Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2006, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Amblygobius rainfordi

Hey everyone I really like this species and when I get my 55 setup, I will def. have one! If it's possible i'd like to see some pics of your Rainfords! Thanks guys
Old 04/02/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

These guys are hard to keep. They rarely take anything but live foods and need tanks with a lot of algae growth to survive.
Old 04/03/2006, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

I kept a Hector's goby for a couple of months and it is very similar to the Rainford's goby. Mine was in a 55g with plenty of micro and macro algae along with daily feedings of seaweed selects. Mine eventually died due to starvation and he would not take any prepared foods. Mine was also very timid and would not go near any of my other fish. They are beautiful fish, but may it may be difficult to get one eating well. It is good that you are doing research into keeping them. Maybe some people that have had success in keeping them will post what has worked for them.
Old 04/03/2006, 12:23 PM
Really Good Fisherman

I had one for about 2 years in my 215. Never ate any prepared food - just grazed on algae , pods etc - did see him eat cerith snail eggs on a few occasions. Dissapeared sadly - I think predator brittle star (since removed) got him - too bad he was really a healthy and beautiful little fish.
Old 04/03/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I am also interested in experiences keeping this fish. Please keep posting.

Thanks!

-Mdoug
Old 04/03/2006, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

I have had one since July. He has never taken any food I have offered. Flake, blender mush with mysis, clams, octo, nori, mussels, brine shrimp, etc etc. No live brine either. He just sifts the sand, constantly. He never picks at the rocks, glass etc, etc. He's healthy though, so whatever he is eating, my sand has it

Patrick
Old 04/03/2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I had 2 hectori and 2 rainfordi before... They rarely take prepared food... Only sometime... most of the times, they are grazing ard and pecking on LR and micro algaes...
Old 04/03/2006, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I had a rainsford for 2years. It was a great fish that after a few months ate everything: flake, mysis and cyclopeeze. The key to getting it to eat was garlic in the food, also get one from australlia as they are not as shy and they tend to eat prepared food more often (they look the same). Unfortunately after a while the fish started killing my corals on the sandbed as it would bury them in sand, I would never get this fish again unless I had a barebottom tank. Only problem with that is it gets most of its food from the sand (pods, etc). Other than the sand sifting, this fish was an excellent fish, too bad i had to give it away because it killed a few of my corals.