Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/12/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

wishing people were more honest...

as a group of people, most reefers are the most honest people I know... and trust... but yesterday shook my faith...

I brought koden his orange ric that I needed to give him for months and a large frag of teal zoos and a a even larger piece of true blue zoos for Jim sar, I put the cooler on a seat and helped sort out the tables, went back for the cooler and it was stuffed under a seat and one of the zoos were missing along with kodens ric, of course no one knew anything about them nor how they ended up under their seat.... so i placed the remaining frag under a frag table for 5 min.... and the cooler was gone... I checked the table for the frags, I had them in zip lock bags, they were not there.... I just find it sad.. and a bit upsetting... it wasnt the price of them, they were not mine... and to top it off, I had to explain that some one was a thief... no good.... not good at all...
Old 02/12/2006, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

Many coolers do look alike, but I do think some thing was definitly wrong with the first missing piece. Either way, that sucks Nicholas.
Old 02/12/2006, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

There were a couple of kids running around more than a bit out of control, imo.. not trying to deflect, or point fingers, but just commenting.

We kept out "main" cooler out in the car and carried a "portable" one on a strap sling across our shoulder, like a purse. When the portable one got full, one of us would make a run out to the car to transfer the contents to the main cooler. Having heard this from you, I am glad that we did so.

Regardless, we are sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience. Too much more of that and ASAP will quit allowing BAR to hold it's events there for fear of anything else "walking"
Old 02/12/2006, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

nicholaus,

nice to meet you at the swap... and im sorry to hear about what happened... karma will definitely get those folks back.
Old 02/13/2006, 01:06 AM
Tailspot Blenny

nicholas,
thanks for bringing the ric for me! don't worry about getting another one. whoever it was who took it, took it from me as much as you. You did me a favor on bringing it over.

It sucks that it came down to this! I mean it's a frag swap where you're getting frags for basically no money, how could you go so low? Very odd, and somewhat crazy. They must've been a compulsive taker, otherwise who would want to steal at an event like that?

It looks like we'll all have to watch our coolers more closely. It's sad to say =( padlocks? bike chains to the chairs? boo =(

I did like Tom did after I heard what happened to nicholas. It's not bad especially since I got a nice parking spot close to the door.
Old 02/13/2006, 01:14 AM
reef princess

I cant believe this to be on purpose. Every swap I have been to, I have left my cooler out in the relative open and never lost anything.
Old 02/13/2006, 01:19 AM
Lap San

first time i heard it's happen at any swap.that suck regardless.i just left mine with 3 other coolers siting on a chair and went outside have a nice bbq sanwich until it's our turn.gl

lapsan
Old 02/13/2006, 01:28 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

GreshamH, hows it going bro? get in contact with me...
Old 02/13/2006, 01:32 AM
AEFW Assasinator

This is one of those things that you hate to hear, and you dread at a public event.

I agree bad karma will come back triple fold to those who do dishonest things.

Like you said as a group most of us are honest, and more than willing to help each other out. Unfortunately, it just takes one person to screw it up for everybody else.
Old 02/13/2006, 03:03 AM
Registered Member

Ya, my cooler was with two others and the only thing that the 3 of us lost.............was someone's chair :P.

I am sorry that happen to you Nicholas and ya it is really shocking that you can't even trust people to be honest in a event that is suppose to help educate people and fun.

If it is the children, we need to cage em!
Old 02/13/2006, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your Icebox Nicholas, your loss effects us as much as it affects you

Speaking of dishonestly, there is another situation that occurred at the frag swap which needs to be addressed. Because we had the choice seats next to the entrance of the coral picking area, we saw and recognized many of the faces that entered. It was specifically stated that even with a Blue ticket, each participant can only enter ONCE per round yet this was not so. We spotted a "Certain Somebody" entering with a blue then going again in his designated letter. Sure all we can do is rely on honestly and a good conscience but sometimes, it just isnt enough to keep the pickin's fair.....=/
Needless to say.........Spite has filled our minds towards this Special somebady, and yes you will be watched at the next swap, Keep that in Mind

YOU WILL BE WATCHED!
Old 02/13/2006, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Lol there was a lot of things that were going on where a few of us were just laughing hard about...oh well!

Lets be happy we got something.
Old 02/13/2006, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

I hate locking my car when I leave it, im used to driving a convertible, I dont even closes my garage door sometimes... locking up corals is a bit extreme... at least for me... I was hesitant to post this thread, but after my maid stole 1k in American Express gift cards the day after x-mas, and used them at every 7 eleven she passed....im a bit fed up... koden wait untill my orange ones split again...
Old 02/13/2006, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psionicdragon
Lol there was a lot of things that were going on where a few of us were just laughing hard about...oh well!

Lets be happy we got something.

Will you PM me what happenned to you?
Old 02/13/2006, 11:39 AM
No Bonds in Oakland!!!!!!

sorry to hear this Nicholas and koden, I dislike theives. they single handedly manage to ruin any event they are at.
Old 02/13/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

wow,
i missed the swap. it sounds horrible that people took advantage and partly ruined one of the best things about the community. Who ever you are you SUCK, YOU ARE A THIEF. I consider both persons referred to as thiefs. either they took an extra turn stealing from other members or they stole from crazzy. People these days every one wants to think their special I just dont get it anymore.
Well the problems are all easily solved, but would require about 3-4 extra volunteers.
Mike

krav maga stay in the fight
Old 02/13/2006, 02:49 PM
PKSN

At any BAR event, if you see someone doing something they shouldn't be doing, please tell someone about it so it can be addressed on the spot. I think that is much better than allowing bad feelings to fester after the event. We really don't need to have 'certain someones' who need to be watched, and it may be a case of simple misunderstanding.

Nicholas, sorry about what happened. My gut feeling is that someone saw the cooler in the area where things were being recontainered and your cooler got swept up in the efforts. I may be wrong, but I like to think the best of people. Either way, sorry it happened.
Old 02/13/2006, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

I know of several people who had things for sale, who got ripped off by the people who came to buy their items. Turn your back for a minute, or leave the room for something, and "SNATCH" something gets stolen, often, something of serious value...OR, someone comes to buy something, then, co-incidentally, they get burglarized within a couple of days, and their goodies stolen.
As much as we want to trust each other in this hobby, not everyone is as honest as we'd like to think
This is the first time I've heard of such at one of the BAR swaps, but I remember several bags disappearing at the old BARE propagation meetings...even if they had someone elses name on them. you have to deep an eye on your stuff unfortunately.
Old 02/13/2006, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Sorry about the theft Nicholas. Really surprised to hear that. I was sitting outside with Lapsan went someone told us...we were shocked!

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 02/13/2006, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

"Everyone has the same cooler as I do" was my first thought going through the doors. I wrapped a piece of one of those warning tapes on the handle of my igloo to allow my cooler to stand out so no-one would "accidently" take my cooler if I were to leave it under a chair. I too have found most reefers i've met to be very friendly and honest but being in a small room with that many people made me a little cautious in leaving my backpack just sitting on one of the chairs, which is the reason why I wore it around. Better safe than sorry.

Sucks to know that happened...
Old 02/13/2006, 04:38 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Sorry to hear about all this. Hopefully, it was an honest 'wrong cooler' mistake.

Hate to think it was any of the children, as stated earlier. In defense of my son, he was asleep most of the time . The boy doesn't have a 'klepto' bone in his body, and probably would have delivered a swift snap-kick if he'd have seen any wrongdoing
Old 02/13/2006, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

well the weekend got worst... I came to my apartment complex only to find about 12-15k worth of my equipment gone... dealt with the police all morrning ... Insurance will cover it but my rate will increase also.... its going to be one of those weeks... as for the wrong cooler, the first pieces missing were removed prior to the swap, and placed under a chair...the second time...yea it could have been re-packaged, but then it would have been in the swap, those corals were not... lesson learned...
Old 02/13/2006, 05:12 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Aww, man! You've been hit bad this week. I hope you're not being targeted specifically by someone.

Good luck with the investigation
Old 02/13/2006, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Very sorry to hear about that. It defnitely sucks.

I was thinking the same as reefnutz, i hope you're not being targetted specifically by someone. Did you get your equipment stolen when you were at the swap? Who else would know you have all that equipment unless its a fellow reefer who's been to your place. And would choose a day that you wouldn't be home for a long period of time.

Good luck with the investigation and i hope the person who took your stuff gets caught.
Old 02/13/2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HybridFish
"Everyone has the same cooler as I do" was my first thought going through the doors. I wrapped a piece of one of those warning tapes on the handle of my igloo to allow my cooler to stand out so no-one would "accidently" take my cooler if I were to leave it under a chair. I too have found most reefers i've met to be very friendly and honest but being in a small room with that many people made me a little cautious in leaving my backpack just sitting on one of the chairs, which is the reason why I wore it around. Better safe than sorry.

Sucks to know that happened...
I noticed the samething with my cooler so I went to the car, got some spare climbing rope and wrapped it around the handle as well. It's like being in an airport baggage claim.