Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/25/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

compatible anemones?

There is many enemonies I would love to have, but I am scared that they may not be compatible with the other inhabitants and may eat them.

Most worringly I want to find an anemone which is safe for Mandarin dragonets to swim around, one which wont catch and eat them due to their slow movements.

If anyone could give me a list of reasonable anemones which wont be too much of a threat to mandarins and other fish, yet makes a nice host to clowns please tell me.

I was personally thinking of getting a Heteractis magnifica (i love their colours and anatomy) but i have no idea how big they will grow to or how they deal with fish like the mandarin.
Old 02/25/2006, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

I was told today that a Sebae was friendly to other fish and clowns love them...
Old 02/25/2006, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Might want to also post in this forum.
Anemones & Clownfish

It's strictly for Anemones & Clownfish.
Old 02/25/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

before you just decide you want to keep an anemone do you have proper lighting. IMAO No anemone is safe. I work a LFS and that is exactly what i would tell you. If ou want an anemone that is least to move around tube anemone is wonderful choice. Clowns dont just host in anemones they host in a variety of coral.
Old 02/25/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

To keep a magnificent anenome you need at least a 500 gallon tank, and they eat fish the size of herring!
If you don't believe me ill post like 3 or 4 sources that say this.
I would try a small bubble tip anenome, i have one in a tank with a mandrian, although it is a small anenome and a huge mandrian.

-Kyle