Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/01/2006, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Arrow How do you build a GFCI outlet board??? (Pic included)

Hey All,

I see a lot of people with GFCI outlets boards (for lack of better wording), with switches to turn off certain outlets for pumps lights etc...
Here are some examples from google searches...

and

I was just wondering if anyone has some links to help me build this,
Also will this require rewiring the outlet in my wall, or can it just run almost like a powerbar off my existing outlet.

Thanks for any help
Old 02/01/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

If you're new to wiring & want to do this I suggest a trip to Home Depot/Lowes & get a book on house wiring.

Or.........you can get a GFCI outlet adaptor & plug your power strip in.

FWIW - the above (unless they're all individual circuits) is overkill - a GFCI will protect all outlets "downstream".
Old 02/01/2006, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
FWIW - the above (unless they're all individual circuits) is overkill - a GFCI will protect all outlets "downstream".
I was just thinking the same thing.

A GFCI power strip cost me $15 at Home Depot. As long as you don't exceed the power rating, you can daisy chain off of the GFCI and all of you downstream connections are covered.
Old 02/01/2006, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

http://www.fireshield.com/PowerStrips_info.htm

This is the unit from Home Depot.
Old 02/01/2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

You can click on my red house for my stand build. I made a similar power center for my tank and there is some detail on page 2 of my thread.

Steve
Old 02/01/2006, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Check out this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=765280

As long as you plug it into a GFCI outlet, every outlet on there is protected as stated above.

Thanks again Melev!
Old 02/01/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

I did something similar to ours.

And we are aware that only one GFCI was necessary, however, this offers us the ability to have something short out - still be protected, but not shut the whole tank down. So, if for example, a powerhead trips the GFCI, only the powerhead portion gets killed, but the return pump, lights, heaters, fans, etc stay operational. So if by chance it were to happen while we were out of town, at least some water would be circulated, the lights would stay on, etc. So, unless there was some major catastrophe, the whole system would never shut down.
Old 02/01/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev
I did something similar to ours.

And we are aware that only one GFCI was necessary, however, this offers us the ability to have something short out - still be protected, but not shut the whole tank down. So, if for example, a powerhead trips the GFCI, only the powerhead portion gets killed, but the return pump, lights, heaters, fans, etc stay operational. So if by chance it were to happen while we were out of town, at least some water would be circulated, the lights would stay on, etc. So, unless there was some major catastrophe, the whole system would never shut down.
This is also a great idea, I just think most people decide not to go your route when they find GFCI's can run $10-$12 at your local hardware store.

Kinda silly not to spend the extra few dollars though considering the overall cost of losing your whole tank....
Old 02/01/2006, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

We got lucky and found the GFCIs for $5.99 each at Harbor Freight. I freaked out when I had to buy GFCIs at Home Depot for $9.99 each when setting up my prop tank, but I did it for that same reason.
Old 02/01/2006, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

I was looking at using a GFcI from a spa to carry the whole tank. Most come with a breaker as well but I have not researched enough to say it would work or not.
Old 02/02/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanx for all the help thus far,
I think I am seeing how to get this done.

I have a couple of questions for Countertopguy...
I hope you dont mind me copying your wiring diagram here for reference.

For the above diagram...
The green is the ground.
The gold is the hot wire (brass screw)
The silver (or grey) is the neutral.

I think I understand it all, the only thing is when you state "Plug" how are you actually connecting this to your power supply? Are you taking out the outlet in your wall and hooking it right up to that? Also, in the diagram you showed two outlets, for more I am assuming its nothing different except where you state "plug" it would just follow to the next outlet to be wired? And finally the "Wire nuts", what do these guys look like and where could I get them?

PS... the setup you built in that thread is amazing... some nice work!

Thanx for any help!
Old 02/02/2006, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I basically made my own extension cord from 12Ga wire and a male plug. The other end of the "extension cord" is hard wired into the outlets on the power center making the power center a very elaborate "power strip" Lowes sells an excellent cord in the wiring department for this purpose. It is available in 10, 12 and 14 ga (I think it's ga) It is very flexible and water resistant. I used these to make many extension cords in various lengths for my lights etc.
Wire nuts are the little plastic thimble looking things used to secure two wires together. Make sure you get the right size for the wire your using.

Thanks for the nice comments about my stand.

Steve
Old 02/02/2006, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

if you only use one gfi and it trips it also trips all the other outlet in series. if you use all gfi and wire them parallel, when one trips the others will not. it makes sure everything in your tank does not shut off at the same time