Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/30/2006, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Fox Face in a reef??

I've heard of people keeping Fox Face fish in reef tanks. What I want to know is, is it a bad idea to keep one of these guys in a reef, and if they are a threat to coral/inverts or other fish. I would love to get one but I have had people tell me they would nip LPS, and harass smaller fish. Anyone have experiences or insight they can help me with. Thanks for your time.

Mike
Old 01/31/2006, 01:02 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Mine is awesome.
They are herbivores so should not be a threat to inverts at all.
Like any fish though, they can get territorial but are genreally well mannered.

Sean
Old 01/31/2006, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I have a magnificent foxface. All soft and one SPS. He's a big chicken, and never bothers any of the corals. Beautiful, too!
Old 01/31/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

I have had my Foxface in a reef w/LPS, SPS & Softies for about 8 months with no problems. Great fish.
Old 01/31/2006, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Same Ive never had a problem either.
Old 01/31/2006, 05:51 PM
This is my Passion

Great fish..they love to pal up with Kole tangs for some reason.
Old 01/31/2006, 06:14 PM
SCMAS Member

I have had mine for 2 years in a reef tank. He is 8 inches long and gets along with everyone. Never nips at corals or inverts.
Old 02/01/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

If you have to stick your hand in the tank, do they run and hide or, do you have to be cautious and watch out?? Also I have a small Yellow Tang, would the Tang pick on him?
Old 02/01/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

SINNERMF,

There's no need to be overly worried about being stung. They dont come after you like a poisonous monster . When you stick your hand in the tank, they'll likely dive in the rocks, and at the very least they'll dart to the other side of the tank.

The tang shouldnt bother the foxface once the foxface shows the tang its spines as a warning a few times.
Old 02/01/2006, 10:16 PM
Just reefin' it...

You should be fine keeping one in a reef. They can be a bit finnicky at first and can have trouble with tangs and large angels. Try a variety of foods initially to get the fish to eat and feel secure with the environment. Once acclimated well foxface are great fish. The need a good amount of algae in their diet so I keep algae on an algae clip every morning. Foxface can also be a "messy" fish, meaning they eat a lot and produce a good amount of waste.

Hope this helps.
Old 02/02/2006, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

I have a bicolor that is a little on the shy side but once he sees food in the water he could care less how close I am to the tank. Never aggressive to anybody in the tank unless they give him greef first.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 02/02/2006, 05:03 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by LukFox
SINNERMF,

There's no need to be overly worried about being stung. They dont come after you like a poisonous monster . When you stick your hand in the tank, they'll likely dive in the rocks, and at the very least they'll dart to the other side of the tank.

The tang shouldnt bother the foxface once the foxface shows the tang its spines as a warning a few times.
I have to say..that from my experience working with the foxface lo and even some rabbitfish...you have to watch them slightly as they are the friendliest fish and at feeding time will dance around your hand popping their spines up and down in excitement.The one at the shop would eat right out of our hands and let us pet him.I have also noticed as I said that they usually become friends with tangs and they will swim side by side.
Old 02/02/2006, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, ours follows our naso around like a lost puppy dog!
Old 02/02/2006, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

waterfaller1,

Mine eats from my hand as well. Very friendly fish, but when I'm doing tank maintenance and there's no food around, he heads for cover and you can mess with the tank without being worried. Hopefully if you hand feed one, you're paying close attention, though!
Old 02/02/2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Mine picks at my lps. hides when you move near the tank and doesn't seem to eat much alge.
When i move tanks he is going back to the store.
Very colourful and easy to care for though.
But for mine fish only tank.
Old 02/02/2006, 07:49 PM
Go Sooners!

Mine hangs out with my yellow tang and PBT. Eats nori like crazy and like a pig I must add. He even eats it right out of my hand
I keep him in my 125 reef and there have been no problems. Just keep him well fed.
Old 02/04/2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 02/04/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

My foxface is fine never nips at lps.He did attack my toadstool leather once.Loves algae.

If you only have one hand will second hand smoking affect you?
Old 02/07/2006, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

That's funny, my foxface and kole tang are best buds. He's a chicken unless you have food in your hand- then he comes right up to you. the only way he'd sting you is by accident. If there is nori in the tank, he won't tough anything else.