Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2005, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Question best fluorescent bulb

Everyone,
If you could have only one fluorescent bulb over your tank. (like a nano) What bulb would you use? I need a bulb for a single bulb fixture for my nano. It takes an 18 inch T8 bulb (standard for 20inch fixtures)

I really like the color of my Current Orbit fixture. It has 1 dual actinic and 1 dual daylight. Is there a single bulb that would be close to this coloration?

I've heard that the 50/50 bulbs can be pinkish. Should I go with a 10,000K or 20,000K fluorescent instead?

Thanks
Old 12/31/2005, 07:19 PM
RC Mod

I am not a nano guy, but personally would worry more about how to get more bulbs/better lights over the tank than which one single bulb would be best.
Perhaps some of these nano reefers will help you along with your decision
Old 01/01/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else? What is the best looking single bulb I can get?
Old 01/01/2006, 05:20 PM
The one, The only

i dont think that many people use reguar NO flourescent bulbs for reef tanks. you might have success short term, but i think the corals will loose color over time. you might wnat to invest in a better light fixture (T5, compact flourescent....)

"How do you guys drink that Natural?" - DPS
Old 01/01/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Guys,
I honestly do know what I'm doing here... I'm just looking for an answer to the question: "what bulb looks best on its own". No corals are in jeopardy, the bulb is not for corals.

So, can anyone tell me which single bulb will give me the BEST COLOR? That is all I need to know.

Thanks
Old 01/02/2006, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

1 bulb? get a 96w PC quad bulb. It comes in a 20in long fixture the bulb itself is 17in long. I have one, its good.
Old 01/02/2006, 05:25 PM
Moved On

Simple question, simple answer

For some reason, you don't seem to be getting a straight answer to your question.

A single T8 18" normal output flluorescent bulb may not be ideal, but if you want something reasonably bright with a nice balanced color, try an All-Glass 8000K full spectrum, about $9 mail-order from Drs F&S. G.E.'s Aqua Rays Fresh/Salt 9325K is also good. Add a polished reflector if possible. Even a strip of reflective mylar over the bulb will add to the intensity.
Old 01/02/2006, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Thanks AGILIS!
Old 01/02/2006, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

I would say a 14000K light and i wouldnt reccomend putting any coral in there.