Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2005, 10:27 AM
Chief Cat Herder

Free Chaeto

Anyone need some Chaeto? I'll bring it to the meeting tomorrow night (12/16).

I've got four bags. First come, first serve.

Anyone have some gracilia?

My bristle worms ate all the starter algae I got from Randy before it could take hold. They seem to like the red algae. My red grape algae is real popular with them too.
Old 12/15/2005, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Hey Brian, I'll take a small bag (maybe quart size) if it's available. The tangs love it!
Old 12/15/2005, 10:54 PM
Chief Cat Herder

The four bags are smaller than a quart. It doesn't take much to get it going. In any case, one has your name on it. If there are extra you are welcome to them.
Old 12/16/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

I have gracilia, but it's not growing very fast (if at all). It's in my sump next to the cheato. I think there may be too much competition, or perhaps come chemical warfare going on . The cheato is still going strong, and I feed it to the tangs and foxface to keep it under controll. I haven't dared to feed them any gracilia yet.

I'm hoping to finish my refugium in January, if it takes off after that I'll be ready to share. If you have any ideas on what else might be going on please let me know.
Old 12/16/2005, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Just out of curiosity - is it ok to feed the cheato to your tang? Does cheato add any nutritious value to their diet? Should I just stick to seaweed?
Old 12/16/2005, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Merry Christmas to you too! Hope theres still a bag when I get the
re
Old 12/16/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

I can use one if still available.

Anthony
Old 12/17/2005, 11:51 AM
Chief Cat Herder

I hope everyone that wanted some got some. I think between Minh and I we had it pretty well covered.

Fragmented (Lisa?) I would like some Gracilaria when you have extra. Randy Reed said it was fast growing.
Old 12/17/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to send a big THANK YOU for the chaeto. My fuge needed a little replenishment and I got a few little hitchhiker brittle stars to boot!
Old 12/17/2005, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the DI resin.

I heard Randy say that fast growing thing too. It just hasn't happened here yet. I'll let you know when it does.

---Rachelle

Last edited by Fragmented; 12/17/2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12/17/2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the Cheeto's Bri and Congrats on the WMC certificate!
Old 12/17/2005, 06:33 PM
Chief Cat Herder

Redfish

You are welcome. I'm not sure where those microstars came from. They are doing well in my tank.

Rachelle

Sorry for the mix up. Why can't you guys use your real names for your screen names like me and ???. We'll I guess I'm the only one foolish enough to do that. I had to go up Greenback toward Sunrise to pick my daughter up today. I saw a lot of people wearing your costume

Rich

You are welcome. It will be nice to go to the WMC as an attendee. Thanks again for all the frags. They're doing well.
Old 12/17/2005, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

I think the microstarts actually came from the chaeto that Richard brought for me. He was extreamly generious and gave me huge bag. I've got a 5gal HOB fuge. Tony had told me he had a large fuge, so I traded bags with him. That way none went to waste.
Old 12/17/2005, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

David-Thanks for that trade too. With my skimmer out of commision until Monday, I could use the extra nutrient control. Needless to say, that was a big bag of chaeto, and my fuge is bulging...[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...s_o_chaeto.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12/18/2005, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

np..glad it all got used
Old 12/18/2005, 12:52 PM
Chief Cat Herder

It is funny what you find growing inside those chaeto balls. I have mine tubling about 20 RPM so it grows pretty dense.

When I split it in half to prune it I find three or four 2" tube worms, the red ones with the calcium carbonate tubes. I've pruned it three time since I got it from Pam a couple months ago and I've found them every time. The tubes are shattered by the prunning process. I'm not sure if they are the same worms or new ones. Could you imagine living in a ball that's tumbling at 20 RPM.

My microstars live mostly in my photosynthetic sponge. I haven't noticed any in my chaeto but I'll keep an eye out for them.
Old 12/18/2005, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

I found another, different microstar this morn when i flicked the lights on early. I know they're kind of plane-jane, but I was giddy enough to take pics. I think the process of watching a tank gain and support micro-diversity is the most enjoyable thing about reef systems, so I suppose I'm saying thanks again in a round about fashion
Old 12/18/2005, 03:10 PM
Chief Cat Herder

"watching a tank gain and support micro-diversity is the most enjoyable thing about reef systems"

no doubt!!!