Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/09/2006, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Kent Salt ?

Anyone using the 200g mix? opinions or anyone heard good or bad ?
Old 02/09/2006, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

i used to use it when i first set up my tank. i love the stuff. no real reason why, but my params were always in order when i used it (that could have been beginners luck though). the only reason i dont use it now is that no one in st. louis sells the stuff. i would use the heck out of the stuff if any store in st. louis carried it for a reasonable price (hint, hint)
Old 02/09/2006, 10:32 AM
Moved On

If the salt is a good brand, and I think Kent is a good brand (rookie talking here)... It might be a good thing to get a local store to carry it. Price per Gallon seems lower on all the sites I have looked at. The bucket makes 200 gallons instead of 150 like all the other brands. The bigger the bulk a container makes, the bigger the saving for the end user.

Will be interesting to see if more people have opinions on this brand of salt mix.
Old 02/09/2006, 11:32 AM
Team RC Member

Here is a good link and if you read down, there are only 3 salt mixes they list Tropic Marin, IO, and Kent as being the best at approximating NSW. There do mention that all have thier problems though. Dr. Shimek has a beef with this study as it appears to be a direct argument with his study that Crystal Sea Bioassay mix was the best and there is enough evidence if you go digging to think that there may be some of that going on. And in this study I will disagree with the Oceanic calcium levels they state as from my experience I was getting 600 ppm Ca as well as a ton of other people have witnessed. But anyway just trying to show you that the Kent appears (at least here) to be a good salt mix.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1
Old 02/09/2006, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Something to consider is that Dr Rons study didn't really care about the indicated or measured numbers. His study was based on the survival of sea urchin larva, a particularly sensitive animal that is commonly used for environmental testing.

He also has stated that there is every reason to think that in the 6 years since his study, many of the tested salts have been reformulated. He, like everyone else, has also noted the differences between 2 batches of the very same brand.

I think that I've read horror stories on just about every brand of salt available. Pick your poison.

Venture forth and enjoy life .... the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.
Old 02/09/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks for the help, I hadnt heard anything bad about it,but wanted to see if anyone else had !
Old 02/20/2006, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

Kent is currently having a problem with their mix. Read these 2 threads:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=kent+salt

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=kent+salt