Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2006, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

firm believer of filter sock!

I have always believe and read that a free flowing reef tank is a better choice vs one with use of filter sock. After 2 years of very high matainence schedule with water change, cleaning algae off the glass....etc..etc, I decided to try a filter sock. My only means of filtration at the time was my skimmer and water change. After using it for about 2 weeks, I am a firm believer of using it. I change the filter sock about twice a week and notice a big difference is water clarity, much less algae (I only clean it once a week vs 2-3 times a week) and my fuge stays very clean. I should of done this a long time ago and would of save me a lot work!
Old 03/16/2006, 01:23 PM
Mortar Target

I can only give kudos that do not use a filter sock and maintain excellent water clarity. Like you, my setup requires a filter sock to get to that point, but nonetheless it certainly looks a lot nicer. I try not to run them 24/7. I put one on, blow out the rock with a power head and remove it about 2 days later. I then leave it off for a few days so the fuge gets some raw water. Eventually, the sock goes back on.
Old 03/16/2006, 01:41 PM
Why do I live in IL?

I run a sock 24/7. Like you I had tried to not use one for a while but there is simply no way to get rid of all the large particles floating around the tank. Even if your nutrients are low, you still have stuf floating around which blocks alot of light and looks like crap. Ever since running carbon and a filter sock I will never look back.
Old 03/16/2006, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

what socks do you guys use and where is the best place to order them from.
Old 03/16/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Socks are great. My tank is crystal clear and you can't believe the junk in the sock after only a few days. R
Old 03/16/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

The socks you want to use for trapping small particles of debris is a 100 Micron filter sock.

You can get them at your LFS or here....http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...?N=2004+113809
Or here....http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ck.asp?CartId=
Or here....http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...egory_Code=GFI
Old 03/16/2006, 02:04 PM
Generic Member

Same here.
My first sump was just a 20H aquarium without baffles. I had to use a filter sock to control microbubbles. I always looked forward to the day when I had a better sump and didn't need the sock any longer.

Now I run a 40G sump with baffles and went back to running a sock
keeps water cleaner
dampens noise
great at microbubble reduction.
Old 03/16/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Well, I have a small sump where I use a HOB skimmer. When I wasn't using a filter sock water entering to the sump creates a lot of turbulances and bubbles, therefore I believe it hinders my skimmers skimmate production. Now the filter sock takes all splashing and bubbles away leaving my sump at a very 'calm' state and my skimmer has improve substantially in skimmate production. No more dry salts from splashes and kept my interior of my cabinet very clean. I love it! Oh and I use the felt type 100 micron.
Old 03/16/2006, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

filterbag.com best prices
Old 03/19/2006, 08:58 PM
10 & Over Club

Do you reuse the socks? If yes, how are you cleaning them ?

Curious as I plan on using them for during/after tank cleaning and would like to reuse if possible.

thanks.
Old 03/19/2006, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

to clean them you just throw them in the washing machine with a tiny bit of bleach or none at all. I've washed each of mine probably 30 times and they still look brand new
Old 03/19/2006, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

If one thinks in terms of mechanical and biological filtration, the filter sock is second in line of the mechanical, (second only to high flow stirring up the particles first), followed by the skimmer which takes out the fine particulate. Its easier to scoop out the big stuff first, and let the skimmer do its job on the smaller later on.

It on my mind lately to change them more often, rather than when the water gets to the top, because I think of all of that crud in the sock still producing waste into the water collumn.
Old 03/19/2006, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I also just started using some filter socks and will also say that the work great.
Old 04/02/2006, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

what size would you guys reccommend to also catch microbubbles?
Old 04/02/2006, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

I also agree with what most of you have said. And like old salty - kudos to those who don't use them and still keep their tanks clean. I second www.filterbag.com (click on applications then on aquariums) it will give you the type and micron size most commonly used; you can then get different lengths and diameters. I just wash them in the machine on gentle with no bleach.

eee
Old 04/02/2006, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

For those of you that use the filter socks don't they also catch a lot of pods and critters? Change socks two or three times a week?
Old 04/02/2006, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

dwsindy, I was thinking the same thing. I would think that a lot of critters would get caught in the sock. It's hard enough to keep enough of those critters without catching them in a sock.

What is the thought on this?

Regards,

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 04/02/2006, 10:14 PM
It Aint Easy

Do you run your filter socks fully submerged or above the water line hanging? Does it matter?
Old 04/03/2006, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

About pods and critters - yes you will catch some pods, etc in the sock. If you are totally opposed to doing this (i.e. not allowing the pods to be able to get from the display to refugium and also from back up to the display) remember your return pump can be chopping them up too. But if you did want to use the sock and are still concerned about this, you may leave the sock off for periods of time to prevent this.

eee
Old 04/03/2006, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by algundo
Do you run your filter socks fully submerged or above the water line hanging? Does it matter?
I run the sock about 80% submerged. If you run it completely above you will probably get micro-bubbles. I think most run their input hose submerged also, but I run mine above the water level with it pointed at the part of the sock above the water line. This seems to be the most quiet method for me.

eee
Old 04/03/2006, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Outside of the bleach, can you use any form of laundry detergent to get them clean? I have two on order.

Cheers
Old 04/03/2006, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

I don't use bleach or detergent. Just water, they come out fine for me.

eee
Old 04/03/2006, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

I rarely find pods in mine, but I do find some mini stars that I pick out and place around my tank
Old 04/03/2006, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pyro383
I rarely find pods in mine, but I do find some mini stars that I pick out and place around my tank
Same here, I do find those tiny snails too.

eee
Old 04/03/2006, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

I use the 25 micron socks from filterbag.com I got the kind with a plastic ring on the end. I have a 6 inch pvc coupling that i use to hold the socks. I change them out every day. It takes all of 20 seconds, and it doesn't allow stuff to rot in the sock for days.

Brad