Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

CAUTION! Aquapod 12 shocking!!!

I have the same problem that other aquapod 12 users have.
You can't use 2 timers for the daylites & atinics. They have 2 switches
and 2 seperate power cords (actually they have 4 cords, one for the pump and moon lights). They have them wired wrong, while I was trying to figure why the timers didn't operate the lights correctly I unpluged one of the cords from the timer and touched the plug prongs with my hands and ZAP!!!!! With one light pluged in the ourtlet and the other one unpluged it has power to the exposed prongs. Good thing my hands were dry, My wife could of owned Current USA!

I will call Current USA Tuesday and keep you informed!

SHOCKED but alive,
Dirk
Old 01/02/2006, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

That is why you only touch something with one finger, if it shocks you your muscles will flex and your fingers will not stay clamped.
Old 01/02/2006, 07:04 PM
sarcastic reply expert

Quote:
Originally posted by nodbugger
That is why you only touch something with one finger, if it shocks you your muscles will flex and your fingers will not stay clamped.
the point is that he shouldnt have gotten shocked by an unplugged plug in the first place.

do let us know what you find out.
Old 01/02/2006, 07:22 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

maybe another reason why people should just avoid all of the aquapods and nanocubes all together??

seems to me like they all cause more problems then actually simplifying things.

go with AGA.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/02/2006, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfnvb7
maybe another reason why people should just avoid all of the aquapods and nanocubes all together??

go with AGA.

Ahh cmon now....

Bob
Old 01/02/2006, 07:46 PM

JMO......

I'd say they are useful to the kids and other beginners, or for a small desk at work or whatever...if they didn't seem to have so many problems.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/02/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Picture to show current in unpluged light
Old 01/02/2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/02/2006, 08:08 PM

gooooood lordy..... how is that possible?? how does a plug that is not plugged in have current?? man, that is crazy!

post somethin about this on the nano-reef forums, see if they've had experience.

do you happen to have an amp/volt meter on hand? to see what kind of current is running through that plug.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/03/2006, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

Whoa, and thats on the male plug! i thought you were speaking of a female recepticle, until i saw your pics. possible lawsuit somewhere.
Old 01/03/2006, 05:01 AM
Registered Member

I wouldnt say touching it with anything other then a multimeter is a good idea... but if you had to I would say back of your hand over anything.
Old 01/03/2006, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

looks like an effective tazer or stun gun.. be careful, buy a dog, zap it to death then sue for a few million dollars because their poor wireing killed your best friend. just joking.

but do be careful
Old 01/03/2006, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Tell you what, I have the 12 and was going to swap it for the 24 when it came in. I have the trouble with the timers and also received a shock this weekend.
I think seriously of forgetting about these cubes. They are unique looking and fun, but the M-Tanks look like they are better constructed, Finnex makes them and they come in 20 and 32 gallons.
Old 01/03/2006, 10:14 AM
Now give me a dollar!

Quote:

go with AGA.
Truer words have not been spoken.
Old 01/03/2006, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
gooooood lordy..... how is that possible?? how does a plug that is not plugged in have current?? man, that is crazy!

post somethin about this on the nano-reef forums, see if they've had experience.

do you happen to have an amp/volt meter on hand? to see what kind of current is running through that plug.
Checked it today with my volt meter

120 VOLTS Ouch!!!!!!

Dirk
Old 01/03/2006, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

I checked my 12 today and had the same result. I called my LFS and told him this is going back, I no longer want the 24. I then called Premium Aquatics and ordered the 32 gallon M-Tank. It will be here at the end of the week and I will switch everything over.

The only thing I couldn't do with the M-Tank is add MH lights as the center brace on the 32 would not be a good thing to do according to them. That is ok I am just learning and probably won't do SPS this soon.

I don't see how anyone can buy these cube-tanks with any degree of confidence.
Old 01/03/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Called Current-USA and spoke to Ike about my problem with the Aquapod 12, he said that only a hand few had lighting issues and they would do whatever it takes to correct the problem to my satisfaction. Replacement part (parts) are on the way.
Great company to do business with and they stand behind thier products.

Like any new products sometimes bugs need to be worked out. It is nice to know that some companies ( Current) take pride in thier products, and now how to make a bad situation better!
I can't wait to get mine all stocked up.

Dirk

PS I still have my 24 on order! Shock or no Shock
Old 01/03/2006, 09:40 PM
Now give me a dollar!

No slight to current usa but stray voltage and water are a really bad combination. I am amazed that these made it to market.
Imagine how many people may have bought these for their kids room?

Carl
Old 01/03/2006, 09:48 PM
Moved On

hey,

lgreen here from www.nano-reef.com

Here is the word at nano-reef.com:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...pic=75466&st=0
Old 01/03/2006, 09:55 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Are they UL listed/approved?
Old 01/03/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Dirk,
How do I check my 12gal AquaPod if I do not have a meter and I don't want to chance a shock by touching on of the plugs while unplugged?
Thanks for the info from Current USA. I knew they would stand by their product. IMHO I can't see a company risking their reputation with such a major error and not fixing it.
Old 01/03/2006, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Pick up a small votage reader at the hardware store for 2 or 3 dollars. They have a small light and two probes. Touch the probes to the plug- if the light goes on, you have a winner!

That's what I did today after I noticed the timers were not operating correctly.
Mine's going back. And I do not want a replacement.
Old 01/03/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjoz
Dirk,
How do I check my 12gal AquaPod if I do not have a meter and I don't want to chance a shock by touching on of the plugs while unplugged?
Thanks for the info from Current USA. I knew they would stand by their product. IMHO I can't see a company risking their reputation with such a major error and not fixing it.
Do like diverdan814 said JUST BE CAREFUL! On mine I put one probe of ther tester on the ground probe of the plug and the other on the prong of the plug. If it lights up you have a problem. Let your supplier or Current know. They will make things right.

To me, it looks like a quality product. They just have a issue with a few of the 12 gal pods sold. Current makes quality products and stands behind what they sell! Thats what really counts to me.

Dirk
Old 01/03/2006, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

Thank you both. I will run by WalMart in the morning and pick one up. I still like my AquaPod and I don't want to get rid of it. I'm hoping mine doesn't have a problem. I'll find out tomorrow. Why would they give an example Timer Program (7 days per week) in their instructions sheets if they knew there was a problem. This reads:
LED Light-Leave on 24 hours per day.
Dual Actinic-Turn on at 7 am.
Dual Daylight-Turn on at 8 am.
Dual Daylight-Turn off at 7 pm.
Dual Actinic-Turn off at 8 pm.
I still have to believe this is a fluk and there are not very many with this problem. Maybe I'm naive.
Old 01/04/2006, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

This is a major wiring issue, as you can see from the photos, all the black wires (live wire) are connected together.

This is a serious hazard and should be corrected. I took the pictures from my Aquapod before modding it.