Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Best submersible pump

Ok here's the plan, i need to upgrade my submersible return pump for a closed loop system. Im currently running a Hagen AquaClear 901 and it lose's quite alot of power through only a few feet of hose. Im looking for something in the 1500 GPH range, price is no issue. Also i need something that wont crap out through aprox 5-6' of 3.4" tubing. What do you guy's think is the VERY BEST submersible pump on the market ?
Old 12/17/2005, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

i like magdrives bc they're easy to maintain and super reliable. the downside is the heat output.

if you really want 1500gph you may want to increase the tubing size. this a big reason for the loss. the increased frictionis slowing things down. if you could step up to 1in it would help a lot.

Old 12/17/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah i forgot to mention this system is running through a SCWD unfortunately. So 3.4" is about all i can pull off, thx for the advice though =)
Old 12/17/2005, 06:32 PM
It tastes like burning

I like my Mag drive. I use a Mag 18 on my 180. I haven't experienced any issues with heat, or actually any other problems with it.
Old 12/17/2005, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

A lot of people on here will bash mag's, i haven't had problems with my mags, but understand EHEIMS are the submersible of choice. Now if could do external....
Old 12/18/2005, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Oh man external's ... i wish!! lol I'd go with the Eheims but i think the biggest they make the 1262 only has an output of 898 gph. The quiet one's look pretty good but i think im going to take everyones advice and go with the Mag 18. The chart's look pretty good as far as head load through 6 feet. U guy's think that will provide enough flow through my 3. 4" tubing 6' through a SCWD? Its a 40 gallon breeder with SPS and LPS.
Old 12/18/2005, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

That's alot of flow through the sump for a 40g. Why not keep your current return pump and do a seperate closed loop? Other wise your going to have a major micro bubble problem. A mag quiet one or eheim would work great for that.
Old 12/18/2005, 12:35 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

If you TRULY say you want "VERY BEST" and "price is no issue" there is no question that the world's finest hobbyist pump is the Red Dragon, made by Royal Exclusive. Quiet, low heat transfer, INCREDIBLY strong for a small pump. The 6.5 m3 is probably the one you're looking for.

http://www.finsreef.com/home.php?cat=281
http://english.royal-exclusiv.de/index2.htm
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=680201

Check for moonpods plumbing thread also. Its possible the smaller model 4.5 might actually push 1,500GPH since German products have a higher output in the States due to voltage or hZ or something like that.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 12/18/2005, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

pump

I like quiet ones
Old 12/18/2005, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisc615
That's alot of flow through the sump for a 40g. Why not keep your current return pump and do a seperate closed loop? Other wise your going to have a major micro bubble problem. A mag quiet one or eheim would work great for that.
Do u mean keep 1 return line with the old pump and get a second pump to run the SCWD with ?
Old 12/18/2005, 03:17 PM
Fish Addict

As Fliger stated, if price is truly not an issue go with the red dragon. Otherwise I like ehiems. After that, well, mags are "ok", but the larger mags IME run very, very hot