of these worms for me?

-MDoug
Old 04/16/2006, 09:13 PM
Invert Addict

Probably not. I can't be sure without actually seeing the worms but if they're small worms in the sediment they're either eating detritus or other small organisms. I'd be happy to look at images. You can either post them here or send them to me via PM. Just have the worms fully submerged in water so all the appendages can be seen clearly.